14ers App and iOS8

Information on 14ers.com Mobile apps.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Troll posts will be removed.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
nsaladin
14ers: 58  1  5 
13ers: 12 1
Trip Reports (0)

14ers App and iOS8

Post by nsaladin »

Just a heads up, the 14ers app doesn't work on iOS8 (latest beta). It could be just me, but I have uninstalled/reinstalled, and restored my phone. I would expect iOS8 to be released sometime shortly after next week (apples yearly iPhone press event).
kaiman
Trip Reports (10)

Re: 14ers App and iOS8

Post by kaiman »

Typically there is some lag time between iOS releases and app compatibility updates often corresponding to new versions of XCode being released for OS X that support builds for the latest iOS. I am sure Bill will have his developer work on ASAP. Also beta versions if iOS are just that - unfinished, expect some changes between now and then.

In the meantime you could use the mobile site on your phone it works great for me!
"I want to keep the mountains clean of racism, religion and politics. In the mountains this should play no role."

- Joe Stettner

"I haven't climbed Everest, skied to the poles, or sailed single-handed around the world. The goals I set out to accomplish aren't easily measured or quantified by world records or "firsts." The reasons I climb, and the climbs I do, are about more than distance or altitude, they are about breaking barriers within myself."

- Andy Kirkpatrick
nsaladin
14ers: 58  1  5 
13ers: 12 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nsaladin »

kaiman wrote:Typically there is some lag time between iOS releases and app compatibility updates often corresponding to new versions of XCode being released for OS X that support builds for the latest iOS. I am sure Bill will have his developer work on ASAP. Also beta versions if iOS are just that - unfinished, expect some changes between now and then.

In the meantime you could use the mobile site on your phone it works great for me!
I know, I was just giving him the heads up, because the new releases haven't broke his app before that I am aware of.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

great
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
larkinrx2
14ers: 35 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (0)

Post by larkinrx2 »

So we could potentially see the first update app icon for the 14ers app?
What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - That's all I need the ashtray, the remote control, the paddle game, and this magazine, and the chair and I don't need one other thing, except my dog.
[Shithead growls at him]
I don't need my dog.
bugsy
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bugsy »

My beloved 14ers.com app is dead. Some of the features stopped working with iOS 8 so I deleted and reinstalled it.... well that finished it. Now it doesn't work at all. Sniff. iOS 8.0.2 no worky.
Oman
14ers: 57 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Oman »

Time for Apple to hire more Chinese teen coders.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/26/busin ... d=all&_r=0
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
Trip Reports (2)

Apple makes me sad
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
dmccool
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 23
Trip Reports (0)

Post by dmccool »

Phenomenal article, Oman. Thanks for sharing
Save a place for me up in the high country.
There's still space to breathe.

- Gregory Alan Isakov
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
Trip Reports (2)

I only have an iPod with iOS 8.0.2 to test on and the current app works fine on that device but I'll start looking into an update for the app.

Anyone else having problems under iOS 8?
adamjm
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 21
Trip Reports (1)

Post by adamjm »

I have 8.0.2 on a new phone and have no issues so far.
LoveThisSite
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by LoveThisSite »

No issues for me .. ios 8.0.2