Which hikes are appropriate for dogs?

Dogs, dogs and even some cats
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
KC Masterpiece
14ers: 38 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Which hikes are appropriate for dogs?

Post by KC Masterpiece »

My dog (5 year old Golden Retriever about 60lbs) has climbed Elbert, La Plata, Belford, Oxford, Lincoln, Democrat, Cameron, and Bross. He generally does not have a hard time with light scrambling but absolutely hates talus. Now that he understands what his booties are for he loves them and has no problem keeping them on for an entire day of hiking. I highly reccomend the ruffwear summit trex if you are looking for a pair.

I considered bringing him up Castle & Conundrum... I am pretty sure that he could make it up but there is a point where it is no longer a fun experience for him.

He carries his own pack usually loaded with his booties, his own first aid kit, water, and a few dog snacks.

Thankfully he is absolutely not interested in any form of wildlife so I never worry about him running off.
polar
14ers: 2 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by polar »

You guys/gals do realize that this thread is from 2008, right?
"Getting to the bottom, OPTIONAL. Getting to the top, MANDATORY!" - The Wisest Trail Sign
TallGrass
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TallGrass »

polar wrote:You guys/gals do realize that this thread is from 2008, right?
Well... So are many of their dogs! :P
"A few hours' mountain climbing make of a rogue and a saint two fairly equal creatures.
Tiredness is the shortest path to equality and fraternity - and sleep finally adds to them liberty."
KC Masterpiece
14ers: 38 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by KC Masterpiece »

polar wrote:You guys/gals do realize that this thread is from 2008, right?
Well now I do and feel like a moron....

Gotta check the date on that first post I guess. :lol: