Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Wildfire 2012 crossroads

Colorado wildfires and flooding

Re: Wildfire 2012 crossroads

Postby Magnum420 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:12 pm

I see...it's just a weather pattern...or shift in winds during this time of year.

Thats pretty much the technical definition of monsoon.

From NOAA. Read more here... http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/fgz/science/monsoon.php?wfo=fgz This is in regards to AZ but its the same weather pattern.
The word "monsoon" is derived from the Arabic word "mausim" which means season. Ancient traders sailing in the Indian Ocean and adjoining Arabian Sea used it to describe a system of alternating winds which blow persistently from the northeast during the northern winter and from the opposite direction, the southwest, during the northern summer. Thus, the term monsoon actually refers solely to a seasonal wind shift, and not to precipitation.
By the way, the term "monsoons" as typically used in the phrase "when the monsoons arrive...", or "we had some monsoons move through town last night..." is wrong. There is no such thing as monsoons. The word should be used the same way that the word "summer" is used. Thus, the proper terminology is "monsoon thunderstorms" not "monsoons". Remember, the monsoon is just a seasonal shift in wind direction, the thunderstorms occur because of the moisture moving over the state from the south.
"I was high on life till I realized it was cut with idiots!" ---Anon---

Previous