Fall 2013

Camera equipment and technique for taking photos.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Kane
Trip Reports (0)

Fall 2013

Post by Kane »

Here's my yearly Fall collection of images to the passionate hiking and climbing community of 14er.com. At 43, I'm no longer going to make a summit. I'm done. From Iroquois Peak/The Catamount/Peak L/West Beckwith/Nakai/Pico Asilado/ to little know peak in the IPW called, Cherokee Peak/UN12,130...... to Mount Elbert... Ive seen the terrain. Over the years, I made over 400 summits in Colorado and now, due to the pain of getting old Ive found my niche in Colorado Mountain Scenery Photography. A bit before 14ers.com I made my way into Summitpost.com. http://www.summitpost.org/users/kane/499?confirm_post= Still love that site, but in the end the community resides here.

Years of hiking has led me down this path. I don't need a summit, the beauty is everywhere. As much as I want to revisit magical places from my strongest days with magical light, it just hurts too much. For those of you that are young and strong, climb everything now, you will never regret the memories. These memories will shape your life, and you will be known for what you do.

http://www.kaephotography.com/gallery/fall2013/
jaymz
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Fall 2013

Post by jaymz »

Congratulations on a great climbing career and on surviving it! =D> And kudos to you for knowing your limits and "retiring." I know that can't be an easy decision. Thanks for your perspective, especially for us younger guys who just assume we'll be doing this well into our 80s.
And beautiful pictures, at least from what I can tell on my phone :-D
climbing_rob
14ers: 58 
13ers: 121
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbing_rob »

Good!!! Now I can catch up to you on total number of Catamount ascents... when I was there a couple weeks ago, you were one ahead of me.

But really, your photography has been a true inspiration for me personally, so much so that I study your images. Hope to see you in the hills, if not on any more summits!!!
sunny1
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 225 8
Trip Reports (3)

Post by sunny1 »

Kane wrote:Here's my yearly Fall collection of images to the passionate hiking and climbing community of 14er.com. At 43, I'm no longer going to make a summit. I'm done. From Iroquois Peak/The Catamount/Peak L/West Beckwith/Nakai/Pico Asilado/ to little know peak in the IPW called, Cherokee Peak/UN12,130...... to Mount Elbert... Ive seen the terrain. Over the years, I made over 400 summits in Colorado and now, due to the pain of getting old Ive found my niche in Colorado Mountain Scenery Photography. A bit before 14ers.com I made my way into Summitpost.com. http://www.summitpost.org/users/kane/499?confirm_post= Still love that site, but in the end the community resides here.

Years of hiking has led me down this path. I don't need a summit, the beauty is everywhere. As much as I want to revisit magical places from my strongest days with magical light, it just hurts too much. For those of you that are young and strong, climb everything now, you will never regret the memories. These memories will shape your life, and you will be known for what you do.

http://www.kaephotography.com/gallery/fall2013/
I haven't had a chance to view these links, but I will. Your pics consistently ROCK! :bow: Thank you for sharing them! =D>

While it's up to you how you'd like to enjoy the mountains and scenery of CO, there are plenty of us out here with more "mileage on the odometer" climbing mountains.
I don't see 43 as OLD.
I hope you've had or considered a medical consult if you're in that much pain at the YOUNG age of 43.
My humble 0.02.
The older you get, the better you get, unless you're a banana.
painless4u2
Trip Reports (8)

Post by painless4u2 »

Great photos! But I've got to agree with Sunny1, 43 isn't too old to keep climbing! I'm 59 and still love it, beginning my repeats now. In fact, on my 58th summit (on Culebra) this year I met a lady who was 72, still working through her completion. Unless the "thrill is gone", or due to a physical impairment, keep on keeping on!
Bad decisions often make good stories.

IPAs + Ambien = "14ers" post (Bill M.)

In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps. Proverbs 16:9
bonehead
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bonehead »

Never give in.
Never give in.
Never, never, never, never—
in nothing, great or small, large or petty—never give in.......

At 45 I thought I would never climb a mountain again.
At 60 I enjoy more summits than ever.
The future is an open book
that has not been written yet.
A long road awaits us all.
Never give in.
TravelingMatt
14ers: 56 
13ers: 435
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TravelingMatt »

Crap, I'm 43 in three weeks. I didn't realize I was done.
You never know what is enough until you know what is more than enough. -- William Blake
highpilgrim
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

TravelingMatt wrote:Crap, I'm 43 in three weeks. I didn't realize I was done.
f**k! I'm probably dead already. In the time since I was 43 I've summited over a hundred peaks. Zombie mountaineering.

The victims are clearly the last to realize their fate.
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
Kane
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Kane »

Thanks for the motivating comments. True, 43 is not old. I never said 43 is the place to give up. I speak to pain that keeps me in check. I have way too many climbing friends that continue to amaze me at ages way beyond 43.

My "pain" comments were to somewhat disguise my recent diagnoses of "Chronic Iliopsoas Contraction Syndrome." BTW, almost 100% confirmed from my hiking and climbing days. I'll say this, read up on this hidden prankster of pain. I'll guarantee a few from this community will have to deal with these symptoms at some point.

Overall I'm very happy with my transition. Believe me, I'm glad those days are over. I feel like I did it right, I climbed in beautiful country vs climbing a list. Thus I have so many places to go back to and shoot beautiful scenes.

Thanks again and Happy Climbing!
yorksman
14ers: 13 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (0)

Post by yorksman »

Kane,

Great fall stuff as always, sorry to hear you summit days are done. We still need to get out one of these days.

Jody