Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Android App Beta Testing Thread

Information on 14ers.com Mobile apps.

Android App Beta Testing Thread

Postby Nathan Hale » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:59 am

This is the official thread for beta testers of the 14ers.com Android App to submit any reports they have about the app.

Please note that we are no longer looking for more beta testers, so please don't post any requests to join the beta program. The app will be out soon enough, so just be patient :).
But for now we are young, let us lay in the sun and count every beautiful thing we can see.

http://mtns.nathan-hale.com

Re: Android App Beta Testing Thread

Postby jomagam » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:36 am

Droid X, Android 2.2.1

I hit "Save for Offline" for a route (Keyhole on Longs), then put the phone in airplane mode after 13 of 23 images are downloaded. Now when I turn airplane mode off, the downloads do not resume even though I specifically select "Continue Downloading" after maximizing the download icon (On the screen that says "Currently downloading images for Longs Peak: Keyhole Route. .....)

On a general note, would it be possible to make the app sticky, sorry if I use the wrong technical term. I'd prefer if it was like Google Maps for example that had a permanent icon on the top of the screen when it was running. This way I can easily switch between apps running and do not have to start from scratch if I hit the Home button when using the 14ers app.

Postby jomagam » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:37 am

ps: Hitting "Cancel All Downloads" does not seem to cancel them. I still get the "Images Downloading" page.

Postby Nathan Hale » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:51 am

Hm, good catch. I can replicate that one, so I'll try to see why the download doesn't resume, though I have some theories. It may not be possible to fix that one--it may just be a side-effect of the way that Android deals with airplane mode.

When you hit "cancel all downloads" you should see that the status bar icon goes away and that you exit the download status view screen (where it says "Currently downloading images for [Route]"). Are you seeing either of those things?

As for making the app sticky in the status bar, Google recommends against doing that because that behavior is reserved for apps that are doing something in the background, like playing music. An app that is just not currently being used shouldn't do that.
But for now we are young, let us lay in the sun and count every beautiful thing we can see.

Postby jomagam » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:59 am

I hit "cancel all downloads", but it didn't do anything. Had to reboot my phone to get rid of the icon on top.

Postby Nathan Hale » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:04 am

Ah, okay. I had an issue like that which I thought I'd fixed, but I apparently left another path for that to happen in there, so I'll fix that.

This is great stuff, thanks!

Postby jomagam » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:25 am

Minor, but clicking on "Load Trailhead Conditions" doesn't handle being in offline mode very gracefully. It reports an XML error, rather than saying "You need network connectivity to do this" or sometihng like that.

Postby spaceman » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:05 am

HTC Droid Eris

Very nice app.

For routes that reference other routes you can't link to the previous route. Example would be Little Bear which references the Lake Como Approach, I have to go back to the route page to get to the first part of the hike.

I like the formatting and it seems to load quickly (quicker than a lot of other apps on my phone)

Derek

Postby Nathan Hale » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:34 am

spaceman wrote:For routes that reference other routes you can't link to the previous route. Example would be Little Bear which references the Lake Como Approach, I have to go back to the route page to get to the first part of the hike.

You're right that this would be useful, I'll add it to my list of future items. For now it would require changing the way that data is provided to the app, so it's a longer-term fix.

Thanks for the feedback!

Postby Bean » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:24 pm

HTC Evo

In TH conditions, if there's an attached photo it will say "open to view photo" but there's no link. (it's just copying text from the TH reports, but still)

I know this is a feature request and not a bug, but GPS integration with a map would be handy.
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:31 pm

Bean wrote:HTC Evo
In TH conditions, if there's an attached photo it will say "open to view photo" but there's no link. (it's just copying text from the TH reports, but still)

Yeah, for now I'm not passing TH and Peak condition update photos through the data feed. Maybe in the future.

Bean wrote:I know this is a feature request and not a bug, but GPS integration with a map would be handy.

That's up to Nathan and I think he has all the data he needs if he wants to add that in the future. My personal feeling is that using current smartphones instead of a real GPS will be limited since battery life is such an issue, etc.
Only SNOW will end the madness

Postby Nathan Hale » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:49 pm

Bean wrote:I know this is a feature request and not a bug, but GPS integration with a map would be handy.

This is something that I'd like to add at some point because I agree that it would be really handy to show your position relative to the route or something of that nature. For now, though, anything I could do would pale in comparison to the quality of existing apps dedicated to GPS navigation (my personal choice is BackcountryNavigator).

Next