Dogs on 14ers

Dogs, dogs and even some cats
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
COmthigh
14ers: 16 
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Dogs on 14ers

Post by COmthigh »

Caution, the pad hardeners may give her super feet. I tried the spray on our last hike for the first time and for some reason over half way up she went on at least a two hundred yard sprint down the mountain and then back up. Ironically, she stopped when she visited the dog we met in the parking lot. Wierd. Lesson learned: Leash your dog, especially on the way up. No problem with the feet though. Pictures are for you "The Vet, formally known as kgmo".
She loves the snow
She loves the snow
Bierstadt climb 014 - Copy.JPG (37.94 KiB) Viewed 12863 times
Brandi mostly grown up
Brandi mostly grown up
Bierstadt climb 010 - Copy.JPG (66.97 KiB) Viewed 12873 times
dpk
14ers: 17 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by dpk »

saw a bulldog on top of Grays - no lie. Guy claim it was a mix but it was short, wrinkly, cute and struggling to breath. Me thinks I have pix but Iphoto won't cooperate tonight so I can't find them.
dpk

The only easy day was yesterday USNS
mrkite1977
14ers: 18 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by mrkite1977 »

I have just returned from REI with the Ruff Wear Grip Trex boots. Pretty nice gear if I don't say so myself. We just went for a half-an-hour run around the neighborhood and so far... no complaints. They stay put, and do not move around on his feet. I did purchase the socks for an extra $9.00 which are not included. I think that was a smart addition, due to the feedback I have received about the poor fit of these doggie boots. We are going to Green Mountain Friday for a test-run, then on to Mt. Belford on Sunday. I will report back Sunday night or Monday with some feedback. I have taken my dog up 15 prior 14er summits without boots and never even had the slightest hint of trouble. Then, without warning, a few weeks ago we did Mt. Princeton and my dog suffered some serious paw wear on all 4 of his feet. Heed my warning, $60.00 boots are a way better investment than a $600.00 emergency vet bill, and your dog will appreciate it. I am happy to report he has healed nicely and we are looking forward to our 17th summit together this weekend.
kgmo
14ers: 46 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by kgmo »

--
Last edited by kgmo on Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Failure is never as frightening as regret.
kgmo
14ers: 46 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by kgmo »

COmthigh wrote:Caution, the pad hardeners may give her super feet. I tried the spray on our last hike for the first time and for some reason over half way up she went on at least a two hundred yard sprint down the mountain and then back up. Ironically, she stopped when she visited the dog we met in the parking lot. Wierd. Lesson learned: Leash your dog, especially on the way up. No problem with the feet though. Pictures are for you "The Vet, formally known as kgmo

Love the pics! Glad the Tuff Pad worked for her. She is definitely a happy dog, Trooper (my dog) would be jealous. :wink:
Failure is never as frightening as regret.
Missy_Goat
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Missy_Goat »

I'm planning on taking my two year old Great Dane (Copper) up his first 14ner this weekend. I was looking at Yale. Anyone know if this one is good for dogs... especially big clumsey ones :D
It is not the mountains we conquer, but ourselves - Edmund Hillary
mrkite1977
Trip Reports (1)

Post by mrkite1977 »

I would not recommend taking a Great Dane up any 14er due to their size and proportion. In addition, the final approach to the summit requires some scrambling/bouldering to reach the summit. My dog(Lab) who has a much lower center of gravity than a Great Dane had a difficult time on this portion of the hike.
Missy_Goat
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Missy_Goat »

Hmmm, Thanks for the quick reply. I will keep that in mind, I would appreciate any other input though... I've heard mixed thoughts from friends on and off the forum.
mrkite1977
Trip Reports (1)

Post by mrkite1977 »

Not the answer you were looking for eh? Well, my feelings about the Great Dane on the steep and arduous slopes of an 8-mile hike are only my opinion, I'm certainly no expert. However, my description of the final ascent to the summit of Mt. Yale is still vivid in my mind. My lab struggled over the boulders on that last stretch to the peak and I simply cannot imagine a lanky, and as you put it "clumsy" dog negotiating that part of the route with any ease.
ketel1
14ers: 28 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ketel1 »

mrkite1977 wrote:Not the answer you were looking for eh? Well, my feelings about the Great Dane on the steep and arduous slopes of an 8-mile hike are only my opinion, I'm certainly no expert. However, my description of the final ascent to the summit of Mt. Yale is still vivid in my mind. My lab struggled over the boulders on that last stretch to the peak and I simply cannot imagine a lanky, and as you put it "clumsy" dog negotiating that part of the route with any ease.
Wow! I am waiting for the vet to chime in but you cannot be serious about taking a dane up any 14er. Sorry-that is borderline cruelty. I completely agree with mrkite1977. What is the farthest your dog has ever walked in one continous time frame? Was there elevation gain? Can you pick your dog up and carry him down 4 miles when he cannot make it? I saw dogs up there that were doing well-a border collie mix, a lab mutt-all with low gravity centers. I suggest, as a test, you take your dog somewhere close to home and get it on some rocks/boulders and see what happens. It might not be pretty. Do your dog a favor-leave him home to sleep on your bed while you go play in the mountains. It's a win-win.
Beth
"So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable." ~Christopher Reeve
coloradokevin
14ers: 15 
Trip Reports (5)

Post by coloradokevin »

My dog is a German Shepherd/Akita mix.

She's done probably completed around six 14'er summits with me, plus a few 13'ers, and hasn't had any trouble. I don't take her on class 3+ climbs for a number of reasons. First, I don't want to put my dog in a situation where she may try to follow me up something beyond her ability, causing her to fall. Second, she varies in her desire to scramble depending on the mood she is in on any given day (somedays she'll practically solo a 5.9, other days she gives me the "why don't you just go ahead and lift me in the car?" look... but, she's always willing to hike a 14'er). Finally, I don't want to have to worry about my dog when I've got other things to worry about (like route finding, not falling myself, etc). And, in the unlikely and tragic event of a serious injury to my pooch, it isn't like carrying a 75lb dog out would be an easy task!

So, it is class 1 & 2 with the dog in tow.
Missy_Goat
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Missy_Goat »

Thanks for all the responses. Last time I checked Yale was a class 2, I know the last pitch would be hairy but I think he would be fine up to that point. Dogs fair very well with elevation gain, much better than people do. I will consider all of your warnings and advice, although in the future I could do without the sarcasm.

Don't mean to sound rude, but some people may take offense to some of the earlier comments....I know my dog, otherwise I wouldn't be asking.