Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Fire in Estes Park

Colorado wildfires and flooding

Fire in Estes Park

Postby Kiefer » Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:59 pm

Jeebers! What the hell is going on!?

There's also a fire burning in Estes Park now! It's up on the ridge just west of the landfill near High Drive.
Started out, I believe, someone burning trash...seriously folks? It's turned into a wildland fire and has burned
4 structures already (strong possibility of homes considering the area). The winds up here in town have been really blowing all day.
They've been dumping water from Lake Estes on the fire for the last 2 hours.
It's like 1.5 miles from my apartment!

HUGE pillows of smoke from the High Park Fire to the north and now, black/gray pillows of smoke just to the west.
Fairgrounds were evacuated an hour ago... :?

There's a state-wide fire ban and yet firework stands are still starting to pop up in parking lots. Common sense...Where art thou!?
"Wisdom comes from making mistakes.
Experience, is the knowledge of knowing what to do when one makes a mistake and wisdom,
stems from the changes we go through while learning from those mistakes."

Re: Fire in Estes Park

Postby ajkagy » Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:06 pm

dang, the news hasn't really reported much it seems on the fire in estes park, is it spreading fast? I heard at least 16 structures burnt...stay safe.
http://www.resortbeta.com - An interactive ski/snowboard experience for all your favorite ski resorts.

Postby Magnum420 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:27 pm

New fires from yesterday and today.

Mancos Fire - 2,500acres - Near Durango - Started Friday.
Woodland Heights fire - 25+ acres - southwest of Estes Park
Waldo Canyon fire - 150+ acres - Near Colorado Springs
New Treasure fire - 10+ acres - Lear Leadville
"I was high on life till I realized it was cut with idiots!" ---Anon---

Postby CORed » Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:29 pm

Kiefer wrote:Jeebers! What the hell is going on!?

There's also a fire burning in Estes Park now! It's up on the ridge just west of the landfill near High Drive.
Started out, I believe, someone burning trash...seriously folks? It's turned into a wildland fire and has burned
4 structures already (strong possibility of homes considering the area). The winds up here in town have been really blowing all day.
They've been dumping water from Lake Estes on the fire for the last 2 hours.
It's like 1.5 miles from my apartment!

HUGE pillows of smoke from the High Park Fire to the north and now, black/gray pillows of smoke just to the west.
Fairgrounds were evacuated an hour ago... :?

There's a state-wide fire ban and yet firework stands are still starting to pop up in parking lots. Common sense...Where art thou!?

Burning trash? I hope they identify the idiots responsible and throw the book at them, criminal charges and civil suits.

Postby HikerGuy » Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:38 pm

Our good friends and their two dogs have evacuated from the Estes Park fire and are staying with us in Boulder. Crazy how many new fires started today, resources must be getting spread thin. And props to the firefighters working in this heat. True heros.

Postby newbie08 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:47 pm

I was going to hike up Iowa Gulch on Sunday. Couldn't find exactly where the New Treasure fire is, should I avoid anything east of Leadville?

Postby sunny1 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:57 pm

newbie08 wrote:I was going to hike up Iowa Gulch on Sunday. Couldn't find exactly where the New Treasure fire is, should I avoid anything east of Leadville?

Hard to say, for sure - there's not much info available about the New Treasure fire right now. Depends on the wind direction and if it can be "knocked down" quickly.

I hiked Bald A from Boreas Pass today. We first noted smoke to the south (East of Leadville area) around 1:30. By the time we'd gotten back to 285, the smoke plume had gotten ominous and large.
It was disturbing to see the plumes of smoke across the state from up high - High Park, could see 1-2 plumes west of Co Spgs, then the New Treasure fire.
Didn't notice the smell of smoke until higher elevation today. Then you could smell it and taste it.

Be safe, everybody.
The older you get, the better you get, unless you're a banana.

Postby caad4rep » Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:18 pm

Hmmm.....I was planning on going to RMNP for a few days this week, leaving from Minnesota on Tuesday. This might shut down my trip. Bummer!

I hope everyone stays safe out there!

Postby Doctor No » Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:41 pm

Terrible news. Pray for rain!!

We were going to hike Mount Ida tomorrow. It feels weird looking at the weather forecast and hoping for thunderstorms.

Postby mattb528 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:52 pm

I am living in RMNP for the week for work and we got evacuated. The fire started about a quarter mile from where we are staying. I am in the Estes Park HS awaiting more info. I will update when I hear more.

Postby susanjoypaul » Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:23 pm

I have reservations for a few days in RMNP - heading up there in the morning... per the backcountry office ranger, they're not evacuating the public campgrounds and, unless things change, they'll be open tomorrow.

Of course, I'll have to pack an extra bag in case I can't get into my *own* neighborhood when I get back home to the Springs... they have the roads one block west of me blocked to traffic now!

Good luck and be safe to everybody out there working this mess. I realize that my own inconveniences are trivial in comparison.

Postby ctlee » Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:27 pm

Watched the fire build from Glacier Gorge--then, on the way out of town, watched a dude in a Jeep with out of state license plates throw a lit cigarette out the window. We were stopped in traffic so I hung out my window and yelled "Did you REALLY just throw a lit cigarette out of that Jeep?" --great to see the crowd of people at the side of the road turn around. Terrible to see one of my favorite places burn--I hope everyone stays safe--especially the firefighters out in this God awful heat!!
Live as if you were to die tomorrow-learn as if you were to live forever-----Mahatma Gandhi

Next