Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Android App Beta Testing Thread

Information on 14ers.com Mobile apps.

Re: Android App Beta Testing Thread

Postby jomagam » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:25 pm

BillMiddlebrook wrote:
Bean wrote:I know this is a feature request and not a bug, but GPS integration with a map would be handy.

That's up to Nathan and I think he has all the data he needs if he wants to add that in the future. My personal feeling is that using current smartphones instead of a real GPS will be limited since battery life is such an issue, etc.

Agreed that batteries are not strong enough for the hike, but GPS coordinates for trailheads would be useful so that Google Maps can take us there.

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:27 pm

Yup, Nathan should already have that info so it's up to him if he wants to add that.
Good idea
Only SNOW will end the madness

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:46 pm

After more thought,
Isn't some of that functionality already in the app if the user opens up the "Google Map" option on a route description? I've provided Nathan with the .GPX route file and when I click that app link on my Droid, I can open Google maps and it also shows my GPS location in relation to the route line.

While it doesn't have a waypoint for the trailhead, I could certainly add it to the GPX files

Postby areed20 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:48 pm

Some initial thoughts after playing around with it for a little on my Driod with 2.2.2. Is the app only going to use the routes that Bill has added to the site himself? It would be nice to have the routes from 14ers.com users as well like the loft route on Longs. Also, I cannot access the Topo maps, pictures, or the route on Google maps when it is in airplane mode. It might be designed like that since you need data but I figured I would post it anyways. I will continue to play around with it and post more. Overall its an awesome app great job. By far one of the best looking apps out there.

Postby Nathan Hale » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:53 pm

I'll let Bill answer the question about whether he'll provide the user contributed routes eventually since he provides that data to the app.

In answer to your other question:
- The google maps view is not accessible without a network connection
- The route topo and pictures ARE accessible, but require you to download the pictures for a given route before you lose data reception. At Bill's suggestion I'm going to add a button to the main route view page to make that more obvious.
But for now we are young, let us lay in the sun and count every beautiful thing we can see.

http://mtns.nathan-hale.com

Postby Bean » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:44 pm

BillMiddlebrook wrote:After more thought,
Isn't some of that functionality already in the app if the user opens up the "Google Map" option on a route description? I've provided Nathan with the .GPX route file and when I click that app link on my Droid, I can open Google maps and it also shows my GPS location in relation to the route line.

While it doesn't have a waypoint for the trailhead, I could certainly add it to the GPX files

Needs to work in airplane mode, which GMaps does not. Also, I was thinking of the GPS-during-hike functionality for spot-checks, not full-on navigation.
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:52 pm

areed20 wrote:Some initial thoughts after playing around with it for a little on my Driod with 2.2.2. Is the app only going to use the routes that Bill has added to the site himself? It would be nice to have the routes from 14ers.com users as well like the loft route on Longs. Also, I cannot access the Topo maps, pictures, or the route on Google maps when it is in airplane mode. It might be designed like that since you need data but I figured I would post it anyways. I will continue to play around with it and post more. Overall its an awesome app great job. By far one of the best looking apps out there.

For now, yes.
At some point I'll contact each person that has contributed route(s) to get permission since I didn't mention that I would put them in a public app in the first place. Once I get permission from everyone, I'll add them to the feed and they will be picked up by the app.

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:08 pm

Nathan,
Is there an easy way to put a CLOSE "X" on the corner of pop-ups displayed for maps/photos? Currently they have to be closed by pressing the physical back button on the device. Not a big one but would make it flow a lot better as the user goes through photos/maps.

Postby bblack99 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:50 pm

Alright, this is an uber-geeky start to my testing of the app, but I began by reading through the entire Help/About and Terms of Use pages. Near perfect, but I think there's a space missing under Section 2 (Copyright) between "of" and "14ers.com" in the last sentence.

On to more serious matters, I like the simple layout and color scheme. I'll give it a try in bright sunshine tomorrow, but I think the white-on-black will be nice in that setting. On any trailhead page, the question mark next to "Road Difficulty" is a nice popup and I understand the screen real estate concerns, but would it be possible to pop up all of the difficulties instead of just 0 and 6? Touristy types might be most concerned with the dividing line between 2WD and 4WD, but the first line under Road Info defines the actual difficulty of the road. This same situation occurs with the help text on "Exposure" on a route page.

Back on the trailhead page Torreys Peak > Grays Peak Trailhead > Load Trailhead conditions worked beautifully, but when I went to Refresh Conditions Reports, I got an error:
Code: Select all
Error loading trailhead conditions: Couldn't parse XML Data: <2>

Hitting Load again brought the conditions back up, but hitting Refresh again brought back the error (though momentarily) before refreshing.

I'm a big fan of this app so far, and I dig the sort options on the Peaks list. I'll continue playing this weekend!

Postby TeamDino5280 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:17 pm

Samsung Galaxy S Froyo

Great app, i am really impressed!

The first thing that I have found is on the overview TOPO maps and the "TOPO Map" option under peak details. When I try to zoom in with my fingers to see the detail, the map "jumps" to the far left side of the map. I tried this on a couple different maps with the same result.

No to continue exploring, once again this app is going to be a great thing to have.
"Real adventure is defined best as a journey from which you may not come back alive, and certainly not as the same person."
- Yvon Chouinard
"I try to play by the mountain’s rules instead of mine."
- Lou Dawson

Postby Brian Thomas » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:54 pm

Non-computer-nerd initial review:

Running very fast as compared to loading 14ers.com on my default browser where I live in Denver. I've only had my Android for 4 months so I can't really compare with a frame of reference going back to the i-phone intro in 2007.

Will be taking my phone up to Lake Como and beyond this weekend, results to follow...

Again, thank you Bill (and Nathan) !!!
"I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them" - Bob Dylan

Postby Nathan Hale » Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:51 am

All,

There is an updated version on the FTP now that corrects a couple of issues, most notably the cancelling of a photo download. It doesn't address the fact that a download that is stopped by enabling airplane mode sort of goes into no man's land yet, but that may be an android issue since the system is not registering an error that I can use to fail the download.

I changed a couple of other cosmetic things as well, but the download thread is the big one. Bill updated the size of the maps last night at my suggestion, so try a few out and see if you think they're too big/too slow or if they improve things. The most drastically changed one was the Routes Overview Map on each Peak Page.

If anyone saw my post from last night and installed the version that I had up between about 10pm last night and about 6:30 this morning, then you'll want to re-install because there was a nasty bug in that one which Bill found.

Addressing some other issues:

TeamDino5280 wrote:The first thing that I have found is on the overview TOPO maps and the "TOPO Map" option under peak details. When I try to zoom in with my fingers to see the detail, the map "jumps" to the far left side of the map. I tried this on a couple different maps with the same result.

This is due to the size of the maps, and the way that the web browser (which is how those pictures are rendered) handles images that are smaller than the view. The increase in map size may impact this a bit, let me know.

bblack99 wrote:I think there's a space missing under Section 2 (Copyright) between "of" and "14ers.com" in the last sentence.

Fixed. Good catch! Hopefully everyone will read that stuff as carefully as you did.

On any trailhead page, the question mark next to "Road Difficulty" is a nice popup and I understand the screen real estate concerns, but would it be possible to pop up all of the difficulties instead of just 0 and 6? Touristy types might be most concerned with the dividing line between 2WD and 4WD, but the first line under Road Info defines the actual difficulty of the road. This same situation occurs with the help text on "Exposure" on a route page.

This is a good point, I'll try some different wordings to see how it looks in terms of screen real estate.

Back on the trailhead page Torreys Peak > Grays Peak Trailhead > Load Trailhead conditions worked beautifully, but when I went to Refresh Conditions Reports, I got an error:
Code: Select all
Error loading trailhead conditions: Couldn't parse XML Data: <2>

Hitting Load again brought the conditions back up, but hitting Refresh again brought back the error (though momentarily) before refreshing.

I've seen this error occasionally as well, but you're the second tester to encounter it so it might be more common than I thought. I'll try to investigate the cause a bit more, but when I've seen it it's always been an error with the xml parser within android, so I'm not sure how much I can do. But I'll check into it.
But for now we are young, let us lay in the sun and count every beautiful thing we can see.

http://mtns.nathan-hale.com

PreviousNext