Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Waldo Canyon Fire (Colorado Springs)

Colorado wildfires and flooding

Re: Waldo Canyon Fire (Colorado Springs)

Postby jeffCC » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:34 pm

I didn't see this mentioned here yet, but since it pertains to a lot of us: Barr Trail and Barr Camp are open!

Check the Barr Camp website for latest status.

Postby tmathews » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:28 am

Just FYI -- Old Stage Road is closed until further notice due to fire danger.

Postby SilverLynx » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:39 am

Gareth wrote:
susanjoypaul wrote:This has really brought out the best in people, and for some, the worst. On another tangent: WALDO CANYON FIRE: Thieves trash homes, break into cars

I just have to say that I think the people which do this sort of thing are amongst the absolutely lowest sort of scum on the face of the earth. I hope that they get their fair share of what they deserve in this life or the next. :evil:

Aside from the fact that looters are the scum of the earth, I'm really confused as to why someone would slice up couches and just break and ruin random things if the goal was to steal valuables:

"Debbie and Brian Vitulli said thieves broke a picture window at their house to get in and took jewelry. But the damage they left behind was the worst part — couches were sliced by knives and their children’s artwork was torn up."

It adds insult to injury. I want to punch these people in the nose, hard.
"I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear."
~Nelson Mandela

"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma - which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition."
~Steve Jobs

Postby EatinHardtack » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:57 am

SilverLynx wrote:
Gareth wrote:
susanjoypaul wrote:This has really brought out the best in people, and for some, the worst. On another tangent: WALDO CANYON FIRE: Thieves trash homes, break into cars

I just have to say that I think the people which do this sort of thing are amongst the absolutely lowest sort of scum on the face of the earth. I hope that they get their fair share of what they deserve in this life or the next. :evil:

Aside from the fact that looters are the scum of the earth, I'm really confused as to why someone would slice up couches and just break and ruin random things if the goal was to steal valuables:

"Debbie and Brian Vitulli said thieves broke a picture window at their house to get in and took jewelry. But the damage they left behind was the worst part — couches were sliced by knives and their children’s artwork was torn up."

It adds insult to injury. I want to punch these people in the nose, hard.

I heard two people were caught and high on Meth. Also some people in this world are just pieces of sh!t.
"In our youths our hearts were touched with fire" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Postby tmathews » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:08 am

I'm not a violent person, but if someone happens across these kids, please beat them. :fight: :cussing: :detonate:

Postby Greenhouseguy » Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:20 pm

I just ate at T.G.I. Friday's on 120th Ave. in Thornton, and they're promoting an evening to assist fire victims. On Wednesday, July 11th from 4-10, they will donate 50% of their profits to the Red Cross fund to help the fire victims. Their beer is cold and their burgers aren't bad. I'm not sure if this deal is valid at other locations.
"May your boulder be your blessing." - Aron Ralston

Postby tmathews » Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:51 pm

Postby Tommy Dorr » Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:12 am

Here is the FB Event created yesterday. I will start a new thread titled Manitou Alive - Venue 515

This is gonna be a Big One!!

An amazing line up of well known local musicians, bands, artists and sponsors stepping up to donate what they do best. This is a benefit for the economic development of Manitou Springs. Furthermore, you'll get a key to the city for the day (and night). Here's our line up:

Charlie Milo
Grant Sabine
Joe Johnson
Animus Invidious
Sound Shop
Axiom Trio
Chris Winters
Ode To The Marionette
Chris Winters
Adam Lopez and His Mighty LoCasters

(order of appearance TBD)

Here's how it works. Entry to this event is a $10 donation. With this you get an entry bracelet, a raffle ticket and the satisfation of helping Manitou Springs where and when it counts most.

Your entry bracelet allows you to enter and exit the event freely all day and night. You'll be given a playbill outlining the acts, times, styles, raffels, special events, etc. You'll also get a Map of Manitou showcases many of our many unique businesses and fare. We highly encourage you to tour our amazing oasis and come back to Venue 515 to see the performances as you please. You'll also receive a raffle ticket for the many art and business give aways between each act.

Where else can you find this all under one roof? No where, so don't miss it!!
"Try not... do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda
"When the Power of Love overcomes the Love for Power, then the world will Know Peace." - Jimi Hendrix

Postby kman » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:59 pm

A couple pics looking toward the burn area, taken during my hike down Barr Trail yesterday. It was a hazy day, but you can clearly see the green, unburned forest in the middle of the pictures, and beyond that, the blackened scorched earth of the Rampart Range. Very sad.
Attachments
PIKES PEAK 5-JULY-2012 160.JPG
PIKES PEAK 5-JULY-2012 160.JPG (242.14 KiB) Viewed 584 times
PIKES PEAK 5-JULY-2012 139.JPG
PIKES PEAK 5-JULY-2012 139.JPG (289.74 KiB) Viewed 584 times
Last edited by kman on Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Jim Davies » Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:43 pm

I've been out of town for a few days; have the restrictions on North Cheyenne Canyon and other large local parks been lifted yet?

I promise not to start any wildfires this weekend. You probably won't be able to get a match lit with all the rain that's predicted. :)
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of white blood cells.

Postby timstich » Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:51 pm

We were driving back from Elevenmile Canyon just a few hours ago and saw smoke coming from brush right up the hill from 24 near Crystola. Rains have fortunately been spreading around the area today, so hopefully that saw some as well.

Postby tmathews » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:47 am

Previous