Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

iPhone photography apps

Camera equipment and technique for taking photos.
Forum rules
Please do not use this forum to try and sell your photos or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.

Re: iPhone photography apps

Postby USAKeller » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:56 am

PaliKona wrote:Did you try fisheye pro (99 cent app)?
The sample images look decent...agree the others don't
look good. Your images are awesome.

Sorry Pali, I didn't see your post until now. I did try that App, but found it was giving me the same fish-eye effect that my tiny Canon point-and-shoot was - much more of a distorted, bulging face or whatever the lens focused on (circular fisheye lens). The fish-eye effect I was going for is what you see in my TR's - more of a wide panoramic image and the subject looks far less distorted with a nice hemispherical backdrop (full-frame fisheye lens). I don't know too much about photography so the best way I can describe what I didn't want and did want is pictorially!

Point-and-shoot fisheye - I promise you my brother and the girl aren't that rotund!

DSLR-like camera with a 16mm wide-angle lens and fisheye adapter (full-frame fisheye I believe):

I know we're just discussing an iPhone App, but regardless, it took me a little while to research and find what I was looking for. Hope some of that helps!
How long after arriving at someone's house is it appropriate to ask for the WiFi password?

Postby GregMiller » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:10 am

(Totally off-topic I know) but yay for the Alaska Rail Road!
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Looks like between 'em they done Tried to make me
Stop laughin', stop lovin', stop livin'-- But I don't care! I'm still here!
Langston Hughes

Postby PaliKona » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:28 am

That fisheye of the train is exactly what I'm looking for - wide panorama, etc. Thanks for the input and keep the great shots coming.

USAKeller wrote:
PaliKona wrote:Did you try fisheye pro (99 cent app)?
The sample images look decent...agree the others don't
look good. Your images are awesome.

Sorry Pali, I didn't see your post until now. I did try that App, but found it was giving me the same fish-eye effect that my tiny Canon point-and-shoot was - much more of a distorted, bulging face or whatever the lens focused on (circular fisheye lens). The fish-eye effect I was going for is what you see in my TR's - more of a wide panoramic image and the subject looks far less distorted with a nice hemispherical backdrop (full-frame fisheye lens). I don't know too much about photography so the best way I can describe what I didn't want and did want is pictorially!

Point-and-shoot fisheye - I promise you my brother and the girl aren't that rotund!

DSLR-like camera with a 16mm wide-angle lens and fisheye adapter (full-frame fisheye I believe):

I know we're just discussing an iPhone App, but regardless, it took me a little while to research and find what I was looking for. Hope some of that helps!

Postby Alpineair » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:19 am

PaliKona wrote:Is it better than the pano that comes with the standard iPhone cam?

I haven't tried Photosynth, but did try 360 Pano, which I didn't like.I think it would be pretty hard to beat the in phone program for pano's. Have been really impressed with the iphone camera, might even try leaving the 10.5 fisheye home on my next outing.
Here's a shot from Mt.Massive with the phone;
IMG_0315.jpg
IMG_0315.jpg (95.43 KiB) Viewed 774 times
I'm not anti-social, I'm anti-stupid!

Previous