Photography Gathering 2/8

Camera equipment and technique for taking photos.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
vonmackle
14ers: 30 
13ers: 93 1
Trip Reports (13)

Photography Gathering 2/8

Post by vonmackle »

What: Photography Gathering
When: Sunday February 8th 6am to ?
Who: Anybody at any skill level who likes taking pictures
Where:Rocky Mountain National Park's Lumpy Ridge (Gem Lake) Trailhead

There was quite a bit of interest for a photography get together a couple of years ago that never saw the light of day, and I've been meaning to reorganize a similar gathering for quite sometime. It would be great to meet a bunch of the frequent 14ers.com photo contributors as well as anyone else who enjoys photographing the mountains.

Any takers?
Last edited by vonmackle on Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable." -Ludwig van Beethoven
bergsteigen
14ers: 58  52  18 
13ers: 538 100 12
Trip Reports (237)

Re: Photography Gathering 2/8

Post by bergsteigen »

I could definitely be interested depending on weather and such.
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." - Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)
Your knees only get so many bumps in life, don't waste them on moguls!
“No athlete is truly tested until they’ve stared an injury in the face and come out on the other side stronger than ever” -anonymous

http://otinasadventures.com @otina
Brandonasmith10
14ers: 2  1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Brandonasmith10 »

I'd be interested weather permitting
Daniel Joder
14ers: 43  3 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (37)

Post by Daniel Joder »

I may be interested. Some bad weather (but not too much!) is great for photography, of course. I'll confirm a few days prior. Fun idea, thanks!
vusteph
14ers: 22  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (6)

Post by vusteph »

Would love to, but shooting a baby shower that day :(
ulvetano
14ers: 58  10  7 
13ers: 48 2 1
Trip Reports (20)

Post by ulvetano »

That would be really cool! I'd try to go and bring the wife along with her new fancy camera!
vonmackle
Trip Reports (13)

Post by vonmackle »

I'm really looking forward to this gathering! Should be a great time.

I did a bit of location scouting in Rocky yesterday, and I found a pretty good spot off the Gem Lake Trail on Lumpy Ridge:

This area should work well. It's a short hike, has good views towards Longs in the distance and the Twin Owls nearby, the winds don't get quite as nasty as the rest of the park, we won't need snowshoes (unless it really dumps between now and then), and the parking is easy and free. Sunrise on the 8th is a little after 7:00, so I was thinking we could meet at the trailhead at 6:00. Sound good?

I'm also considering a backup location near Eldorado Canyon in case the weather gets too bad up in the mountains.
"To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable." -Ludwig van Beethoven
vonmackle
Trip Reports (13)

Post by vonmackle »

We'll be meeting at 6am this Sunday at the Lumpy Ridge (Gem Lake) Trailhead in Rocky Mountain National Park. Please let me know if you plan on attending so I can get an idea of how many people are going to show up.

The gathering can go on as long as people want, and I wouldn't complain too much if anybody wanted to hit Oskar Blues afterwards.

Look forward to seeing you Sunday!
Eschuette
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Eschuette »

I am planning to attend, sounds like a great time!
Eric

"In short, there is a kind of supernatural beauty in these mountainous prospects which charms both the senses and the minds into a forgetfulness of oneself and of everything in the world" - Rousseau

Instagram Id: ericschuettephotography
https://www.facebook.com/EricSchuettephotography" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
waitingforanairplane
14ers: 31 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by waitingforanairplane »

this sounds like a great get together.

eschuette - i think i follow your photography page on instagram - it's amazing. love your pics!
vonmackle
Trip Reports (13)

Post by vonmackle »

Here are some quick directions to the first planned shooting spot in case anybody shows up a little late:

Take the Lumpy Ridge/Gem Lake Trail from the parking area (this trail starts on the RIGHT side of the bathrooms). After about a half mile the trail will split. Take a RIGHT towards Gem Lake. After about 200-300 feet, find easy access to a rock formation on the right side of the trail.

The low-quality map below shows the last section of the hike up to the shooting spot. The split in the trail is on the upper left of the image (the yellow trail goes to the Twin Owls).
Lumpy Map-2.jpg
Lumpy Map-2.jpg (289.11 KiB) Viewed 2337 times
I'm not sure how long we'll stay at this location, so try not to show up too late. See you Sunday!
Daniel Joder
14ers: 43  3 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (37)

Post by Daniel Joder »

See you there!