Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Android App Beta Testing Thread

Information on 14ers.com Mobile apps.

Re: Android App Beta Testing Thread

Postby Nathan Hale » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:08 pm

Thanks everyone for the additional comments. I've posted a third version (identified in the Help/About screen as 0.2, though not in the Android Settings > Applications menu) on the FTP that fixes all of the issues that most people have brought up as well as adding a few features:

- Fixes the notification of a complete download of offline images disappearing right away
- Adds a close button to the images
- Added a button to take you to google maps for trailheads whose coordinates are known, which is most of them. You can use this to get directions.
- The issue where conditions sometimes weren't downloaded has been fixed, I think. I saw one that looked similar but actually wasn't the same thing that I can't fix, but I believe that the issue that everyone saw has been addressed
- The logo on the main page now links to 14ers.com, as does a new link that I added beneath the buttons.
- Added more descriptive help text for exposure and road difficulty, also added help text for Class 1, 2, etc.

I may be forgetting one or two other things, I've been in and out on working on this over the weekend, so there may be something else.

areed20 wrote:I was on the MT. Bross West Slopes route description page and I went to the Google Maps link. After I was done I hit back on my Driod and got a message that said "error cannot load route data" when I tried to get back to the route description screen.

This happens both for the route maps and for the new TH maps link. The reason is that sometimes Google maps takes up a lot of memory and causes this app to be killed. So when you switch back it doesn't know exactly where it was. You can just go back to the peak list to get out, but it is a bit annoying, I agree.

harrise wrote:I'm getting a picture about 25% larger than screen size in both orientations. Not a big thing, but I like to have the pic and caption all visible when tapped. Then I have to zoom out for the complete sentence to display.

This is possible, but I suspect that everyone will have a different preference, so I'm not sure I want to change it for now. This could be a future addition to the "settings" screen.

harrise wrote:When I start the offline loading in wifi and get out of range the downloading stops (obviously), then get no prompts to resume. Without data the only way I would find out is once I tap the next picture and get the "image not currently available" message (because the thumbnails are still there). The status bar icon stating that "10 of 21" downloaded successfully lasts only a few seconds.

You'll just have to redownload everything. The reason that I don't try only the ones that aren't there is because sometimes people will be downloading this when the images change, in which case everything will need to be downloaded, and there's no way to tell the difference. The issue with the status bar icon disappearing quickly has been fixed.

spaceman wrote:I think I got the new one installed, is there a way to check? The version shows 1.0 still.

When I view a picture on any of the routes, the zoom buttons at the bottom cover up most of the caption so it is difficult to read what the picture is of.

For now, the version that you can use to tell which version you have is only on the Help/About screen. The very latest (the one I posted tonight) is 0.2.

As for the zoom buttons, they disappear after a few seconds. That's an android thing that I don't have much control over, but when I re-write the image display stuff, that will be fixed.
But for now we are young, let us lay in the sun and count every beautiful thing we can see.

http://mtns.nathan-hale.com

Postby Buckshot Jake » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:39 am

I was up in the mountains all weekend with no service and used the app a couple times. The only issues I encountered were most of the ones people have mentioned on here already. I am using a myTouch 3g with 2.2.1.

My only suggestion that I didn't see on this thread is a member log-in. That way we can update our accounts, chat, send messages, etc. without using the full site.

Postby Nathan Hale » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:03 am

Oh, one other thing that I added in the latest version (currently on the FTP) is that while the error messages while loading conditions are less likely to show up, if they do show up then you'll have the option from there of reloading the conditions rather than backing out to the previous page and then re-entering.
But for now we are young, let us lay in the sun and count every beautiful thing we can see.

http://mtns.nathan-hale.com

Postby spaceman » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:17 pm

I haven't had a chance to download the latest revision, but I really haven't come across any issues. Overall I think the App looks great and you did a great job creating a functional app that will be extremely useful. Thanks

Postby dsunwall » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:43 pm

Bean wrote:HTC Evo
I know this is a feature request and not a bug, but GPS integration with a map would be handy.

You can download the GPX files from this site and import into Backcountry Navigator for GPS use on your smart phone. Apologies if thats already been mentioned here.

You also can create "My Maps" in Google maps using the GPX files for use with Google maps and GPS location. That is a little more involved, I can explain it if you want to know, although you probably could figure it out. Once created on your PC, on your phone you open "layers" and then "more layers" then "my maps". I use that alot for lower peaks with LOJ files. Google maps on a smartphone with peak waypoints are pretty cool while traveling in cell coverage. Supposedly google maps now download to your phone as well, so you might be able to use 14ers.com gpx files out of coverage, haven't tried that.

One good thing about Droid phones, batteries can be changed.

I too am looking forward to the 14ers app, looks like it is well designed.

Previous