Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

High Park fire

Colorado wildfires and flooding

Re: High Park fire

Postby tmathews » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:28 am

We have a hella lot of smoke from the fire all the way down here in the Springs this morning. The smell is really heavy in the air and I can't even see Pikes Peak from my place. :wft:

Postby Waggs » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:45 am

tmathews wrote:We have a hella lot of smoke from the fire all the way down here in the Springs this morning. The smell is really heavy in the air and I can't even see Pikes Peak from my place. :wft:

Yep. Was noticing the same (from north end of COS).

http://wxug.us/pd2d

Our smoke might be from a fire burning east of Durango

Waggs
Gloves are optional. Mittens mandatory - S. Gladbach

Postby tmathews » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:46 am

Waggs wrote:
tmathews wrote:We have a hella lot of smoke from the fire all the way down here in the Springs this morning. The smell is really heavy in the air and I can't even see Pikes Peak from my place. :wft:

Yep. Was noticing the same (from north end of COS).

http://wxug.us/pd2d

Our smoke might be from a fire burning east of Durango

Waggs

CSFD said that it's from the High Park Fire on their twitter feed.

Postby Presto » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:48 am

I can smell it in Denver this morning (and much haze too). Wind is out of the north/northeast currently (so for us, it is definitely coming from this fire) ... wind is supposed to switch to out of the south by this afternoon so some of that should dissipate by later today.
As if none of us have ever come back with a cool, quasi-epic story instead of being victim to tragic rockfall, a fatal stumble, a heart attack, an embolism, a lightning strike, a bear attack, collapsing cornice, some psycho with an axe, a falling tree, carbon monoxide, even falling asleep at the wheel getting to a mountain. If you can't accept the fact that sometimes "s**t happens", then you live with the illusion that your epic genius and profound wilderness intelligence has put you in total and complete control of yourself, your partners, and the mountain. How mystified you'll be when "s**t happens" to you! - FM

Postby Dave B » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:22 am

Took a jog up at Reservoir Ridge this morning after being out of town for the past three days. I was shocked to see pretty much everything from the northern end of Horsetooth all the way up to Greyrock torched. It looked like they definitely have the eastern edge maintained though as there was a single helicopter dumping water in a small canyon area directly above some houses. While there were still some isolated patches of green canopy remaining, it was a pretty dismal site.

On the other hand though, there wasn't a whole lot of visible smoke from actively burning areas and the wind had already switched around to the SSE. It looks from LCSAR maps that most of the active area is now on the western side.
"There is no cheating in climbing, only lying." - Semi-Rad

Postby kushrocks » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:26 pm

" The two most important days in your life are the day you were born, and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
"Danger in Alpinism is just part of the game. As soon as you eliminate the danger you have just every other sport." Febrizio Zangrilli
“The best climber in the world is the one who is having all the fun.” – Alex Lowe
"To travel, to experience and learn, that is to live" - Sherpa Tensing Norgay (first person to Summit Mt. Everest)
"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit" - Edward Abbey
" Don’t be afraid to move out of your comfort zone. Some of your best life experiences and opportunities will transpire only after you dare to loose."

Postby George James » Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:02 pm

A couple really nice map resources:

Nice compliation of data by Brendan Heberton on GeoCommons: http://geocommons.com/maps/176979

Colorado Wildfire Viewer by Data Transfer Solutions: http://co.dtswildfire.com/

That second one is rather impressive. Click on the Wildfire Viewer link at the top of the page and it opens up a more comprehensive viewer that's almost got too much information to handle.
Last edited by George James on Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
- A mountain is not a checkbox to be ticked
- Alpinism and mountaineering are not restricted to 14,000 foot mountains
- Judgment and experience are the two most important pieces of gear you own
- Being honest to yourself and others about your abilities is a characteristic of experienced climbers
- Courage cannot be bought at REI or carried with you in your rucksack
~ The Baron Von Bergschrund

Postby RyanSchilling » Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:55 pm

kushrocks wrote:Looks like the heavy smoke from the high park fire which has already entered Denver and Colorado Springs is almost to pueblo.

http://www.wunderground.com/auto/preview/wundermap/?lat=37.68382&lon=-121.70654&zoom=6&type=ter&rad=0&wxsn=0&svr=0&cams=0&sat=0&mm=0&riv=0&hur=0&fire=1&fire.sat=1&fire.smk=1&fire.day=7&fire.hrmin=0&fire.hrmax=24

The satellite detected fires on the map illustrate how this thing is pushing west pretty aggressively. Not good news :( :(

Postby Dave B » Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:19 pm

George James wrote:...That second one is rather impressive....

Yes it is! Thanks for the link George.
"There is no cheating in climbing, only lying." - Semi-Rad

Postby mike offerman » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:32 pm

I can currently see that the fire is basically at the top of East White Pine. I would have never guessed that the fire would be able to travel 4 miles to the West!

Previous