Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Movie editing software?

Camera equipment and technique for taking photos.
Forum rules
Please do not use this forum to try and sell your photos or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.

Movie editing software?

Postby Furthermore » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:28 pm

Anyone have experience with AVS video editor? Or recommendations for free video editing software? Microsoft Movie Maker blows and I am having issues with fonts and cropping. Movie Maker seems very limited on its capabilities.

Re: Movie editing software?

Postby Bean » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:52 pm

Anything free is going to feel limited if you try to do more than bump clips, add music, and add some text. Adobe Premiere Elements 11 just came out and I've been playing with the free trial. I had been using Premiere Pro CS5.5, which was just too much for my needs and, frankly, a bit overwhelming. Impressions are pretty positive so far and I'll probably end up spending the money. The "Expert" mode offers quite a bit to a beginner hobbyist without being overwhelming. It's a $90 download from Amazon.

Sony Movie Studio and Pinnacle Studio 16 are also in the same price range and look pretty good.
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

Postby RosieTheSummiter » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:57 pm

I found this just last weekend. The downloaded version was free, and it worked great:

http://www.nchsoftware.com/videopad/tutorial.html

...But if you are editing a video because you are entering the 14er Danceoff Challenge and think you might end up with a better video than mine, then it's definitely not great....definitely, definitely not great, don't bother, worst, lousiest stuff ever and you should look the other away.... :-"
"Don't get mad, get altitude."

Postby MonGoose » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:21 pm

Adobe Photoshop 6 has video capability but I'd say it's equivalent to Movie Maker or iMovie.

Postby speth » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:46 pm

I'll be damned if I feel like I will ever know anything, but if we don't keep moving on that last hill, we'll never know what's on the other side.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The rain and thunder, the wind and haze are bound for better days. My life, my dream. Nothin's gonna stop me now.
[-X What are you insinuating? Do you think I'm Ranger? =; Because if you do than you are dead wrong.
Sarcasm or not, it's not even funny to post something like this. Not at this time. Reported.
rage-quit mountaineer wrote:I give up. Bill, just delete my account.

Postby KSU Wildcat » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:39 pm

Yes, I've used the entire AVS 4 YOU suite, including AVS Video Editor for a little over 2 years. Love every part of the suite. My daughter and I have both used AVS Video Editor in the last 6 months to put together 10-minute (me) and 30-minute (daughter) movies with imported video, photographs, graphic and text overlays, and music. And that's with no prior use for me. Very intuitive and not difficult to use. Definitely more capability than M$ Moviemaker.
Climb on!

Postby prestone818 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:09 pm

Ill give you adobe premier pro 2.0 for $40. Box and all

Postby rking007 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:17 pm

What sort of issues are you having with fonts and cropping? Also, if I may, what is your final goal for your video? Youtube, DVD, making a film for a festival...? I mention it because depending on your goals you may end up with more work than when you started with. Free is free for a reason as with most things and if you are looking for higher end output most free software won't cut it. It can compress video poorly with a bad codec, load a bunch unwanted garbage on your computer, or sometimes even freak your computer out. Furthermore (no pun intended) you wouldn't want to get far into a project only to find out it can't output to specific requirements or doesn't have a certain codec and then have to start over.

Like Bean said, Sony and Pinnacle or great mid level programs and can handle just about anything you could want to do. Adobe is probably a bump above since it's most likely a simplified version of their CS version (which is broadcast level software).

I shoot and edit HD so if it's something relatively easy to fix, I'd be willing to just fix it for you. I know how much time can be literally wasted trying new free software, rendering, compressing, swearing at the inanimate object that is your computer. Who knows, maybe it's something that only takes me twenty minutes. Drop me a PM if you want.
- Stand at the crossroads and look; ask for the ancient paths, ask where the good way is, and walk in it, and you will find rest for your souls.

Postby rking007 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:26 pm

prestone818 wrote:Ill give you adobe premier pro 2.0 for $40. Box and all

Great software! However, since Premiere Pro 2 was released about 6 years ago it won't even know what to do with AVCHD which is what almost all current cameras (including GoPro I believe) will use. So the video from your point and shoot all the way up to a lot of prosumer cameras. The crappy part about this is that you would have to convert your AVCHD footage to HDV or AVI or something that software will see. Also, correct me if I'm wrong but I don't believe it will just drop in .mp3 either. Seems like Pro 1.5 or Pro 2 still wanted .WAV files for audio? It's been a while. However, if it works for your current camera setup and needs, $40 isn't bad for something I know I paid $600 for 6 years ago! :shock: :lol:

By the way, not trying AT ALL to kick dirt in your face Prestone, hope it didn't come across that way.
- Stand at the crossroads and look; ask for the ancient paths, ask where the good way is, and walk in it, and you will find rest for your souls.

Postby Furthermore » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:57 pm

I haven't thought about what to actually do with my videos except just share them with friends and family. Since I have a lot of down time, I want to make sure I do a good job creating good videos.

As for the cropping, I have video footage with my friends leg in the right corner of the video so I wanted to crop his leg out. With the font, I can't change the font unless I create another font box. The particular font I am using doesn't have numbers (i know odd), but I can't change the fonts within the same line of text to get the numbers to work. That would be an easy fix if I used a different font but I would think you could highlight a section of text and just change the font. Which is easy to do if working in MS word.

Postby rking007 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:20 pm

Furthermore wrote:I haven't thought about what to actually do with my videos except just share them with friends and family. Since I have a lot of down time, I want to make sure I do a good job creating good videos.

As for the cropping, I have video footage with my friends leg in the right corner of the video so I wanted to crop his leg out. With the font, I can't change the font unless I create another font box. The particular font I am using doesn't have numbers (i know odd), but I can't change the fonts within the same line of text to get the numbers to work. That would be an easy fix if I used a different font but I would think you could highlight a section of text and just change the font. Which is easy to do if working in MS word.

I hear your frustration with the font thing. Can you just make a new text box within your title and make that the number? So, text box one would be the number in the new font and text box two would be the original font and text. Then you just place them accordingly so it looks right? I'm not sure how Microsoft movie handles titles. It may be that you would need to create a new title with just the number in the font you want and then align it just right to be where you want it. Assuming, of course, you can use your arrow keys to move the text box around?

For cropping, I got this off Yahoo answers, 'go to edit movie then view video effects and select zoom in (lower left lower right upper left or upper right)' but it looks like there is a zoom function so if there is, only zoom in just enough to be able to get the leg out. If it's possible, zoom in ten percent or so and then move the clip to the left and see how much leg that gets out. The thing with zoom cropping is that you are basically blowing up your footage so the digital noise will start getting louder and louder (like digital zoom on a point and shoot).

My other search for cropping tells me that Movie Maker can't crop at all (ie, black bars from top, bottom, left, or right that you can set the thickness.) which is really lame. Does the zoom crop option work?

Postby herdbull » Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:19 am

What do you guys do with longer or larger vids? I have roughly 3.5 hours of HD video I want to burn to a DVD but to make it fit the quality blows. I have a DVD Player/Recorder hooked to the tv. I can record, but have to "dummy down" the quality. Defeats the purpose of an HD camcorder in my opinion.

The file is around 17G and most DVD's are 4.7G. I too am also not liking Movie Maker for the bigger stuff. It (or maybe the pc) can't handle the size. It's great for editing smaller vids or creating shorter ones to upload. But now here I sit with 3.5 hours of my recent trip and I can't share it with anybody.

I thought about memory sticks for each one but that's kind of pricey and most peoples tvs don't have USB's.

Back to Movie Maker...... I actually chose it over some fo the other free programs. It has served me well with smaller sized files and is easy to use.

Next