best Class 1/2 hike with best photo ops??

Camera equipment and technique for taking photos.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Nierman
Trip Reports (0)

Re: best Class 1/2 hike with best photo ops??

Post by Nierman »

I'll second the Grizzly Gulch side of Handies. Esp if you're doing a sunrise hike. Loop back down American Basin side then hitch a ride back down the road in an ATV and make new friends.
That man is richest whose pleasures are cheapest. ~Thoreau
JQDivide
14ers: 58  33 
13ers: 115 1
Trip Reports (58)

Post by JQDivide »

Once again....
Handies via American Basin (not Grizzly Gulch) in mid to late July for wild flowers. (don't go too early or the majority of the flowers will not be out.)

For a Sunrise/Sunset... anywhere in the San Juans.
gorshkov
14ers: 39 
13ers: 35
Trip Reports (0)

Post by gorshkov »

If you're open to 13ers, you should consider California Peak. It has a class 1/2 route up its north ridge from Zapata Lake (see Roach's 13ers book). Since its in the Sangres, you have wide open spaces to the east and the west. Its also a mile or so north of Blanca and Ellingwood, with great views of those peaks, and the Crestones and the Sand Dunes are to the north. I climbed it from the Lily Lake TH, which is now closed; I don't know how the camping is at Zapata Lake, but it isn't a standard 14er trailhead, so it probably won't be crowded.
McCallister81
Trip Reports (0)

Post by McCallister81 »

Thanks again all. Your openness to share is much appreciated. I am definitely open to non-14'er areas too. Just figure if I am there doing photos, I really want to climb a 14 too if they are there.

Anyone have experience hiking in Mayflower gulch near Copper? Are there any "casual" peak hikes other than the trail into it? That place looks nice too and closer to Denver.
Jay521
14ers: 42  10 
13ers: 175 22
Trip Reports (56)

Mayflower Gulch

Post by Jay521 »

Mayflower Gulch IS a nice area. Drift Peak is relatively easy and affords some nice views. I happened to catch it on a day where the wildflowers were spectacular and wrote a short TR on it.
http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=10783
I take the mountain climber's approach to housekeeping - don't look down
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

gorshkov wrote:If you're open to 13ers, you should consider California Peak. It has a class 1/2 route up its north ridge from Zapata Lake (see Roach's 13ers book). Since its in the Sangres, you have wide open spaces to the east and the west. Its also a mile or so north of Blanca and Ellingwood, with great views of those peaks, and the Crestones and the Sand Dunes are to the north. I climbed it from the Lily Lake TH, which is now closed; I don't know how the camping is at Zapata Lake, but it isn't a standard 14er trailhead, so it probably won't be crowded.
The north ridge of California is best reached from the east (Lily Lake TH) as described by Roach. The route from the west side climbs the west ridge of California without ever reaching S Zapata Lake. There is camping at the TH, but as it's a FS campground in close proximity of the Sand Dunes it gets crowded.
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
Jay521
14ers: 42  10 
13ers: 175 22
Trip Reports (56)

Post by Jay521 »

rijaca wrote:The north ridge of California is best reached from the east (Lily Lake TH) as described by Roach. The route from the west side climbs the west ridge of California without ever reaching S Zapata Lake. There is camping at the TH, but as it's a FS campground in close proximity of the Sand Dunes it gets crowded.
I agree that is the better approach, but isn't that a long haul to get there given the mudslide that closed the road last year?
I take the mountain climber's approach to housekeeping - don't look down
Wolfman_CO
14ers: 27  5 
13ers: 36 1 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Wolfman_CO »

I would second the Sangres idea. Lily Lakes is one of my favorite places in all of Colorado and the view of Blanca/Ellingwood is phenomenal; really makes one feel small! They are supposedly starting work on the FS road to the Lily Lake TH this spring (May?) so the access issue will be changing, and the summer TH is currently still accessible just with a longer hike in. Also consider the South Colony Lakes for great views of Crestone Peak/Needle as well as class 1 climbing on Humboldt (a 14er). The Sangres tend to be less crowded than many other CO ranges. Plus they are also 4ish hours from Denver depending on where exactly you go. The Sangres are very photogenic, from either the San Luis or Wet Mountain valleys. Enjoy!
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

Jay521 wrote:
rijaca wrote:The north ridge of California is best reached from the east (Lily Lake TH) as described by Roach. The route from the west side climbs the west ridge of California without ever reaching S Zapata Lake. There is camping at the TH, but as it's a FS campground in close proximity of the Sand Dunes it gets crowded.
I agree, but isn't that a long haul to get there with the mudslide that closed the road last year?
Forgot about the mudslide. So add some distance from the current closure to the TH on the east side until the mess is cleaned up.
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
McCallister81
Trip Reports (0)

Post by McCallister81 »

Now that I think about it, most of what I hope to shoot with my serious gear as far as greenery and such would be from the valleys looking into the valley and the peaks in the background. I was ruling out Sangres because I was worried about seeing too much flat valley in the distance but that won't show in photos looking into valleys.

maybe I'll reconsider it since I see a bunch of nestled lakes like Macey/Crestone. My guess is the greenery won't be quite as endless as San Juan's, but may be a good compromise. I think if I went to SW from Denver, I'd want at least 4 solid days of just exploring and don't quite have that time this go around.
AlexeyD
14ers: 44  4  2 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by AlexeyD »

I'll throw in another +1 for Huron.

Another good one that hasn't been mentioned is Uncompaghre. Great wildflowers and endless mountain views. While technically it's "Class 2+", if you have a somewhat high clearance vehicle, it's one of the shortest 14er hikes out there (only a little longer than Sherman), and the short "crux" section is not particularly scary or exposed.
McCallister81
Trip Reports (0)

Post by McCallister81 »

So after endless debate, decided we are going to hang closer to Denver this time. Other than Ebert, may just be content with going wherever the drive/hike takes us. However, I did come across this area that is in the Gore Range and wondering if anyone knows which peak this is,(see link below)? It says near Silverthorne. If I could get back in this area, I'd have a lot of photo fun. I hear the access to the Gores is trickier though.

https://www.johnfielder.com/jf-0673/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks.