The Eagle Soars into the Stars!

Camera equipment and technique for taking photos.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Kane
Trip Reports (0)

The Eagle Soars into the Stars!

Post by Kane »

Its been a while since I posted but thought some of you might enjoy this image of the mighty Lone Eagle Peak, from a different, but powerful perspective.

My calculations had the core of the Milky Way shooting up over the summit around 12:15am. I Climbed up the west slopes of Blackfoot Mountain, set up a camp on some huge boulders and spent the night.

Know this is a "composite" by 3 hrs. Meaning, I shot foreground and mountain during the late Blue Hr of 9:20pm. Then I woke up at 12:00am and shot the Milky Way image as it rotated through the summit of Lone Eagle peak. Later in post processing I whipped out my Artistic License and put it all together, including the color and overall exposure.

BTW, be aware that virtually all images you see on the net similar to this image are going to be composites. The most dynamic camera sensor on the planet cannot make this happen in one shot. I have absolutely no issues admitting it and will always disclose if asked. I think society is gradually coming to a point where having an artistic vision can be just as beautiful as an image straight out of the camera.

I hope this can take you somewhere for just a moment or two, away from your busy life..

Kane
Attachments
Eagle Way next 14ers.jpg
Eagle Way next 14ers.jpg (305.53 KiB) Viewed 4561 times
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Re: The Eagle Soars into the Stars!

Post by rijaca »

=D>

More please!!!
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
kaiman
Trip Reports (10)

Post by kaiman »

Dang Kane you take some nice pictures! Great work!
"I want to keep the mountains clean of racism, religion and politics. In the mountains this should play no role."

- Joe Stettner

"I haven't climbed Everest, skied to the poles, or sailed single-handed around the world. The goals I set out to accomplish aren't easily measured or quantified by world records or "firsts." The reasons I climb, and the climbs I do, are about more than distance or altitude, they are about breaking barriers within myself."

- Andy Kirkpatrick
Jesse M
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Jesse M »

Awesome!
"If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything."
vandy
14ers: 27  2 
13ers: 16 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by vandy »

Fantastic shot! And despite being a composite and something that couldn't be seen with the eye, the image still has a natural look to it.
Wildernessjane
14ers: 58  13  46 
13ers: 256 23 19
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Wildernessjane »

Amazing!
“Climb mountains not so the world can see you, but so you can see the world.” -David McCullough?
dsunwall
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 399
Trip Reports (1)

Post by dsunwall »

excellent! I have no problem with a composite. In this case it's like being timeless, everything that was real at some point in time put into one moment.
its_not_a_tuba
14ers: 36  1  2 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (1)

Post by its_not_a_tuba »

I love every photo I see of Lone Eagle, and every photo I see of the Milky Way. The two together in this shot is just amazing. How can I buy a copy?
"Wilderness settles peace on the soul because it needs no help. It is beyond human contrivance." -- E.O. Wilson
Indigomountain
14ers: 2 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Indigomountain »

Wow! Thanks for sharing! Absolutely beautiful.
"Peace, Love and Fresh Mountain Air"
Kane
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Kane »

Theres different levels of composites. If you work hard enough (star knowledge, planning and executing) you can make these images within a 2-8 hr window. The good news here is that milky way did travel across that summit, during a new moon. Have a look at the July 17th, 12:15am calculations from the south slopes of Blackfoot...its there! Thanks for the nice comments. I wish I had more to share but I'm just getting started with this star stuff over great mountains. Speaking of..I have the date and time to shoot the milky way over Crestone, and Wetterhorn. I think I can get Crestone this season but I will have to wait until next early June to get the Wetterhorn shot I want. Many more to come.
gurlyclimber
14ers: 34 
13ers: 109
Trip Reports (0)

Post by gurlyclimber »

Wow Kane! Nice to see your pics again. I biased towards Lone Eagle as it is but this is incredible.
Matt
14ers: 58 
13ers: 208
Trip Reports (32)

Post by Matt »

gurlyclimber wrote:Wow Kane! Nice to see your pics again. I biased towards Lone Eagle as it is but this is incredible.
+1
Thanks for not plugging (or even mentioning) your site, either. I appreciate your approach, as well as all your contributions to the CO hiking community.
Your photo compares favorably with some shots of Yellowstone that I saw the other day.
We are all greater artists than we realize -FWN
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -HDT
Peak List