National Flag Day

Camera equipment and technique for taking photos.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
kwhit24
14ers: 51  2 
13ers: 182 2
Trip Reports (7)

National Flag Day

Post by kwhit24 »

Since today is Flag Day I was curious to see what other pictures people may have taken with either the National Flag or their State Flag. Below is a picture I took from this past weekend on top of Mount Antero with my State of Ohio Burgee (my home state) and another I took while at Park City over New Years weekend. I take it with me on almost all of my ski trips, multi-day concert weekend or summit hikes. It may be a little braggadocios but I like to represent where I'm from. Anyone else have any cool photos?

"In anticipation of tomorrow don't lose sight of today"

IG: kwhit.24
TallGrass
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Re: National Flag Day

Post by TallGrass »

Two most common mistakes I see with Flag Etiquette are 1. rotating a flag to hang vertically with the union (blue part) on the right instead of flipping it so it's on the left same as when horizontal (an upside-down flag is a distress signal) and 2. letting it touch the ground especially little flags shoved in the ground to line a side walk. If you have a damaged or worn flag, please do NOT toss it in the trash, rather fold it nicely, triangle if possible, and tender it to your nearest VFW, American Legion, military group, scout group, or civic custodial services who maintain courthouse and city hall flagpoles for dignified retirement. Please don't abandon them on summits where they'll just get blown off onto the rocks below.
"A few hours' mountain climbing make of a rogue and a saint two fairly equal creatures.
Tiredness is the shortest path to equality and fraternity - and sleep finally adds to them liberty."
Jay521
14ers: 42  10 
13ers: 175 22
Trip Reports (56)

Post by Jay521 »

Kinda hard to see, but I have a small flag attached to my pack. This pic was taken on Pettingel Peak right after 9-11. I sported a flag on my pack for most of the following year. Hard to believe that's almost 15 years ago now.....
Attachments
Pettingel01.jpg
Pettingel01.jpg (61.99 KiB) Viewed 3405 times
Last edited by Jay521 on Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
I take the mountain climber's approach to housekeeping - don't look down
AnnaG22
14ers: 58  7  20 
13ers: 124 3 6
Trip Reports (5)

Post by AnnaG22 »

Where is Tony? He'd be all over this... (and Zee would be as well) #flagsarecool
"The love of wilderness is more than a hunger for what is always beyond reach; it is also an expression of loyalty to the earth, the earth which bore us and sustains us, the only home we shall ever know, the only paradise we ever need – if only we had the eyes to see." -Ed Abbey

"I get scared sometimes—lots of times—but it's not bad. You know? I feel close to myself. When I'm out there at night, I feel close to my own body, I can feel my blood moving, my skin and my fingernails, everything, it's like I'm full of electricity and I'm glowing in the dark—I'm on fire almost—I'm burning away into nothing—but it doesn't matter because I know exactly who I am." from The Things They Carried
12ersRule
14ers: 58 
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Post by 12ersRule »

Thanks for the flag tips, Tallgrass.

Interesting that it's okay to kill a living/breathing wolverine which there are so few, yet treating a discarded flag badly is some kind of unspeakable act against humanity.
TallGrass
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TallGrass »

12ersrule, sorry to hear they were out of hazelnut creamer and only had decaf left. Image
12ersRule
14ers: 58 
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Post by 12ersRule »

Whatever dude, I love America more than you do. By far.

Edit: Jay thank you so much for your service to this country. OP, nice flag.
Last edited by 12ersRule on Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rollie Free
14ers: 45 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Rollie Free »

Great picture Jay.
"Quicker than I can tell it, my hands failed to hold, my feet slipped, and down I went with almost an arrow’s rapidity. An eternity of thought, of life, of death, wife, and home concentrated on my mind in those two seconds. Fortunately for me, I threw my right arm around a projecting boulder which stood above the icy plain some two or three feet." Rev. Elijah Lamb
Jay521
14ers: 42  10 
13ers: 175 22
Trip Reports (56)

Post by Jay521 »

Rollie Free wrote:Great picture Jay.
Thanks, Rollie! Much appreciated!
I take the mountain climber's approach to housekeeping - don't look down
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

Unfortunately I don't have access to the pics right now, but I can assure the group that there were plenty of flags to go around during our July 4, 2005 climb of American Peak.
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
kwhit24
14ers: 51  2 
13ers: 182 2
Trip Reports (7)

Post by kwhit24 »

I thought this website was pretty interesting. I had never realized all the rules. I didn't even know there was a special way the Ohio Flag was to be folded.

http://www.ushistory.org/betsy/faq.htm

'Are flags on T-shirts, ties, etc., really flags?

Yes. According to the Flag Code, a flag is anything "by which the average person seeing the same without deliberation may believe the same to represent the flag."'
"In anticipation of tomorrow don't lose sight of today"

IG: kwhit.24
mikemalick
14ers: 58  9 
13ers: 202 9
Trip Reports (8)

Post by mikemalick »

Taken September 11, 2011 atop Missouri Mountain
P1000356.JPG
P1000356.JPG (253.06 KiB) Viewed 3215 times