Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Pine Ridge Fire (Grand Junction area)

Colorado wildfires and flooding

Pine Ridge Fire (Grand Junction area)

Postby robby40 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:38 pm

§ Interstate 70 is shut down between Colorado Highway 65 and De Beque, as heavy smoke is covering the roadway, according to police radio reports.
§ Mesa County Sheriff reports the fire has crested the rim of De Beque Canyon and is descending the canyon wall near mile marker 54 on Interstate 70.
§ De Beque: The Mesa County Sheriff issued an evacuation order for homes and businesses south of S 1/2 Road, west of 45.5 Road and east of Interstate 70.
http://www.nbc11news.com/
http://www.gjsentinel.com/

Re: Pine Ridge Fire (Grand Junction area)

Postby Magnum420 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:51 pm

Just got a summit county alert email saying the smoke tonight in summit is from this fire.
"I was high on life till I realized it was cut with idiots!" ---Anon---

Postby AlexMack » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:00 pm

God I hope it doesn't cross over to the Grand Mesa.
"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment." - Evan Hardin

Postby jdorje » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:18 pm

http://wxug.us/q1te

That's from earlier today - during daytime when satellite fire detection worked. Scary.
-Jason Dorje Short

Postby kaiman » Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:21 am

Edit: Sounds like they have a detour setup on Highway 65 through the Powderhorn ski area to Debeque.

Just a quick update. As of 6 AM this morning, the Grand Junction news stations were reporting that East Bound I-70 is open, but West Bound I-70 is closed from Debeque to the area around Highway 65 in Debeque Canyon.

Maybe it's a good weekend to stay in Moab and climb in the La Sals... \:D/
Last edited by kaiman on Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I want to keep the mountains clean of racism, religion and politics. In the mountains this should play no role."

- Joe Stettner

"Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste; look well to each step; and from the beginning think what may be the end."

- Edward Whymper

Postby rijaca » Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:39 am

kaiman wrote:Just a quick update. As of 6 AM this morning, the Grand Junction news stations were reporting that East Bound I-70 is open, but West Bound I-70 is closed from Debeque to the area around Highway 65 in Debeque Canyon.

CDOT is reporting that one lane in each direction is open.
"Spent a little time on the mountain
Spent a little time on the hill"

Postby MUni Rider » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:11 am

As of 7:30 a.m., one lane of I-70 was open both directions through De Beque Canyon (between mile markers 49 and 62). Additional closures of I-70 in this area are likely today due to firefighting activity and possible smoke. At this time the alternate route around this closure is open. From DeBeque head south on the DeBeque Cutoff Road (45 1/2 Road) to Highway 65 and back to I-70. If the fire crosses the interstate or if smoke becomes a problem, this alternate route could be closed as well. Check back here or COTrip.org for the latest information.

The fire burned to I-70 in this area but has not crossed the interstate. Keeping the fire on the west side of the interstate is a priority for firefighters today.

Firefighters conducted a successful burnout operation on the northeast flank of the fire, which created a fire break between the active fire and the Town of De Beque. Firefighters are continuing to secure this containment line today.

The evacuation order for the area east of I-70, west of 45 1/2 Road, and south of U Road remains in place. An evacuation center is set up at Palisade High School. For information about how to prepare for a possible evacuation, go to www.sheriff.mesacounty.us.

http://www.inciweb.org/incident/2951/
"It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by the dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worthy course; who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat." (Theodore Roosevelt)

"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit." (Edward Abbey)

Postby Magnum420 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:20 am

Very smokey in Summit County this morning. I can barely see the tunnel from Wilderness and it smells like smoke. Visability and air quality are pretty bad for the 10mile and Gore today. There also might be some smoke from the Eby Creek Fire NE of Eagle but I think that fire is under control.

Postby robby40 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:17 pm

news: "After charging across thousands of acres Thursday, the fire has displayed much less activity today, with the weather marked by calm winds. So far the fire has not crossed the Colorado River or Interstate 70, and crews are trying to keep it that way. Aircraft have been positioned so they can jump on any spot fires if they are detected east of the highway or river."

Postby Magnum420 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:25 pm

FYI - Air quality tonight in summit is much better than it was this morning. Winds must have changed.