Auto or manual - digital camera

Camera equipment and technique for taking photos.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
pw
14ers: 45 
13ers: 70
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Auto or manual - digital camera

Post by pw »

PaliKona wrote:Very interesting reading.

So do most of you use Aperture Priority most of the time when out in the wild (hiking, skiing)? It seems unless I want to focus on a subject in the foreground and blur the background (which is rare for me), I should be shooting with large depth of field (highest aperture on my camera is F8). But b/c of this, the shutter speed is slower than say F2.8? Therefore, use a tripod? Am I sort of getting this?
Thanks
That's about right. I think very generally speaking, use a wider aperture for things like flower shots and portraits in order to have only a small area of focus that highlights the subject, smaller aperture for landscapes in order to maximize the area of the picture that is in focus. Use a slower shutter speed (small aperture) to do things like blurring water or maybe flowers blowing around in the wind. This probably gets into the area of neutral density filters, which may not be available for your camera.

Here is an example of very narrow depth of field in a flower photo with both foreground and background blurred (and also, that website has some great stuff)

http://whytake.net/Inspired/2/13024" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pwahl/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;