Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Good Hiking Apps for the iPhone

Information on 14ers.com Mobile apps.

Good Hiking Apps for the iPhone

Postby Hiker Mike » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:50 pm

Hi,

I just got an iPhone and I know that there is no specfic app for 14ers. However, are there any apps out there for iPhones that would be useful for hiking in general? I just downloaded a free North Face appp but I haven't even checked it out yet.

Hiker Mike
"Just because you love the mountains doesn't mean the mountains love you."
-Lou Whittaker

Re: Good Hiking Apps for the iPhone

Postby JustDSM » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:55 am

AllTrails is another you could try.

I also keep these on my phone as a reference while I'm 'out and about':

SurvivalGuide (U.S. Army FM 21-76, Survival)
Moutaineering (U.S. Army FM 3-97.61, Military Mountaineering)
Grog Knots (Animated Knot tying guide)

Postby geojed » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:30 am

Check out http://topomapsapp.com/ $7.99 in the app store. It is a fairly simple, no frills program but very elegant and very, very powerful.

- You can download Hi-Res or Lo-Res Topo maps for free, even some Canadian topo maps!
- It uses the GPS chip in your IPhone to get your location fairly quickly. You can turn the GPS function off/on easily which is key to not killing your battery.
- You can increase/decrease the shaded relief nature of the map, even change where the sunlight is coming from, it has color topo relief too.
- It computes what's visible from your location with a visibility cloak.
- It has a compass function.
- The only weakness of this app is that it doesn't support "Tracks" yet. But you can create waypoints all along your "track" and it's just as good, or create a "route" which places waypoints at each point/vertex of the route that you draw. :D I contacted the developer of this app and he said it would be awhile before it supports tracks. :(
- Also a function it doesn't have is that it won't "track" you as you hike along. I don't really care for that function though as it kills your battery very quickly. Trimble has an AllSport GPS app you can get for free or fairly cheaply.

Then for pre-trip planning, I haven't found anything that beats Trimble Adventure Planner. And it's free! Create routes/waypoints to your hearts content and then from within the Topomaps app you can navigate to your trip page and download the GPX file quickly and easily from Trimble. I even took the 14ers.com KMZ file that has ALL the routes on the site, ALL the 14ers and 13ers, and all the 14ers trailheads, and converted it to a GPX file, and then uploaded it to Trimble (http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/ViewTrip.aspx?tripID=1462816&secretLinkKey=490bdf56-ad41-4084-8184-bb3252c989aa) Then downloaded that to my Topomaps app on my IPhone.

Trimble has their own IPhone app and it's free, but it's not nearly as slick, simple and easy to use "in-the-field" as the Topomaps app.

Just ask Aaron (andyouseeme) about how it helped him on his recent climb of Little Bear (http://14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=11426). I had told him about this app and Trimble Adventure Planner and it was key to his success.
Last edited by geojed on Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:26 am, edited 3 times in total.
• It's by getting away from life that we can see it most clearly... It's by depriving ourselves of the myriad of everyday experiences that we renew our appreciation for them...I've learned from my experiences in the mountains that I love life. — Dave Johnston
• Mountains are not climbed merely to reach a geographical location — but as personal and spiritual challenges to the participants. — David Stein
• The best climber in the world is the one who’s having the most fun.— Alex Lowe
• Why do I climb the mountain? Because I'm in love! — The Captain

Postby AndYouSeeMe » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:08 am

+1000000000 for topomapsapp and trimbleoutdoors

best 8 bucks i have spent in awhile, thanks again for the recs, Jed!

Postby geojed » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:13 am

AndYouSeeMe wrote:+1000000000 for topomapsapp and trimbleoutdoors

best 8 bucks i have spent in awhile, thanks again for the recs, Jed!

TESTIFY BROTHER!!!! :YY :YY :YY
• It's by getting away from life that we can see it most clearly... It's by depriving ourselves of the myriad of everyday experiences that we renew our appreciation for them...I've learned from my experiences in the mountains that I love life. — Dave Johnston
• Mountains are not climbed merely to reach a geographical location — but as personal and spiritual challenges to the participants. — David Stein
• The best climber in the world is the one who’s having the most fun.— Alex Lowe
• Why do I climb the mountain? Because I'm in love! — The Captain

Postby USAKeller » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:02 am

Check out the iPhone app called Theodolite. It serves as a GPS, compass, inclinometer. And it has a zoom camera. It's super cool!
How long after arriving at someone's house is it appropriate to ask for the WiFi password?

Postby Hiker Mike » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:21 am

Thanks for the info everyone. I will check it out.

Mike
"Just because you love the mountains doesn't mean the mountains love you."
-Lou Whittaker

Postby colokeith » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:07 am

Here is a post I did a while back with my opinions on this
http://coloradokeith.com/iphone-as-an-outdoor-device
To climb is to push yourself in a way you might not normally imagine is possible. If your stamina, skill, and luck are sound you will get to stand on top. ... I realized that with climbing, I'd found something that nourished my soul and could forge me into a better version myself - Jim Davidson

Postby susanjoypaul » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:26 pm

I haven't tried any hiking apps yet, but I *do* like this new climbing app from FalconGuides, Best Climbs Guide to Moab, Utah. Of course, I may be partial... there's a picture of me on it! :D
Attachments
Moab App.JPG
Moab App.JPG (23.72 KiB) Viewed 629 times