Mount Evans- Mountain Goats

Camera equipment and technique for taking photos.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Traveler2014
Trip Reports (0)

Mount Evans- Mountain Goats

Post by Traveler2014 »

HI,

I am going to be visiting Mt Evans early next week to photograph with the hopes of photographing mountain goats as well as the landsscape. I know they close the last five miles to the summit, so I am planning on going to Summit Lake, and hiking a bit up the road. I am hoping to come across some goats- but I am not sure how far or close to the summit they stay. I doubt I will be able to make it to the top- living at sea-level and with only a few days to acclimate myself, I am thinking the hike will tire me out sooner rather than later. Just wanted to get an idea of what to expect. Thanks for any replies.
Cruiser
14ers: 50 
Trip Reports (6)

Re: Mount Evans- Mountain Goats

Post by Cruiser »

There are often goats in that neck of the woods but it's impossible to say exactly where they might be at any given time. If you happen to miss them when you're up there then it might be worth driving a little farther down I70 to see if they are hanging out around Georgetown on the slopes near the lake. I have seen quite a few of them along the Guanella Pass road as well. Other folks on the board here probably can give you some more tips about likely places to find them so that you have a bunch of good spots to check out. That ought to increase your chances a bit.
Where ever you are... There you are.
highpilgrim
14ers: 58 
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

If you're set on Evans, I can't speak to the pattern of the goats up there.

But if you're open to other goat options, there is a persistent herd of them near the Blue Lake Trailhead near Quandary. They hang out there and in the steep slope from there to the summit. I've seen them every time I'm up there without fail.

The hike up to the hanging basin on the way to the west ridge of Quandary gets you a nice reasonable walkabout and you likely will see the goats in a beautiful setting without too much distance covered. If you don't, just pee near the parking lot and they'll be there shortly. :-D

Good luck.
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
Traveler2014
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Traveler2014 »

Thanks for the responses! I am not hard set on Mt Evans, I just thought that was the easiest place to see them. I'll be staying in Breckenridge, so Blue Lakes sounds like an easier option to check out first. Quick question- the hike to the hanging basin- are you referring to the trail that goes to Quandary Peak from the Blue Lakes Trailhead? Looks like there are multiple trails from the trailhead- and want to make sure I head off in the correct direction. Thanks for the tips!

highpilgrim wrote:If you're set on Evans, I can't speak to the pattern of the goats up there.

But if you're open to other goat options, there is a persistent herd of them near the Blue Lake Trailhead near Quandary. They hang out there and in the steep slope from there to the summit. I've seen them every time I'm up there without fail.

The hike up to the hanging basin on the way to the west ridge of Quandary gets you a nice reasonable walkabout and you likely will see the goats in a beautiful setting without too much distance covered. If you don't, just pee near the parking lot and they'll be there shortly. :-D

Good luck.
highpilgrim
14ers: 58 
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

Traveler2014 wrote:and want to make sure I head off in the correct direction.
Yes, it's the approach for the West Ridge of Quandary. You can also climb Fletcher Mountain from that route which is much easier than Quandary from that side. If you're feeling up to going up. :-D

Watch above the parking area in the steep cliffy slabs. They hang there a lot. It's a nice hike into the basin. Gerry Roach calls it something poetic, like a "temporal paradise". Probably not quite that, but you get the idea.
goats 1.jpg
goats 1.jpg (261.61 KiB) Viewed 3297 times
goats 2.jpg
goats 2.jpg (334.55 KiB) Viewed 3297 times
Last edited by highpilgrim on Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
cpb145
14ers: 12 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cpb145 »

Traveler2014 wrote:HI,

I am going to be visiting Mt Evans early next week to photograph with the hopes of photographing mountain goats as well as the landsscape. I know they close the last five miles to the summit, so I am planning on going to Summit Lake, and hiking a bit up the road. I am hoping to come across some goats- but I am not sure how far or close to the summit they stay. I doubt I will be able to make it to the top- living at sea-level and with only a few days to acclimate myself, I am thinking the hike will tire me out sooner rather than later. Just wanted to get an idea of what to expect. Thanks for any replies.
When I was up there yesterday, the ranger at the booth told me that they would most likely be closing the road entirely for the winter this weekend, maybe Monday at the latest. The top 5 miles has been closed for about a week and a half now, but sounds like if you wait till next week you may not even get to Summit Lake. Evans has a website if I recall with updated road conditions I would check first before making the trip. Otherwise, seems the goats on Evans like to hang by the bathrooms for whatever reason...so if you're lucky, there will be some at the bathrooms at Summit Lake (there were a bunch there yesterday after I descended), or the bathrooms at the top parking lot which would require you making the climb. Good luck!
-Chris
Alpineair
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Alpineair »

At Evans you may see them at Summit Lake, or hike up the road a bit and look west. They like hanging out next to the outhouses.
Adverse conditions may exist-CDOT
Tortoise1
14ers: 15 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Tortoise1 »

Traveler2014 wrote:Thanks for the responses! I am not hard set on Mt Evans, I just thought that was the easiest place to see them. I'll be staying in Breckenridge, so Blue Lakes sounds like an easier option to check out first. Quick question- the hike to the hanging basin- are you referring to the trail that goes to Quandary Peak from the Blue Lakes Trailhead? Looks like there are multiple trails from the trailhead- and want to make sure I head off in the correct direction. Thanks for the tips!
There's a good chance they will be waiting for you when you get out of your car, or if not that you'll be able to see them from the parking lot. They're pretty much domesticated, even more so than the Quandary goats.
Usher73
14ers: 1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Usher73 »

Quandary goats from a few years back. They came up the west ridge, wandered around the summit for a while, then went down the east ridge.