Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Dog Ranking System

Dogs, dogs and even some cats
Forum rules
Let's try to keep the topics related to mountaineering, please.

Dog Ranking System

Postby swegner14 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:32 pm

I'm fairly new to 14ers.com, and I enjoy climbing 14ers with my dogs. Yet I recently just took them up Mt. Lindsey, and it was definitely difficult for them. They couldn't make it, and some of my hiking party had to stay with them while we took turns going to the summit.
I am suggesting that there should be a ranking system on each mountain for if dogs would be able to make the summit, or if it would just be a hassle to take them at all.

Re: Dog Ranking System

Postby jdorje » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:41 pm

"It's Class 3."

"But what is that in Dog Class?"
-Jason Dorje Short

Postby swegner14 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:45 pm

Yes, rankings like that are sort of helpful, but I am thinking a specific class for dogs on whether they would be able to do that. And I'm not sure what Class 3 would be in Dog class...

Postby HikerGuy » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:55 pm

I think the large range of dog breeds and their individual personalities/abilities would make it difficult to come up with a ranking system. Dogs have made it up Capitol Peak, but they are a rare breed. As a general rule, most dogs do not have a problem with hikes up to Class 2. You may begin to encounter issues with Difficult Class 2 hikes, at which Lindsey is ranked.

I would say that most dogs (not all) would have issues on the Difficult and Most Difficult peaks on this list, http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/usrpeaksrall.php. Most dogs are less likely to have issues on the Moderate peaks with the Difficult Class 2 peaks being the exceptions (Blanca Peak, Mt. Sneffels, Castle Peak, Ellingwood Point, Challenger Point, Windom Peak.)

Postby nancyb » Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:55 pm

Lakota has done many mountains, and while I would not consider anything harder than class 2, you may also consider if your dog is a breed that will be tearing thru the talus after picas and marmots. The amount of rock on the trail is also an issue in the amount of damage to their feet. Foot friendly trails are much nicer for them...

Postby peter303 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:52 am

You need to know your dog and gradually train it.
There are stories of dogs making to nearly every 14ers, including class 4s.

Postby wypatt » Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:05 am

Just multiply the ranking by 7, so a class 2 is a class 14 in dog ranking. It's that easy... :lol:

Postby henryca8 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:15 pm

I like this thread. My dog has done around 24 14ers and never had a problem. We did Mt. Princeton a few weeks ago...her pads were absolutely shredded when we got to the peak. I had to ask a stranger for help carrying her (55 lbs) down the 3 miles to our car, 2 of which is talus, as she was leaving blood on rocks and not willing to walk. Mt. Princeton, in my opinion, has too much talus unless the dog is wearing booties.

Postby Jesse M » Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:44 pm

Cool thread, but a lot of variables to deal with. What if we start with the easiest? What would be the easiest 3-5 14ers for dogs, maybe a list can grow from this?

Postby DeucesWild » Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:11 pm

What is really needed is to bring a pack of varying sized dogs to attempt a certain route. Each dog will have a gopro camera attached to its head. The video beta, "this is what Crestone Needle looks like to a Pomeranian", would be much more valuable than any rating system.
Snowflakes, Uber Alles!

www.deuceIRA.com. Put the Douche in your FiDeuceiary needs today!!

Postby HikerGuy » Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:38 pm

1 Paw - walk up, a cat could do it
2 Paw - walk up, may be rocky or have some talus
3 Paw - jumping may be required, rocky and/or very lengthy
4 Paw - may require owner's assistance, additional hazards like loose rock exist
5 Paw - requires owner's assistance for moves
Not Allowed - National Park Service or privately owned

Postby doggler » Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:00 pm

DeucesWild wrote:What is really needed is to bring a pack of varying sized dogs to attempt a certain route. Each dog will have a gopro camera attached to its head. The video beta, "this is what Crestone Needle looks like to a Pomeranian", would be much more valuable than any rating system.

2 hours of the d#@$ husky's ass.

Next