best Class 1/2 hike with best photo ops??

Camera equipment and technique for taking photos.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
McCallister81
Trip Reports (0)

best Class 1/2 hike with best photo ops??

Post by McCallister81 »

Hey,

I am going to make a trip to one of the 14's this summer and being out from out of state, having a tough time deciding which one for overall best photography experience?

Here is a quick summary of what I am keeping in mind when deciding.

1. Has to be a class 1 or 2. Would like a 2 or 3 for my own personal satisfaction, but open to a 1 if the photo op is that good and I have my GF that isn't as inclined to go too extreme. Things like mountain lakes, greenery, maybe some jagged peaks in distance. Don't want all rock and boulders for scenery.

2. Decent camping options in the area.

3. Maybe not super busy with people. I get that is dependent on timing and location so this is a "perfect world" point that is not a must.

4. Round trip hike can be done in less than 16 miles.

Please be honest and let me know if my needs are a pipe dream. I just want us to enjoy the experience and get the most of out the mountain while we visit.

Thank you.
Last edited by McCallister81 on Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beas
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (0)

Re: trying do decide best Class 1/2 14hike with best photo o

Post by Beas »

Handies, hands down.
Mountains are cool.
dpage
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 28 3
Trip Reports (1)

Post by dpage »

Beas wrote:Handies, hands down.
Sometime in early July with wildflowers and snow still on the mountain or filling couloirs in American Basin.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Humboldt may have the best views of any class 1-2 14er:

Others are Huron, Holy Cross, Windom, and Sneffels, though the latter are either long or have some class 2+ scrambling.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
McCallister81
Trip Reports (0)

Re: best Class 1/2 hike with best photo ops??

Post by McCallister81 »

Sorry I hit enter before finishing my original post. Please see updated post if not already. Thanks for such quick help too!
San Juan Ron
14ers: 39 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by San Juan Ron »

Handies in mid-July. Ron :)
"The mountains are calling and I must go" -- Muir
JonMarmot
14ers: 30  1 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JonMarmot »

San Luis, sunshine, and redcloud are all great options too. And solitude is pretty much guaranteed on San Luis!
Beas
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Beas »

The requirements you added make me more confident that Handies is perfect for you. I encouraged my newbie ex all the way top, where jagged beauties greet you from all directions. American Basin is gorgeous, but the views of Handies from Grizzly Gulch are quite lovely as well.
Last edited by Beas on Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mountains are cool.
McCallister81
Trip Reports (0)

Post by McCallister81 »

Wow! Handies and American Basin area can't get any more picturesque with the lush valley. I just wish it was closer to Denver as far as travel time from airport. Have to look into alternative fly-in places.
aweskamp
14ers: 30 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (6)

Post by aweskamp »

As has already been mentioned, Handies in July is outstanding, along with Redcloud/Sunshine. I'd throw in Uncompahgre too. Honestly though, I've never been terribly disappointed with any of the scenery in the hills! :-D

If you're not hell-bent on climbing strictly 14ers, Ice Lake Basin would check many of your boxes (mountain lakes, jagged peaks, green, camping). It's a photographer's dream and there are numerous 13er climbs to choose from. It's definitely one of the most scenic places I've seen.
McCallister81
Trip Reports (0)

Post by McCallister81 »

Thanks everyone. Got to make some tough decisions. Flying into Denver is cheapest, but a good 7 hr drive to SW CO. Only got so many days I can spend there and hate to spend so much time in a car. But, most all the things I want seem to be in the San Juan direction.

That all said, my guess is there is a fair amount of precipitation in this area(thus greenery)? Does the weather patterns seem to be consistent with others ranges in the state? Better to hike in AM and be heading down by noon? Is July, other than possible afternoon precipitation, good as far as not a ton of rain?

Oh and what's people's experience with wildlife in this area? You know, things that may want to eat me?

Thanks!
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

San Luis, sunshine, and redcloud are all great options too.
Redcloud is nice. I don't know if I'd call San Luis or Sunshine photogenic. This is about the best photo I got of San Luis when I was there:

It is an enjoyable hike, but the peak isn't spectacular like some others. It's more like a Sawatch 14er, but with less people.

I didn't find Sunshine to be all that photogenic either.
Does the weather patterns seem to be consistent with others ranges in the state?
The Monsoon typically starts later and ends later than in some other mountain ranges in Colorado, such as the Front Range.
Does the weather patterns seem to be consistent with others ranges in the state? Better to hike in AM and be heading down by noon?
Maybe earlier than that on many many days.
Is July, other than possible afternoon precipitation, good as far as not a ton of rain?
July is usually good.
Oh and what's people's experience with wildlife in this area? You know, things that may want to eat me?
Generally not a problem unless you do something stupid like leaving food around your campsite.
Thanks everyone. Got to make some tough decisions. Flying into Denver is cheapest, but a good 7 hr drive to SW CO. Only got so many days I can spend there and hate to spend so much time in a car. But, most all the things I want seem to be in the San Juan direction.
The San Juans are definitely scenic and perhaps the best range in Colorado. If you didn't want to drive that far, perhaps check into Huron. It has some really great views:

You could also climb Notch Mountain, a 13er, and get a good shot of Holy Cross, a 14er:

Photo credits: Strudolyubov and Yourksman.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.