The Eagle Soars into the Stars!

Camera equipment and technique for taking photos.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
sunny1
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 225 8
Trip Reports (3)

Re: The Eagle Soars into the Stars!

Post by sunny1 »

Whooooaaaaa!
That's stunning!
Good to see you're back out there.
Thank you for sharing - it's a visual break that exceeds all expectations!! :-D =D>
The older you get, the better you get, unless you're a banana.
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtree »

Holy sH*&^, Batman! Very nice. And thanks for the education, too. Whodathunk?
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

Pretty cool. Your hard work has been well rewarded!
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
djkest
14ers: 58 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (44)

Post by djkest »

That's awesome. I really like the shot and despite being a composite, it doesn't look overprocessed to me.
Couple technical questions, if you don't mind. 1) what lens did you use? 2) Photoshop used to splice the two images together? - how hard is that?

As an aside, I came to a realization a couple months ago that most of the "really cool" pics I see are heavily, heavily edited. Which is fine, but it's kind of sad too in a way. I thought there was some sort of magic lens or technique they were using. But at the same time, it's like a hidden beauty is uncovered that can't be seen with the naked eye.

ETA: I just noticed there are two red pixels in your photo. I'm not sure if that was an accident or not on your part.
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog
mtgirl
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 104
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtgirl »

Gorgeous image ! PLEASE continue to share others. =D>
"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."
mountaingoat-G
14ers: 23  5  1 
13ers: 21 6 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by mountaingoat-G »

awesome photo...
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

Very, very cool
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
Kane
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Kane »

djkest wrote:That's awesome. I really like the shot and despite being a composite, it doesn't look overprocessed to me.
Couple technical questions, if you don't mind. 1) what lens did you use? 2) Photoshop used to splice the two images together? - how hard is that?

As an aside, I came to a realization a couple months ago that most of the "really cool" pics I see are heavily, heavily edited. Which is fine, but it's kind of sad too in a way. I thought there was some sort of magic lens or technique they were using. But at the same time, it's like a hidden beauty is uncovered that can't be seen with the naked eye.

ETA: I just noticed there are two red pixels in your photo. I'm not sure if that was an accident or not on your part.
Great questions and comments. Yea I noticed that red pixel too. Dead Pixels are very common, almost too common in low light shots. For some reason the image compression accentuated it when submitted. It's certainly there and I should go back and edit.

I like how you call it " hidden beauty." I like to call it Artistic License. These kinds of images are a good test for the photographers post processing skills to either shine or crash and burn. PP these star images are pretty second nature to me because I've focused on bettering my PP skills for almost a decade. It takes time to learn Exposure blending/Layer Masking.

I used a 24mm tilt shift for this image. I use the shift feature all the time to do vertical stitching. This allows to print huge, basically medium format sizes. Tilt shift is just my preference now, however the same aspect ratio can be accomplished with a wide angle lens that goes about 14-15mm.

I use layer masks and the paintbrush when I do virtually all my blending. There's a bunch of other tools and techniques that do the same thing. There's a thousand ways to skin a cat in Photoshop.

Hope that answers your good questions.

Kane