Photo Hosting / storage options.

Camera equipment and technique for taking photos.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
djkest
14ers: 58 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (44)

Photo Hosting / storage options.

Post by djkest »

So I was using Picasa for a while and I like it. It's pretty cheap annually for what I get, the software for viewing my photos is pretty nice, and I can link to photos on a website, forum, or e-mail fairly easily. I think I get 30 GB of storage for $9.99 / yr. It also integrates well with blogspot and I was (for a while) able to steam my pics from Picasa to my phone to view my albums there through an app. Then they took that away, and Picasatool became the way to go on your phone.

Google+ Photos is none of these things. First of all, they want to "Auto-Enhance" all my photos. I don't want them changing my photos. They also at the same time seem to reduce quality, I can look at the same photo on Google+ and it looks worse than it does when I open it on my computer. Google is trying to convert all Picasa Web users to Google+ Photos users, when it's obviously more social focused but is less powerful and the quality is less. And they really don't want you linking directly to a photo on a forum (aka Hosting). So what's left?

What service would you recommend that backs up and hosts your images? At this point perhaps I should think about having my own server or website, but that seems like a lot of hassle and more stuff to figure out.
Last edited by djkest on Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog
Jon Frohlich
13ers: 162 3
Trip Reports (29)

Re: Photo Hosting / storage options.

Post by Jon Frohlich »

I don't have a lot of love for Flickr but it's the best choice I've found at the moment. They don't degrade the quality and you get 1 TB of storage for free. The interface for uploading and organizing irritates me but I can live with it. I used to really like Picasa until they forced Google+ on me and I never went back.
mattpayne11
13ers: 111
Trip Reports (48)

Post by mattpayne11 »

I think Flickr is a solid option, as Jon mentioned. The pro account allows some really nice organization options.
climbing_rob
13ers: 121
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbing_rob »

Just tried Flickr... yeah, aggravating interface, but I can figure it out, I sure like the 1TB limit.

Anyway, I cannot figure one thing out... can one set up the account or particular folders such that others can add photos directly? I cannot find out on Flickr... perhaps it's their somewhere, but I failed to find it.

thanks in advance for any information