Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Hotels, Motels, Camping etc - call first

Colorado wildfires and flooding

Hotels, Motels, Camping etc - call first

Postby Dex » Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:07 am

Radio reports are that fire refugees are going to the Leadville, BV, Salida for accommodations.
Montani Semper Liberi
"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." Barry Ritholtz

Re: Hotels, Motels, Camping etc - call first

Postby Palmyra J » Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:12 am

Oh yes...I am in Denver after driving in from the South. Hotel/motel rooms are at a premium, and providers are jacking up prices due to the refugees.

Don't go anywhere planning on picking up a cheap room on the fly.

Postby peter303 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:35 am

And some people are still evacuated to the north.
A major new fire Friday morning near Rifle. Has closed I-70 there.
There are some major conventions in Denver in the coming week using up much of the hotel space there.

Postby rijaca » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:30 am

peter303 wrote:And some people are still evacuated to the north.
A major new fire Friday morning near Rifle. Has closed I-70 there.
There are some major conventions in Denver in the coming week using up much of the hotel space there.

I70 is currently open.
"Spent a little time on the mountain
Spent a little time on the hill"

Postby hotrod » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:08 am

I-70 is one-lane open and they are closing all the gas wells in the area. The fire is growing and expected to jump I-70. Not a good situation.
Growing older is inevitable, but getting old is not.

Postby TravelingMatt » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:16 am

I recall there's a softball tournament this time of year which causes Denver to COMPLETELY sell out. As in, everything inside 470 that's not a complete fleabag or the Ritz-Carlton. I had a reservation a few years back where the hotel tried to walk me to a Motel 6. And nothing was on fire that year.
So pleas'd at first the towering Alps we try,
Mount o'er the vales, and seem to tread the sky,
Th' increasing prospects tire our wand'ring eyes,
Hills peep o'er hills, and Alps on Alps arise!
-- Alexander Pope

Postby rijaca » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:51 am

TravelingMatt wrote:I recall there's a softball tournament this time of year which causes Denver to COMPLETELY sell out. As in, everything inside 470 that's not a complete fleabag or the Ritz-Carlton. I had a reservation a few years back where the hotel tried to walk me to a Motel 6. And nothing was on fire that year.

Really? All 42,000 rooms in the metro area? Damn, that is a big softball tournament. :?
"Spent a little time on the mountain
Spent a little time on the hill"

Postby TravelingMatt » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:00 am

rijaca wrote:Really? All 42,000 rooms in the metro area? Damn, that is a big softball tournament. :?

Yes. My experience with this was late June/early July 2010; for all I know the thing moves around the country, but it seemed like something they have here every year, and it was big enough to be on the tv news. High school girls from mostly the Central and Mountain time zones. The only places that had rooms were the Ritz downtown and a few hotels in places like Park Meadows and Longmont. I ended up cashing in hotel points.
So pleas'd at first the towering Alps we try,
Mount o'er the vales, and seem to tread the sky,
Th' increasing prospects tire our wand'ring eyes,
Hills peep o'er hills, and Alps on Alps arise!
-- Alexander Pope

Postby ajkagy » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:10 am

i take it no one is going to canon city or Pueblo, or are those filled up already?
http://www.resortbeta.com - An interactive ski/snowboard experience for all your favorite ski resorts.

Postby Scott P » Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:55 pm

I know I don't live very close to many 14ers.com members, but if anyone is ever in need of a place to stay for any reason, we have a basement apartment of sorts. Always free for those who need it.
I'm slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.

Postby Vellum_and_Ink » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:04 am

rijaca wrote:
TravelingMatt wrote:I recall there's a softball tournament this time of year which causes Denver to COMPLETELY sell out. As in, everything inside 470 that's not a complete fleabag or the Ritz-Carlton. I had a reservation a few years back where the hotel tried to walk me to a Motel 6. And nothing was on fire that year.

Really? All 42,000 rooms in the metro area? Damn, that is a big softball tournament. :?

I was in Colorado Springs in early August '09 and we were lookin for a hotel room after a backpacking trip. Due to a basketball convention and some other sport we couldnt find a single room less than $800/night within 3 hours of Colorado Springs.

Postby 3rdwoozie » Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:04 pm

I was planning to camp at Twin Lakes next week for La Plata and others. Is the place packed due to refugees? Do I need to plan for another area and other peaks?
"The way a man does one thing, is how he does everything!" Zen proverb

Next