Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Flagstaff Fire Aftermath

Colorado wildfires and flooding

Flagstaff Fire Aftermath

Postby Kapelmuur » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:58 am

FYI for anyone else who regularly hikes/trains on the Boulder peaks, just saw this page on the OSMP site:

http://www.bouldercolorado.gov/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=16949&Itemid=4235

Summary: Bear Peak is open via Fern Canyon.

Shadow Canyon and Bear Peak's W. Ridge trails are closed pending further assessment/maintenance (effectively cutting off trail access to S. Boulder Peak).
Long Live the Fighters
Unremarkable feats of bike racing, mountain climbing and life in the nation's perfect suburb.

Re: Flagstaff Fire Aftermath

Postby GregMiller » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:03 pm

Thanks for posting that, I'd been wondering what would open when, and had been hoping to hike Bear Peak at some point. Hope it all regrows strong and fast, to get it all reopened!
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Looks like between 'em they done Tried to make me
Stop laughin', stop lovin', stop livin'-- But I don't care! I'm still here!
Langston Hughes

Postby thebeave7 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:05 pm

Ran up Fern canyon to the top of Bear Peak yesterday, and the trail is in its usual shape. There is a little burn on the upper couple hundred feet of the trail, some of the trees were charred others just singed and are still alive. From the summit you can see the damage on South Boulder peak and West Ridge of Bear, both of which were burned pretty bad. South Boulder peak is completely barren on the North side, very sad, and the West ridge of Bear is also burned badly, from the summit you can see the trail most of the way down amongst the burn.

Eric
Me fail English? That's unpossible. http://www.ericjlee.com/Blogs

Postby Deadshot » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:00 pm

Thanks for the post, I have been curious about that.
“There are as many answers to that one as there are reasons men hunt, fight, skydive, gamble or take up with redheaded ladies”

Peter Hathaway Capstick

Postby smoove » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:11 pm

farcedude wrote:Thanks for posting that, I'd been wondering what would open when, and had been hoping to hike Bear Peak at some point. Hope it all regrows strong and fast, to get it all reopened!

Yeah, Bear Peak via Fern Canyon has been open since at least mid-August. But I think most people assumed it was closed or didn't look at the sign closely enough. But it has made for a nice, sparsely populated trail!

Postby Rcizzle » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:53 pm

Watch out for tree fall hazards over the next couple years. Fires tend to be responsible for a lot of that.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Postby Alpineair » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:35 pm

http://www.dailycamera.com/news/boulder/ci_21727631/boulder-open-space-crews-rehabilitate-flagstaff-fire-lines
I find it curious that it has been reopened so quickly. The area of the Walker Ranch Fire is still closed, (since 2000), except for the trail. Must be the difference between city and county.
I'm not anti-social, I'm anti-stupid!

Postby Alpineair » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:14 am

Here is a photo taken two days ago. I'm surprised at what didn't burn.
Flagstaff Fire.jpg
Flagstaff Fire.jpg (300.24 KiB) Viewed 866 times

From Walker Ranch.
Flagstaff Fire (1).jpg
Flagstaff Fire (1).jpg (230.51 KiB) Viewed 866 times

Postby GregMiller » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:25 am

Alpineair wrote:Here is a photo taken two days ago. I'm surprised at what didn't burn.

Not being a fire expert, or knowing the orientation and wind patterns of the area, I'd guess the fire was burning on the face on the right, burned up to the ridge, then sparks carried to the next face burned, burned up to its ridgeline, etc. It is interesting that it didn't burn up in the direction of the photograph, more.
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Langston Hughes

Postby Alpineair » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:42 am

I believe just the opposite occurred. Lightning struck at the bottom of the left ridge and started moving up, then was blown over to the other ridge. Winds were blowing toward the E-SE for the most part. i am not an expert either, just amazed that some spots burn and others do not.
I'm not anti-social, I'm anti-stupid!

Postby GregMiller » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:59 am

I suppose that makes sense.
Still Here
Langston Hughes