Topographical canvas map of 14ers

Camera equipment and technique for taking photos.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
casali
14ers: 39 
Trip Reports (1)

Topographical canvas map of 14ers

Post by casali »

Hello guys,

I hiked all of the 14ers in Colorado and I want to remember this accomplishment by buying a topographical canvas map of all of the 14ers to hang on my wall. What website or store sells such a thing?

Thanks,
Frank
Last edited by casali on Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Topographical canvas map of 14ers

Post by SkaredShtles »

Check with these folks: http://www.singletrackmapping.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kent McLemore
14ers: 11 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Kent McLemore »

Beautiful maps here:

http://www.ravenmaps.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-km
Gene913
14ers: 58 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (7)

Post by Gene913 »

If you want something in poster format, check this out:

http://www.amazon.com/Colorado-Fourteen ... B0081MIIVM
"If you have faith like a grain of mustard seed, and you say to this mountain, 'move from here to there,' it will move, and nothing will be impossible for you." Matthew 17:21
acidchylde
14ers: 30 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by acidchylde »

Are you looking for a topo map (overhead showing lines), a shaded relief map (still overhead, no lines, uses shadow to depict topography), or a more artistic perspective type image? Skared's link (wall map at the top) isn't quite a topo since it doesn't show the lines, but it has a lot more info on it than a typical shaded relief. Kent's link has one of the most common shaded reliefs of the state, particularly available at large wall sizes. Neither of them call out 14ers specifically other than if that happens to be a labeled mountain, as is the case with most maps that aren't specifically of the 14er subject variety. Gene's link has a perspective topo relief poster, of which there are a couple of different versions but the base image is probably the most common that calls out all the 14ers. Another site you can take a look at is http://bouldermapgallery.com/catalog/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (I just found through a quick Google search) - they have all of the types mentioned.

Most of these maps are only available as poster prints/paper/. If you want something on canvas, you'll need to find someone who can actually print it that way - either they have an image they can print on whatever media or will print an image you find. I don't know of anywhere that carries these maps on canvas. You could also have your own map custom made so it would show exactly what you want and could be printed on whatever material you want.
fahixson
14ers: 57 
13ers: 31
Trip Reports (1)

Post by fahixson »

We bought this 14er Magnetic map at Charlie's T-shirts in Cherry Creek mall. We use it to keep track of the 14ers we've hiked together and mark the ones we're planning for the coming year - both a map and calendar of sorts.
jesusfreak1824
14ers: 12 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jesusfreak1824 »

I love all the map ideas! But as a woodworker, this company has attracted me many times as it puts a new spin on our peaks. I found this shop when my wife and I were hanging out in Leadville earlier last year. They do incredible work!

http://precisionpeaks.com/#mountain-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"The mountains are calling and I must go." -John Muir
"Climbing brings nothing to humanity. I climb for myself and for the joy of the sport." -Ueli Steck
"Climbing mountains is the only thing I know that combines the best of the physical, spiritual, and emotional world all rolled into one." -Steve Gladbach
acidchylde
14ers: 30 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by acidchylde »

jesusfreak1824 wrote:But as a woodworker, this company has attracted me many times as it puts a new spin on our peaks.
You know, when I was replying to this earlier I was thinking hey, I can get elevation data for the state, and I know someone with access to a giant CNC router... Ever since I was a little kid I've always liked those 3D maps/models in the NPS visitor centers. I'm not at all surprised someone has done something with this, and doing the individual peaks (collect all 5x!) is a neat approach too. Looks like they do nice work.
jdorje
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (16)

Post by jdorje »

How about a 3d printer?
"I don't think about the past, and the future is a mystery. Only the present matters."
jaymz
Trip Reports (1)

Post by jaymz »

acidchylde wrote:
jesusfreak1824 wrote:But as a woodworker, this company has attracted me many times as it puts a new spin on our peaks.
You know, when I was replying to this earlier I was thinking hey, I can get elevation data for the state, and I know someone with access to a giant CNC router... Ever since I was a little kid I've always liked those 3D maps/models in the NPS visitor centers. I'm not at all surprised someone has done something with this, and doing the individual peaks (collect all 5x!) is a neat approach too. Looks like they do nice work.
My wife got me the Tenmile Range for Christmas. It really is cool. I haven't hung it on the wall yet, I still like laying the map next to it for comparison :)
"But in every walk with Nature, one receives far more than he seeks."
John Muir
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

jesusfreak1824 wrote:I love all the map ideas! But as a woodworker, this company has attracted me many times as it puts a new spin on our peaks. I found this shop when my wife and I were hanging out in Leadville earlier last year. They do incredible work!
http://precisionpeaks.com/#mountain-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I've seen his stuff at various Denver art fairs like the June People's Fair.
jesusfreak1824
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jesusfreak1824 »

peter303 wrote:I've seen his stuff at various Denver art fairs like the June People's Fair.
Yeah, they're high quality pieces and consistently accurate. And they use the wood from the pines that have been killed due to the pine beetles. They're also a Colorado company so you can't ask for any better than that!
"The mountains are calling and I must go." -John Muir
"Climbing brings nothing to humanity. I climb for myself and for the joy of the sport." -Ueli Steck
"Climbing mountains is the only thing I know that combines the best of the physical, spiritual, and emotional world all rolled into one." -Steve Gladbach