Dogs on 14ers

Dogs, dogs and even some cats
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
lily
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Dogs on 14ers

Post by lily »

Our dog hates his Ruff Wear booties. He does not wear them on normal hikes. He'll plop down in the middle of the trail, give puppy-dog eyes at whomever passes by, and lick his booties... as if to say "I don't know what these big red things are doing on my paws. Can you please take them off for me?"

On Saturday, we took him on his first 14er. It was a short hike (Sherman), and he probably didn't need the shoes anyways, being just under 20 lbs and very agile. However, I decided to put them on at the summit for the descent. They did fly off a couple of times, even with the socks on. My husband cursed up a storm every time they came off; he thinks the booties are too much trouble, especially because our dog doesn't seem to need them. But they gave me some peace of mind. :D
ColoradoEd
14ers: 55 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ColoradoEd »

My lab mix did 30 14'ers with me before the dreaded cancer got her. She was absolutely fearless on the steep stuff. The only time she go tired, was at mile 23 on Pikes. Never had the chance to get her on any class 4 routes, but give the ease with which she climber Crestone Needle, I have no doubt she would have tagged these too.
Rockymtnhigh69
14ers: 31 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Rockymtnhigh69 »

Great photos of all the pups on the summits!! We have some awesome dogs!! \:D/ I really need to get Jeter some booties!

Inky... Your pooch did North Maroon?!?!?! That is unbelievably impressive. How did you get him through the Dihedral on the ascent and descent?
On my first take-off, I hit second gear and went through the speed limit on a two-lane blacktop highway full of ranch traffic. By the time I went up to third, I was going 75 and the tach was barely above 4000 rpm....
And that's when the Ducati got its second wind. From 4000 to 6000 in third will take you from 75 mph to 95 in two seconds - and after that, Bubba, you still have fourth, fifth, and sixth. Ho, ho.

~Hunter S. Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature

(VT)
Missy_Goat
14ers: 18 
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Missy_Goat »

I know I have seen a 13 year old Beagle run up Wheeler Peak faster than her 14 year old owner... dogs are much lighter than us so it doesn't take as much oxygen to keep them going, thats why they can handle altitudes better. I think young dogs have a less likely chance of quiting than a 10 year old.

Also, boots for your dog are a must for anyone even thinking of summiting a peak.. even if you don't use them it is better to be safe than sorry. I just needed some thoughts from people who have been up Yale... I know my dogs own abilities and I needed trip reports to check it against.

Thanks everyone!
It is not the mountains we conquer, but ourselves - Edmund Hillary
Inky6900
14ers: 57 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Inky6900 »

Rockymtnhigh69 asked: Inky... Your pooch did North Maroon?!?!?! That is unbelievably impressive. How did you get him through the Dihedral on the ascent and descent?
We did this (just he and I) around 4 years ago on a Monday. I remember there were some tricky spots up there. The ascent was easier by far than the descent. He lead the entire way and sniffed out the route. It made my job easier because I didn't have to worry about finding the route as well and at the time my skill level was far lower than it is now. We had climbed around 30 or so of the 14ers at that point. It was only our second class 4 climb at that time with Pyramid having been a few weeks earlier. Most of the day he was 50 to 100 feet ahead looking back at me with an expression of 'you amateur'. On the way up, there were maybe two or three spots he needed a boost from me if I recall correctly. For the most part he just jumped and climbed it on his own. When it was too steep, he waited and I boosted him by hand up to the next ledge. I'm still amazed by it and I was there to see it first hand. On the way down we took our time. I remember calling him back several times and we had to reclimb sections to find a safer way down. Strange as it sounds, there was a dead mountain goat right on the summit that day. It was really weird to see that. Sawyer and I were the only ones on the summit and we watched a climbing party of three doing the traverse from Maroon over towards us. When they got to the North Maroon summit, they said the only thing more strange than seeing a dead mountain goat up there was seeing a live Golden Retriever. They couldn't believe Soy made it either.
With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.
mrkite1977
Trip Reports (1)

Post by mrkite1977 »

Missy_Goat wrote,
Thanks for all the responses. Last time I checked Yale was a class 2
It sounds like you have your mind made up already despite the advice you were seeking telling you that it is not the best idea. I'm curious who your friends are "on and off the Forum". Do they have Great Danes? Do they have extensive experience hiking 14ers? I'm assuming you posted here because you were seeking advice of people who have this experience and to date, I have not seen a resounding endorsement from anybody... No sarcasm intended. I know you love your dog and are excited about sharing your love of hiking with him. However, I would like to hear from a vet on this one as well because in my mind, a Great Dane has no business on the slopes of a 14er. Just because Yale is listed as a Class 2, this does not mean "easy". There are varying degrees of class 2 and in Mt. Yale's case, even before the bouldering/scrambling on the final ascent, the trail portion before this section is very steep.
k9hiker
14ers: 35 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (2)

Post by k9hiker »

I've heard that claim, that dogs have ascended all the 14ers. I don't believe it, unless the dogs were either harnessed and pulled to the top, or were small enough to fit in one of those child-carrier-backpack-thingys.

I'm with spangle71 and coloradokevin in limiting the 14ers to class 1s and 2s. There are plenty of these 13ers and 14ers for you and your buddy to keep busy for many years. I once took Max on the Sawtooth between Evans and Bierstadt, which is rated by Roach as a Class 3. Max forgave me, but I never did THAT again. #-o There were several times after that I came back down a peak rather than put him through a questionable stretch.

Happy hiking,
Paul
(and Max (1990-2006))
COmthigh
14ers: 16 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by COmthigh »

Only the dog owners vet can predict the trauma enduced by climbs such as the 14ers. You all have some common sense and know dogs, just like people, react to exercise/physical strain differently. My suggestion is to ask your vet what is appropriate for your dog. For example: it seems that many retrievers have climbed 14ers, however many retrievers have hip displasia where climbing would be difficult. I'm not so familiar with the Danes or Beagles. My point is it can be dog specific on their abilities not breed specific. The answer to whether a Dane should be on Yale was answered with a No, based on climber experience and knowledge of the diffuculties your dog will encounter.
Missy_Goat
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Missy_Goat »

True, the top of Yale is very rocky. As for the trail being steep... it is, but any dog can handle that. I have experience on all types of class 2 peaks, and a class 3. I know what they are like and how they can vary.

As for my dog, I saw 5 dogs on Yale this weekend... both large and small. My oldest dog would have been fine, although despite most of what you people "assumed" about me and my intensions, I did not bring either of my dogs. Yale is a big step and I think with experience on easyier peaks it could be an obtainable challenge.

When my Dane does a 14ner, which he will in September, I will be sure to let you all know how he did. Again, I politly thank you all for your advice... unlike what a few people assumed, it was listened too, taken into serious consideration, and the best decision was made.

~Missy
kgmo
14ers: 46 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by kgmo »

COmthigh wrote:Only the dog owners vet can predict the trauma enduced by climbs such as the 14ers. You all have some common sense and know dogs, just like people, react to exercise/physical strain differently. My suggestion is to ask your vet what is appropriate for your dog. For example: it seems that many retrievers have climbed 14ers, however many retrievers have hip displasia where climbing would be difficult. I'm not so familiar with the Danes or Beagles. My point is it can be dog specific on their abilities not breed specific. The answer to whether a Dane should be on Yale was answered with a No, based on climber experience and knowledge of the diffuculties your dog will encounter.
I think this is my cue to chime back in. In theory, it would be a good idea for someone to talk to their veterinarian regarding hiking with their dog. The big thing is establishing a general clean bill of health, and getting a green light for strenuous exercise. The problem with asking your veterinarian about taking your dog up a 14er is that the average veterinarian has NO CLUE what is really involved with climbing a 14er. #-o I can say this because I am a veterinarian, went to school with 130 other people, and only 1 other person in my class had ever done a 14er. This was at Colorado State University. Different veterinarians have different specialties, and some know more about sports medicine & exercise physiology than others. You wouldn't ask your dermatologist to give you the okay to train for a marathon. :wink:

From a purely scientific standpoint there are many studies evaluating the effect of altitude on dogs, of course these are mostly done to serve as a model for humans. Unlike humans, dogs that are exercised at very high elevations for long periods of time (more than 6 months) do not produce more red blood cells to assist with oxygen circulation. They are susceptible to developing pulmonary hypertension, pulmonary edema, and cerebral edema. :( I will leave it at that.

Missy_Goat, I am glad you took the advice of many people on the forum. I hope when you take your Dane hiking in September that he enjoys it, and we would all love to see his first summit photo. Have fun & be safe!
Failure is never as frightening as regret.
Missy_Goat
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Missy_Goat »

Thanks kgmo, I agree with what you say about vets. Fortunatly for us our vet has climbed some 14ers himself.

We will have fun in September, and I know our dogs will as well. I will let you know how the trip goes then! I envy you for your profession, I would have been a vet myself but I found more of an interest in geology. I volunteered for a shelter for 9 years, everything you do for animals is deeply appreciated. Have fun this summer!
sleepy
Trip Reports (0)

Post by sleepy »

Hey, this is my first time on the site. I've read the above discussion about dogs and here's my question. Mt. Bierstadt seems like a relatively accessible 14er, and for us driving to Boulder, even more so. We are mid 40's, pretty athletic and have a blue heeler mix. We are coming from Texas and plan to spend a day or so acclimating to altitude before we tackle MB. Does anyone see any problems? We've (me, wife and dog) have hike up to 11,000 in New Mexico. Thanks for the great resource!