Dogs on Mt. Belford/Oxford?

Dogs, dogs and even some cats
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Frontrangeskier
14ers: 54  8  1 
13ers: 83 16
Trip Reports (5)

Dogs on Mt. Belford/Oxford?

Post by Frontrangeskier »

Hey gang. What are the restrictions for dogs on Belford/Oxford? How are the stream crossings up there this year?
Catchy saying from someone famous.
larkinrx2
14ers: 35 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Dogs on Mt. Belford/Oxford?

Post by larkinrx2 »

The last updates still put the streams high since still melting out. As for the dogs standard restrictions apply (leash, ducktape muzzle if it barks the whole time)

TR with good pics of the streams
http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepor ... ki=Include" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - That's all I need the ashtray, the remote control, the paddle game, and this magazine, and the chair and I don't need one other thing, except my dog.
[Shithead growls at him]
I don't need my dog.
EM_in_CO
14ers: 51 
13ers: 55
Trip Reports (0)

Post by EM_in_CO »

My Blue Heeler had no issues hiking Mt. Belford on June 26th. The route from Missouri Gulch was clear of snow even back then.
Aug_Dog
14ers: 31 
13ers: 16
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Aug_Dog »

Your dog SUCKS! LEAVE IT AT HOME! IT'S A NUISANCE TO US THAT HAVE PURCHASED SWEET GEAR AND ARE SERIOUS ABOUT HIKING!

(kidding)
Go get it
randalmartin
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 48 2
Trip Reports (13)

Post by randalmartin »

Taillon75 wrote:Hey gang. What are the restrictions for dogs on Belford/Oxford?
Belford/Oxford is in a Wilderness Area. All Wilderness Areas have the same restriction that dogs are supposed to be leashed.
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

As of Monday, I was able to make all of the stream crossings in trailrunners, but my socks did get a little wet. None of the tough crossings were on the Belford trail, all were on the right fork that goes toward Missouri and Elkhead Pass. There were two log crossings lower down, which your dog may or may not like.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
LetsGoHigher
14ers: 4 
Trip Reports (4)

Post by LetsGoHigher »

Aug_Dog wrote:Your dog SUCKS! LEAVE IT AT HOME! IT'S A NUISANCE TO US THAT HAVE PURCHASED SWEET GEAR AND ARE SERIOUS ABOUT HIKING!

(kidding)
This isn't very funny. I hike with two dogs that are well-behaved. They do not bark. In places that are appropriate, we let them off leash when no one else is around. Even though they do not approach other people generally, we leash them when we pass other people, just for good measure. I know there are people out there with ill-mannered dogs but the misconception that all dogs are rude and annoying on 14ers is not fair to those of us who have worked hard with our animals to make sure that we can enjoy them in nature without disturbing others.

I will now get off my soapbox.
Is that the summit?
Doctor No
14ers: 35  1 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (13)

Post by Doctor No »

It was clearly a joke based upon the long-running "dogs" thread on this site. If you read that thread, perhaps the joke will make more sense.
SkiBikeClimb99
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkiBikeClimb99 »

Actually it is hilarious
marie123
14ers: 51  2 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by marie123 »

haha, he actually pulled in two different references there - the dog one, and the gear one
SkiBikeClimb99
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkiBikeClimb99 »

Missed guns though
mountain_man
14ers: 38  1 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mountain_man »

LetsGoHigher wrote:This isn't very funny. I hike with two dogs that are well-behaved. They do not bark. In places that are appropriate, we let them off leash when no one else is around. Even though they do not approach other people generally, we leash them when we pass other people, just for good measure. I know there are people out there with ill-mannered dogs but the misconception that all dogs are rude and annoying on 14ers is not fair to those of us who have worked hard with our animals to make sure that we can enjoy them in nature without disturbing others.

I will now get off my soapbox.
I was always under the impression that leashes are required to protect wild life, and not anything necessarily regarding other hiker's preferences.

The only reason I don't like seeing dogs on trails is because they make me feel so much more out of shape than I already do.

The references were great.
"To live and not to breathe is to die in tragedy." - Billie Joe Armstrong
"What I know I could put into a pack as if it were bread and cheese, and carry it on one shoulder, important and honorable, but so small! While everything else continues, unexplained, and unexplainable." - Mary Oliver