Spring Photo Gathering 6/13-14

Camera equipment and technique for taking photos.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
MrFrumpylane
14ers: 39 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Spring Photo Gathering 6/13-14

Post by MrFrumpylane »

vonmackle wrote:The spring photo gathering is less than three weeks away. There is still plenty of space left, so let me know if you are interested in joining. I'll send more detailed information in a couple weeks to those who have expressed interest. Let me know if you have any questions.

Here's an example of the light painting technique I hope to work on during this trip. I shot this at Eleven Mile State Park last weekend.

ImageMilky Way Over Eleven Mile Reservoir
Amazing photo. Do you just use a simple headlamp (dim or bright setting?) to light the foreground like that?
JGiffinPhotog
14ers: 51  1 
13ers: 21
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JGiffinPhotog »

Wish I could join, but already have plans for Humboldt. I hope to join one of these trips someday! Here's some light painting I did in the similar style, just with the full moon as opposed to the Milky Way.
Attachments
Moon & Boats LR.jpg
Moon & Boats LR.jpg (219.33 KiB) Viewed 3504 times
http://www.jgiffinphotos.com

"...Let's go exploring!" - Bill Watterson
vonmackle
14ers: 30 
13ers: 93 1
Trip Reports (13)

Post by vonmackle »

MrFrumpylane wrote: Amazing photo. Do you just use a simple headlamp (dim or bright setting?) to light the foreground like that?
Thanks! Yes, I just used my Black Diamond headlamp to light this. I used the spotlight setting on full power. The light from the headlamp was much too blue compared to the sky, so I used a brush in Lightroom to warm it up. I also brought down the exposure for the light painted area because it was a bit on the bright side.
"To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable." -Ludwig van Beethoven
jrs1965
14ers: 58  1  3 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jrs1965 »

Night Incline.jpg
Night Incline.jpg (88.27 KiB) Viewed 3426 times
Thanks! Yes, I just used my Black Diamond headlamp to light this. I used the spotlight setting on full power. The light from the headlamp was much too blue compared to the sky, so I used a brush in Lightroom to warm it up. I also brought down the exposure for the light painted area because it was a bit on the bright side.
I used a headlamp in the same manner for this picture. Worked well, I did not really do any post editing on this shot. Would love to go this weekend but I have previous plans...
kimo
14ers: 32  6 
13ers: 116 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by kimo »

Nasty storm moved in Saturday afternoon and parked until after dark. Peeked outside the tent around 10:30pm - the sky had cleared but the wind was bad. Went back to sleep. So no night photos for me. Not sure what kind of luck the other guys had since our tents were spread around and out of sight. Didn't have a chance to scope out sunrise spots in advance so I got up at 5am, wandered around Bison Peak's summit plateau a bit, broke camp, and headed to McCurdy Peak. It was good to meet you Brian. As always Cameron - a real adventure. Thanks for putting it together.

The blue hour.

Here comes the sun.

Daniel Joder
14ers: 43  3 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (37)

Post by Daniel Joder »

Awesome images, Kimo! I especially like the third one--wonderful light and composition, and the clouds add a nice textured touch to the sky. Your eye travels all the way through to the framed mountains on the distant horizon. Well done!
vonmackle
Trip Reports (13)

Post by vonmackle »

Nice shots, Kimo! I'm with Daniel on the third image. Love it! I spent quite a bit of time working that pile of rocks and didn't come up with anything satisfactory. Got any more photos you'd like to share?
"To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable." -Ludwig van Beethoven
vonmackle
Trip Reports (13)

Post by vonmackle »

kimo wrote:Nasty storm moved in Saturday afternoon and parked until after dark.
Storm? What storm? I must have missed it. :lol:

Brian, it was great meeting you. K&A, it's always a SufferFest™...I mean pleasure.

Some images from the trip:

ImageBison Peak Sunrise

ImageBison Rock No.1

ImageFantastique: Young Hector Goes Camping

ImageLost Creek Rock Formation No.2

ImageBison Rock No.2

Here's a link to an album with some more photos from the trip: Bison Peak Photo Gathering
hoff_hikes
14ers: 36 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by hoff_hikes »

Kimo and Cameron, nice meeting you both as well. Really enjoy the photos both of you posted. Thanks for the fun adventure.
Derek
Trip Reports (57)

Post by Derek »

Great photos fellas.

Wish I could've made it up. I have a disposable that still has a few shots on it. Woulda been killer.
kimo
14ers: 32  6 
13ers: 116 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by kimo »

You missed one for the books, Derek. The LCW brews up some nasty storms. Kinda adds to that primordial feel out there. I understand why you love the place. There's nothing like it. We'll catch you next time.

And Cameron, we want our cut from that trademark. We all earned it. I like the black and white boulder photo. The texture is cool. Wide angles are fun.

And Dan, thanks for your comments. It's easy to be inspired by a beautiful place like the Lost Creek Wilderness. I really enjoy your images - keep it up.

The third one is my favorite from the trip. Recently I bought a new camera body and lost the ability to autofocus with my current lenses. The change has slowed down my photography but in a good way. I take less photos and the ones I do I think more about.

Since you asked, Cameron, here's a few more snapshots from along the way to Bison Peak, McCurdy Mountain, and Pt 11762. It's such a super cool and picturesque place. Great place for a photo gathering.

This sweet hike pretty much follows the skyline from left to right.