Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

About Camping in the Guanella Pass area

Colorado wildfires and flooding

About Camping in the Guanella Pass area

Postby rohit » Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:22 pm

We're trying to hike Mt Bierstadt on Saturday. Trying to come to the trailhead to just camp(sleep), no campfire nothing. Can we do it? or camping is restricted there? Anyone know about this? Any one camped after the fire in Colorado Spring?

Re: About Camping in the Guanella Pass area

Postby Sugar Madison » Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:30 pm

You can camp there still. There is a fire ban, but there isn't any sort of camping ban... we haven't moved to Stage 3 fire restrictions (closure) yet, thankfully.
Last edited by Sugar Madison on Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby mountain_man » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:07 pm

Thanks for asking this question. I'm hiking Bierstadt a week from Saturday and was considering camping.
"To live and not to breathe is to die in tragedy." - Billie Joe Armstrong
"What I know I could put into a pack as if it were bread and cheese, and carry it on one shoulder, important and honorable, but so small! While everything else continues, unexplained, and unexplainable." - Mary Oliver

Postby Ceastar » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:07 pm

If you want a little privacy, there's Guanella Pass Campground about 1.5 mi north of the pass with decent pay sites. Or, if the fallen trees have been cleared, across from the campround is a 4wd road to Silver Dollar Lake TH with many unofficial campsites on either side.

Postby its_not_a_tuba » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:34 pm

On the south side of the pass is geneva basin that has great free camping up the road past geneva park campground, tons of sites. if you stick around during the day prepare for lots of ATVs and gun nuts playing target practice all day long though. If you have a decent SUV the drive up the 4wd road all the way to the top of geneva basin is well worth it. road is not too bad, just narrow in spots toward the end. very pretty up there.
"Wilderness settles peace on the soul because it needs no help. It is beyond human contrivance." -- E.O. Wilson

Postby edhaman » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:46 pm

I car camped at the Guanella Pass trailhead last Sunday night. There were 4 other vehicles in the lower lot, and it looked like there were a few in the upper lot. There are NO signs indicating camping is prohibited there. I tent camped there last year, too. There are toilets at both lots, but no running water.

Postby Lamb » Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:53 pm

Ceastar wrote:If you want a little privacy, there's Guanella Pass Campground about 1.5 mi north of the pass with decent pay sites. Or, if the fallen trees have been cleared, across from the campround is a 4wd road to Silver Dollar Lake TH with many unofficial campsites on either side.

Trees are clear and I saw many passenger cars on the "4wd road." It is not a bad road at all and like you say there plenty of free camping.

Postby 14erFred » Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:02 pm

Ceastar wrote:If you want a little privacy, there's Guanella Pass Campground about 1.5 mi north of the pass with decent pay sites.

In my experience over the past few years, because Guanella Pass CG allows users to reserve campsites online, typically none of the sites are available for anyone who seeks to acquire one on-site. You stand a far better chance of finding a camping spot along the Guanella Pass Road or the road to the Silver Dollar Lake TH. I wish you good luck with it.
"Live as on a mountain." -- Marcus Aurelius

Postby Eaglelift » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:44 pm

As others have said you can camp there I've never had a problem and it's decent camping all things considered.

Postby rohit » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:16 pm

Thank you everyone responding this. It helped lot.