Nikon 1: Anyone used this line? Impressions?

Camera equipment and technique for taking photos.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
yedi
Trip Reports (0)

Nikon 1: Anyone used this line? Impressions?

Post by yedi »

I'm interested in getting a camera to replace a not-great Sony P&S and a seen-better-days Nikon D50 to take on trips into the mountains. I've realized that I don't need all the bells and whistles (and weight) that the DSLR gives me, but I'd like something more than just P&S images. Has anyone tried any of the cameras from Nikon's 1 line? I'm especially interested in hearing about the AW1, since it's ruggedized. Seems like it might be a good fit for my needs. Also, if you've tried something like the 1 series that you think works well, I'd be interested in hearing about that as well.
kimo
14ers: 32  6 
13ers: 116 6
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Nikon 1: Anyone used this line? Impressions?

Post by kimo »

Did you find a camera?

I had a Nikon V1 for a year. I didn’t enjoy using it so I sold it. In some ways I regret selling it. The image quality was really good, considering the camera was the first generation of a new sensor format for Nikon. But like most small sensors, the IQ suffers at higher ISO.

My problem with it was in usability. I hated the push button lock release on the kit zoom lenses. I thought the lens selection was weak. I like cameras with buttons and dials so I can adjust it on the fly, but the V1 didn’t have many of these.

The follow ups, the 1 V2 and 1 V3, seem to be very different cameras. I’m not familiar with the 1 J series.

Check out photographylife for a review and some great sample pics from the V1.

Here’s a few I pics I took with the V1. These are RAW files converted to JPEG using Nikon’s converter. No edits added. Probably identical to the straight-out-of-camera JPEG image files.

After I sold my V1 and some DSLR gear, I moved to the Olympus/Panasonic Micro Four-thirds mirrorless format. No regrets. If you are looking at the Nikon AW1 for the ruggedness, you could consider the weather-sealed Olympus E-M5 with weather-sealed Olympus 12-50mm kit lens, however, it probably offers more of a DSLR-like experience than you desire. That Sony 16mp sensor in the E-M5 produces beautiful images that capture a lot of shadow detail and respond well to shadow brightening. Also, although not ruggedized, an advanced point and shoot like the Panasonic LX7 can produce beautiful images.
MuchosPixels
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Nikon 1: Anyone used this line? Impressions?

Post by MuchosPixels »

yedi wrote:I'm interested in getting a camera to replace a not-great Sony P&S and a seen-better-days Nikon D50 to take on trips into the mountains. I've realized that I don't need all the bells and whistles (and weight) that the DSLR gives me, but I'd like something more than just P&S images. Has anyone tried any of the cameras from Nikon's 1 line? I'm especially interested in hearing about the AW1, since it's ruggedized. Seems like it might be a good fit for my needs. Also, if you've tried something like the 1 series that you think works well, I'd be interested in hearing about that as well.
I have a Nikon V1 and unless you use the fast primes (like the 32mm f1.2) there is really no reason to choose it over the excellent Sony RX100II. The 10mp images of the Nikon are good but just not as good. If you don't mind the cost I tried out the Sony RX10 and WOW. Awesome camera. The cool thing about the Nikon V1 is its low cost and the fact that it has an integrated viewfinder but there are better choices.

If you must have / want interchangeable lenses I would look at the Olympus OM-D line. The E-M5 and the new E-M10 are excellent. The E-M1 is superb but larger and heavier.