Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Storm King Fire

Colorado wildfires and flooding

Storm King Fire

Postby Hobopoet » Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:16 pm

Just a reminder...18 years ago this weekend 14 professional fire fighters died on Storm King Mountain above I-70. The men and women fighting these fires are absolutely the best among us.

Re: Storm King Fire

Postby CO Native » Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:42 pm

"No one has greater love than this, that someone would lay down his life for his friends." John 15:13
Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com

Postby pkripper » Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:09 pm

Living in Carbondale at the time, I will never forget looking down valley and seeing that mushroom cloud when that fire blew up. Yet another reminder of the dangers our first responders face.

Postby Mel McKinney » Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:46 pm

Thanks to those hotshots and smoke jumpers who lost their lives. I believe the oldest individuals who died in the Storm King Fire were in their 30s. So young.

Of course, thanks also to those who've fought the wildfires this season. They've got to be physically and mentally exhausted.

"Fire on the Mountain," by John Maclean is an excellent read on the Storm King Fire. He does a great job of balancing the individual stories of the firefighters, along with the red tape and politics leading up to the fire and after it. The similarities to the Mann Gulch Fire in Montana in the 1940s are uncanny and tragic (which he discusses in the book).

I've wanted to hike Storm King for years and I need to make this the year to do it.
Mountains cast spells on me - Why, because of the way Earth-heaps lie, should I be Chocked by joy mysteriously; stilled or drunken-gay? Why should a brown hill trail Tug at my feet to go? Why should a boggy swale Tune my heart to a nameless tale Mountain marshes know?
--- Belle Turnbull ("Mountain-Mad")

"Nothing is so embarrassing as watching someone do something that you said couldn't be done."
---Sam Ewing

Postby Chicago Transplant » Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:13 pm

The memorial trail is very touching and sad. The interpretive signs are great and give a good overview of what its like to fight a wildland fire and what these firefighters went through with this particular blaze. The maintained trail goes about a mile and a half to an overlook, then a rough trail (intentionally left unmaintained and steep as a tribute to the challenging conditions the firefighters face) leads to the area where their are memorials at the sites where the firefighters lost their lives. The trees are draped in caps, t-shirts and other mementos from their brother and sister firefighters throughout the country and is especially touching.

Exit I-70 at Exit 109, Canyon Creek, and follow the north frontage road to its end and the parking area. The exist is about 5 miles west of Glenwood.
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day

Postby DaveLanders » Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:17 pm

There is also a memorial in one of the city parks in Glenwood. It has memorial plaques with brief bios
for each of the lost firefighters. It was a tragic waste of some amazing young lives.

Postby heide » Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:10 pm

The firefighter plaques are in Two Rivers Park in Glenwood Springs.

There is also interpretive signage on the Storm King trail itself, as mentioned previously.

Postby forbins_mtn » Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:17 pm

Chicago Transplant wrote:The memorial trail is very touching and sad. The interpretive signs are great and give a good overview of what its like to fight a wildland fire and what these firefighters went through with this particular blaze. The maintained trail goes about a mile and a half to an overlook, then a rough trail (intentionally left unmaintained and steep as a tribute to the challenging conditions the firefighters face) leads to the area where their are memorials at the sites where the firefighters lost their lives. The trees are draped in caps, t-shirts and other mementos from their brother and sister firefighters throughout the country and is especially touching.

Exit I-70 at Exit 109, Canyon Creek, and follow the north frontage road to its end and the parking area. The exist is about 5 miles west of Glenwood.

i've gotta do this hike. thank you for the details. i got rained out of the Needle this weekend, and maybe i can do this tomorrow morning.

Postby Hobopoet » Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:43 pm

Mel McKinney wrote:Thanks to those hotshots and smoke jumpers who lost their lives. I believe the oldest individuals who died in the Storm King Fire were in their 30s. So young.

Of course, thanks also to those who've fought the wildfires this season. They've got to be physically and mentally exhausted.

"Fire on the Mountain," by John Maclean is an excellent read on the Storm King Fire. He does a great job of balancing the individual stories of the firefighters, along with the red tape and politics leading up to the fire and after it. The similarities to the Mann Gulch Fire in Montana in the 1940s are uncanny and tragic (which he discusses in the book).

I've wanted to hike Storm King for years and I need to make this the year to do it.

John Maclean's father, Norman, wrote Young Men And Fire about the Mann Gulch blow up.

Postby DeepEnd » Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:31 pm

Rip brothers and sisters...they died doing what they loved.

Postby LupinMorningwake » Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:31 am

Something that everyone should do if up in the Glenwood area. A very moving trail.

Next