Dogs on 14ers

Dogs, dogs and even some cats
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
highpilgrim
14ers: 58 
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Dogs on 14ers

Post by highpilgrim »

I taught my dog to eat people firing guns...
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
MountainHiker
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 109
Trip Reports (7)

Post by MountainHiker »

I’ve taught my dog to eat people wearing cotton!
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert
vaughantimothy
14ers: 23 
Trip Reports (0)

Blanca and Ellingwood Point

Post by vaughantimothy »

I was thinking of doing Blanca and Ellingwood Point and I was wondering if a dog could make it up the two??? I'm trying to get my Lab to hike all the 14ers \:D/ .... He's done ten so far.....
metalmountain
14ers: 42  1  2 
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (1)

Post by metalmountain »

I love dogs, and love to see them out on the mountains. I think it is just up to the owners to understand not only their dog's abilities, but their own. If your dog gets hurt, are you able to carry them out? If your dog gets freaked out and won't move are you able to take care of the situation safely? I know MANY of the dog owners on here are perfectly capable of such things, and have taken this into account. Unfortunately not everyone does.

On the Sawtooth on Saturday I had to help get a terrified dog down off of the first big tower you encounter coming from Bierstadt. The owner managed to get the dog most of the way up it and then had to turn around. She couldn't get the dog down by herself, and we happened to come up the her at the time she decided to turn around. So it came down to me and my girlfriend and this owner, who stated she was not a climber, to get this dog down about 20 feet or so to a place we felt the dog could get down from. Anyone that has been on this point knows that it can easily move from class 3 to class 4 quickly, and of course the dog is wedged under some rocks, basically shaking and panting, in a sketchy and steep/no fall type area. Long story short I had to put myself, and to an extent my girlfriend did as well, in a bad and risky situation to try and help, because the woman was unable to get the dog down and I couldn't in good conscience just leave her there with the dog and no help. The dog completely refused to budge, and the owner was at a loss as to what to do. I wasn't confident in just grabbing his scruff and pulling due to his size (30lbs +/-) and the potential that I would fall if the dog freaked out. So I had literally squeeze behind him and gently nudge him forward to a small outcropping. So please, if you do want to take your dog up the mountains (which I am generally perfectly fine with), just make sure you understand the limitations of yourself and your companion. Because situations like this not only put yourself at risk, but those on the mountain with you.
"I found that nothing truly matters, that you cannot find for free." - The Gaslight Anthem
gearhunter
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Blanca and Ellingwood Point

Post by gearhunter »

vaughantimothy wrote:I was thinking of doing Blanca and Ellingwood Point and I was wondering if a dog could make it up the two??? I'm trying to get my Lab to hike all the 14ers \:D/ .... He's done ten so far.....
I wonder what would happen if he couldn't' make it up and fell to his death ???? The dog doesn't care or understand your aspirations for him nor does he understand the danger. But he certainly will understand the fear of falling off the side of a mountain on an exposed ridge and will definitely feel the pain from doing so. Your dog would be just as happy hiking on a flat trail in the woods.
caseygries
Trip Reports (0)

Post by caseygries »

vaughantimothy wrote:I was thinking of doing Blanca and Ellingwood Point and I was wondering if a dog could make it up the two??? I'm trying to get my Lab to hike all the 14ers \:D/ .... He's done ten so far.....
Sorry, I wish I could help you with this one, but this may not be the most wise topic to post under for this type of question....
Missy_Goat
14ers: 18 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Missy_Goat »

caseygries wrote:
Sorry, I wish I could help you with this one, but this may not be the most wise topic to post under for this type of question....

I strongly believe people should be able to ask such questions on this topic. Most people asking about this care about their dogs and want to keep them safe. Asking someone who has experience climbing a peak you have not is the best way to gain knowledge so that you can make educated decisions about the climbing ability of your dog. It's an effort to keep dogs safe. I know dogs on 14ers is a very touchy subject, I just really wish people would look at it from a safety perspective.

Vaughantimothy, I'm very happy to know you are looking out for your dogs health and safety :D
It is not the mountains we conquer, but ourselves - Edmund Hillary
caseygries
Trip Reports (0)

Post by caseygries »

Missy_Goat wrote:
caseygries wrote:

I strongly believe people should be able to ask such questions on this topic. Most people asking about this care about their dogs and want to keep them safe. Asking someone who has experience climbing a peak you have not is the best way to gain knowledge so that you can make educated decisions about the climbing ability of your dog. It's an effort to keep dogs safe. I know dogs on 14ers is a very touchy subject, I just really wish people would look at it from a safety perspective.
You're absolutely right that people should be asking these types of questions. I'm just saying that this specific thread has drawn the attentions of both pro- and anti-dogs-on-14ers responses. My suggestion was for vaughantimothy to possibly start a new thread, or post somewhere else on the forum more conducive to getting answers about hiking with dogs - so as to draw only the pro-dogs-on-14ers responses. I was responding to the fact that the 2 immediate response to vaughantimothy's questions gave no insight on whether to bring her pup on Blanca and Ellingwood. I totally appreciate metalmountain's and gearhunter's point of view; their opinions can help a lot of people, but their response didn't answer any question originally mentioned by vaughantimothy. Which is why I apologized for being unable to help at all and suggested posting somewhere else for answers.

I should mention that you won't see me hiking without my Australian Shepherd, all things considered, so I am definitely in the pro camp.
Missy_Goat
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Missy_Goat »

As am I :D I've also had inquiries of my own bashed pretty good a couple times on this thread. When able, I'm always with my dogs in the mountains. Unfortunately, I do love a breed that forces me to be VERY particular about which peaks I can climb with them. Having been up Blanca, I know its out for my Copper dog! I did offer some advice, via PM. I have also discovered the best way to gain appropriate knowledge about peaks is to just PM people who have climbed the peaks, and avoid potential turmoil. Everyone has their own, and sometimes VERY strong opinion!

I love seeing well behaved dogs on mountains.... I just with the whole world did too! One can hope :)
kushrocks
14ers: 58  25 
13ers: 65 2
Trip Reports (5)

Post by kushrocks »

Missy_Goat wrote:As am I :D I've also had inquiries of my own bashed pretty good a couple times on this thread. When able, I'm always with my dogs in the mountains. Unfortunately, I do love a breed that forces me to be VERY particular about which peaks I can climb with them. Having been up Blanca, I know its out for my Copper dog! I did offer some advice, via PM. I have also discovered the best way to gain appropriate knowledge about peaks is to just PM people who have climbed the peaks, and avoid potential turmoil. Everyone has their own, and sometimes VERY strong opinion!

I love seeing well behaved dogs on mountains.... I just with the whole world did too! One can hope :)
Totally Agreed!!! My dog is pretty bad ass in the mountains and extremely well behaved. Its just too bad more people dont take time to actually "train" their dogs. Mine can hang on class 3 but for her safety and mine I wont take her on anything harder than that. Glad to see there are people on here who enjoy spending time in the moutains with their dogs as much as I do. =D>
“The best climber in the world is the one who is having all the fun.” – Alex Lowe
" Don’t be afraid to move out of your comfort zone. Some of your best life experiences and opportunities will transpire only after you dare to loose."
Missy_Goat
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Missy_Goat »

Ditto! Both of ours are trained to hike on the trail in between my husband and I. As for their ability....class 1s are a go, and some class 2s but we have to be very careful....they dont mix well with boulders! Good excuse to tackle all the easy ones though!
mt_turtle
14ers: 40 
Trip Reports (17)

Post by mt_turtle »

http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=10211

I have to throw in our dog’s recent trip report. I think their opinions count as well.
Psalms 65:5-6 By awesome deeds You answer us in righteousness, O God of our salvation, You who are the trust of all the ends of the earth and of the farthest sea; Who establishes the mountains by His strength, Being girded with might;