Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Photos of crowded peaks?

Camera equipment and technique for taking photos.
Forum rules
Please do not use this forum to try and sell your photos or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.

Re: Photos of crowded peaks?

Postby Fred North » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:30 am

It wasn't just this post. It's been many posts over the past six years that I've been a member so it has had a cumulative effect. I even saw a T-shirt on one visit that read "Committee to Send the Tourists Home." I've ignored it for the most part. This just happened to be the post that overflowed my cup.
Exactly...these go to 11 -- Nigel Tufnel

Postby forbins_mtn » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:37 am

i have no issues with crowded peaks. for the 10 of them that are crowded there are hundreds that have no one. As seasoned climbers as we are on here we know the difference. We know what to expect. I love that hiking at altitude is such a beautiful way for people to get exercise. Kudos to them! I struggled with being in shape, losing weight, and having goals that would motivate me to stay healthy. When I found hiking I instantly had a weekly goal to eat right and exercise - so I could make it to the top on the weekends! When I got in shape a few years ago I dropped 30lbs. I did with a group of people who had one time goals(run a 1/2 marathon, fit in a wedding dress) and when they achieved those goals they went back to their old ways. I found a goal that keeps going and I've never gone a week without running or lifting multiple times a week - just so i can climb.

I climbed the Citadel yesterday, and me and my partner were the only ones on the peak. But we looked over at Grays/Torreys and could imagine the large crowds. We all have dozens upon dozens of options each day to do peaks with no crowds.

Postby summitstep » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:24 am

Sure is getting crowded on this thread :roll:

People, most of us enjoy moments of solitude. But none of us is alone in this world. ALL of us were drawn for some reason to put our feet for the first time on a summit, and many of us now can't stop coming back, and so begins the making of a crowd. This forum is a community of people made up of a common passion. Members are constantly reaching out to each other for companions. It is only logical we will cross paths with each other and the many newcomers that we once were. This forum is also where all of us share our love for the mountains and any outsider is captivated by the excitement and energy, and many will also come out and come up. So be it.

"You call someplace paradise, you're kissing it good-bye" We don't necessarily have to kiss it good-bye, but we don't own it. Let it go. Be grateful that on occasion the summit or trail is yours to have all to yourself for a moment, be grateful that you have the chance to be on a trail or summit at all, or as often as many of you can; be grateful that others are there to share what you have discovered and help them learn to love it as well. And be willing to sometimes be tolerant because it is not going to change and some folks won't think things out like us/you/me. Just like on the flats where we all live.

I would love to have my own mountain summit. But I have been grateful that I have shared most of mine with others (largely not with me and strangers to me).
It would be a pleasure to share one with all of you.

Bring your best to the mountains. Bring your best to the forum. Climb on, climb high, climb happy.
"In this high country that we love, trails are steep. We climb each mile, breath by breath, and at the threshold of pain, bliss overtakes us."

"It's called CRAZY. And somehow, when you are bent over your poles, staring at your boots- heart heaving and trying not to cough your lung onto a rock= you look up...and you are looking down over all those beautiful mountains....and you wouldn't want to be anywhere else."

"For all the richness of normal, everyday life, it is good sometimes to trespass high in the sky, and live with uncommon intensity, experiencing something that gets close to the sublime."

Postby MuchosPixels » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:58 am

Lemmiwinks wrote:I don't think these pictures anger people because they are selfish, antisocial, and want the summit to themselves. Rather I think it's the fact that these peaks experience so much usage and are scarred by erosion. If you want a summit to yourself, it's possible on every single 14er in Colorado.

So true. I went up BARR Trail March 29th 2011. I stayed in Barr Camp and only saw 4-5 people on the way there. And on my summit day I did not see Anyone at all the whole morning up to when I had to turn around about 13,000 ft (straight up the snow gully) and back down to camp. Not one person. Yeah, the 60-90mph winds at the summit might have had something to do with that but hey. I had Barr Trail all to myself. (well above A Frame there was no trail :mrgreen: )

Postby Oldskool70 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:05 am

Fred North wrote:The first post was a simple request for a photo. It turned into another thread peppered with angry rants against crowds on summits that always seem focused on tourists.

Why does it anger so many of you that I want to visit Colorado and hike in the Rocky Mountains. We no longer live there but every year we visit, bringing our family, friends and over the years tens of thousands of "tourist" dollars. We put those dollars in the pockets of your friends and neighbors who work at the airport, rent us cars, feed us in restaurants, put gas in our rental car, own the cabins we always rent and sell us groceries and and the occasional T-Shirt.

Without the mountains that we love to hike, you would not be able to attract the business that moves into the state for the quality of outdoor life. Without tourists you are Nebraska but further from most of the population of America. You are just another state that I have to drive through or fly over to enjoy the beauty of Utah.

I loved living in Colorado, our daughter was born while we lived there. I am worn out on the ignorance and bad attitude of so many who believe that the trails and peaks are their personal domain. I hike in "national" parks and "national" forests, not in your yard.

We were invited to Utah as an alternative to Colorado for our trip this coming summer. Maybe it's time we consider making the change, taking our "tourist" dollars and several Colorado jobs with us. Tourism accounts for 11.3% of all jobs in Colorado. Tourism is one of the largest industries in Colorado in terms of jobs, employing 144,300 people in the tourism sector. Overall, these employees earn $4.1 billion annually, contributing to state revenue through income taxes. You can get a more detailed education on what tourism means to you when you Google "Colorado Tourism Facts."

I loved living in Colorado, I hate the attitude that permeates so many posts on this site. My town, Louisville, Kentucky is over run with conventions weekly because of our proximity to a huge percentage of the population of the U.S. During the Kentucky Derby, we can't even move. However if you want to come visit us Derby week we'll make room for you. We have hosted the Ryder Cup, the PGA Championship, NCAA basketball and so many other huge events it will make your head spin. Here is how we deal with it, we smile and enjoy the jobs it brings to our community. We are proud to share what he have here. We are happy to welcome people to our community and we show them respect...even when they are dressed as if they were hiking in the mountains and not on a downtown street.

If you don't want us there, tell Bill to dump this site, stop advertising to us and prepare for a constant state of unemployment. The bright side is, you'd have more time for hiking to barren peaks.

Wow , thanks for hijacking a thread & putting all us nasty 'locals' in our place with your Rant. Since you're a better economist than myself , I've updated my resume for my pending move to Utah. Thanks for your insight! =D>
If you're not moshing, it's NOT music.

Postby SolarAlex » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:07 am

i kind of enjoy the crowded summits. i think its cool seeing the huge mix of people that are attracted to the high peaks. it can get a little old sometimes picking up peoples trash (i picked up at least half a dozen gatorade bottles on bierstadt the other day and tons of wrappers), but its still cool that so many people get out and enjoy themselves.

that said, being alone on a summit is one of my favorite things in the world. the complete and total silence is energizing for me.

Postby JimR » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:29 am

Back in the day, there weren't crowds on 14er summits (usually). Then along came 14ers.com. Personally, I think the crowds are all Bill's fault. :-D
I have more age than experience, more experience than knowledge, and more knowledge than wisdom.
Yet somehow I usually make it back to the car safely; and oftentimes, so do the people that I'm with.

Postby GregMiller » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:34 am

(Insert obligatory DYBM comment here)
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Looks like between 'em they done Tried to make me
Stop laughin', stop lovin', stop livin'-- But I don't care! I'm still here!
Langston Hughes

Postby hotrod » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:55 am

I am an out-of-state "tourist". I have climbed 24 of the 14ers. My first mountain (Yale), I was totally alone on the climb and the summit. My second (Elbert), there was a large group at the top flying kites. Quite a contrast, and it has been like that as I added peaks---from one extreme to the other. However, the mountains are beautiful, and I accept any situation and just consider myself lucky to be able to stand on top.
Growing older is inevitable, but getting old is not.

Postby Fisching » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:58 am

Peter Aitchison on the risks of rock climbing and mountaineering: "That's life, isn't it? We think the challenge and satisfaction you get from doing this is worth the risks."

"Respect the mountain. Train hard. Hope you can sneak up when it isn't looking."

"The mind is always worried about consequences, but the heart knows no fear. The heart just does what it wants."

Postby Timmmber » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:05 am

Throw a dusting of snow in the mix and watch the crowds dwindle away.

Postby madbuck » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:07 am

Hopefully back on topic a bit (wait, what was the topic?) -- I enjoy pictures of crowded summits (some conga lines in this thread; Half Dome pics; Everest pics from earlier this year) precisely because of their extremity and points they raise on our view of wilderness. (Granted, not all 14er summits and trails are in Wilderness Areas). I am interested to hear what the OP wants to do with these pics!

The topic has been discussed and debated for decades. The original text of the Wilderness Act essentially includes the transience of man in the very definition of wilderness:
“A wilderness, in contrast with those areas where man and his own works dominate the landscape, is hereby recognized as an area where the earth and community of life are untrammeled by man, where man himself is a visitor who does not remain.”
Psychologically, it is no surprise, then, that the presence or reminder of "other" human beings can take away from the experience a bit, but is obviously inevitable.

Much of continued debate and discussion about use is rooted in different value systems. This was summarized succinctly by William Grey in "The Value of Wilderness."

It's interesting to note the different views. In general, the view that terrifies me the most is the strict economic one, presented earlier in this thread and in perennial political discussions. Sequoia NP certainly could have "made more money" had it sold land to Disney. I think many or most members on this site that do reside in Colorado still support limited or no fees for anyone, regardless of license plate, despite potential economic benefit. Most of us would encourage a free hike up plenty of other mountains than paying to go up Pikes or Evans, for example. I cannot think of anything more "tourist-friendly" than that.
Last edited by madbuck on Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

PreviousNext