Spring Photo Gathering 6/13-14

Camera equipment and technique for taking photos.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
vonmackle
14ers: 30 
13ers: 93 1
Trip Reports (13)

Spring Photo Gathering 6/13-14

Post by vonmackle »

Spring Photo Gathering
When: Saturday, June 13th & Sunday, June 14th
Where: Lost Creek Wilderness

Photographers of all abilities are welcome to attend. If this is anything like the last gathering, it will be a great time with an excellent group of people. This will be an overnight backpacking trip, so we will have a chance to shoot sunrise, sunset, and work on night sky photography. Be sure to bring a tripod! One thing in particular that I plan on working on is light painted foreground subjects against the Milky Way. Since this is in a wilderness area, I must limit the group size to 15. Right now there are four of us planning to attend (with some maybes). Please PM me if you plan on attending. I'll try to keep this up to date with available spots, and I might have to make a wait list if too many folks are interested. I'm really looking forward to this one!

Cameron
"To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable." -Ludwig van Beethoven
SurfNTurf
14ers: 58  28 
13ers: 127 7
Trip Reports (48)

Re: Spring Photo Gathering 6/13-14

Post by SurfNTurf »

I just got a new camera and have no idea what anything but the "Auto" setting does. This would probably be a good idea for me. Count me in! Thanks for setting it up.
“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

^Jeff, I, for one, appreciate the fact that you're going to use a real camera and not take lame mountain photos with an iPhone. Smart phones make crappy climbing cameras! There, I said it.
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
vonmackle
Trip Reports (13)

Post by vonmackle »

That reminds me, absolutely no selfie sticks permitted (as per wilderness regulations).
"To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable." -Ludwig van Beethoven
SurfNTurf
14ers: 58  28 
13ers: 127 7
Trip Reports (48)

Post by SurfNTurf »

BillMiddlebrook wrote:^Jeff, I, for one, appreciate the fact that you're going to use a real camera and not take lame mountain photos with an iPhone. Smart phones make crappy climbing cameras! There, I said it.
Words are more interesting anyway, right? ...right?
“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper
vonmackle
Trip Reports (13)

Post by vonmackle »

The spring photo gathering is less than three weeks away. There is still plenty of space left, so let me know if you are interested in joining. I'll send more detailed information in a couple weeks to those who have expressed interest. Let me know if you have any questions.

Here's an example of the light painting technique I hope to work on during this trip. I shot this at Eleven Mile State Park last weekend.

ImageMilky Way Over Eleven Mile Reservoir
aliciaf
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 16 1
Trip Reports (9)

Post by aliciaf »

This sounds fantastic, but I'm out of town that weekend. Maybe next time.
EatinHardtack
14ers: 42  20  3 
13ers: 79 32 2
Trip Reports (8)

Post by EatinHardtack »

I'd like to join in, just depends on what work has in store for me.
"In our youths our hearts were touched with fire" - Oliver Wendell Holmes
hoff_hikes
14ers: 36 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by hoff_hikes »

have no idea what anything but the "Auto" setting does.
That makes two of us. Would be nice to learn how to take amazing pictures with a solid camera.
vonmackle
Trip Reports (13)

Post by vonmackle »

There have been a few cancellations for this weekend's photo gathering, so there's still plenty of room if anybody is interested. Right now it looks like four of us are going, and there are a handful of maybe's.

Here's a trip report Brian Thomas wrote up for a hike we did in the LCW on Sunday if you'd like to check out the current conditions. I'm expecting patches of snow, but nothing horrible. Hope to see you there!
Kane
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Kane »

Sounds good! I'm in.
thatmushroom
14ers: 15  1 
13ers: 20 1 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by thatmushroom »

Dang. Would that I could join, but I already have plans. It's an incredible idea, and hopefully I'll be able to make future ones.