Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Dog Ranking System

Dogs, dogs and even some cats
Forum rules
Let's try to keep the topics related to mountaineering, please.

Re: Dog Ranking System

Postby doggler » Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:02 pm

MntOwl wrote:Cool thread, but a lot of variables to deal with. What if we start with the easiest? What would be the easiest 3-5 14ers for dogs, maybe a list can grow from this?

In all seriousness, I don't know if there is much difference between this list and any one constructed for canines.

Postby Scuba Steve » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:21 pm

Access to water is another variable that I think makes a difference for both the hiker carrying extra water and your pups overall enjoyment on the trail.

And +1 on Princeton not being very dog-friendly.

Postby Dex » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:43 pm

swegner14 wrote:I'm fairly new to 14ers.com, and I enjoy climbing 14ers with my dogs. Yet I recently just took them up Mt. Lindsey, and it was definitely difficult for them. They couldn't make it, and some of my hiking party had to stay with them while we took turns going to the summit.
I am suggesting that there should be a ranking system on each mountain for if dogs would be able to make the summit, or if it would just be a hassle to take them at all.

The question is: Why couldn't your dogs make it?

Did you have booties on their feet?
Montani Semper Liberi
"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." Barry Ritholtz

Postby pills2619 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:00 pm

It all depends on the dog. My black lab duke can jump up a 5 foot ledge and back down no problem so hes more capable than most but if he gets cliffed out I have to carry his fat 75lbs ass over whatever he was stuck on which creates another problem in itself. Also at a point he just doesnt enjoy himself because of exposure but he will sure ass hell follow me, so should I bring him when he's not gonna have fun and I'm just gonna risk loosing my best bud cause I thought it would be cool to say he climbed capitol...
They forget that some crisis is necessary to hone skill. "Near misses," those brief encounters with the reality of mortality, are great learning tools if properly approached. -Denali Climbers Guidebook

Postby Monte Meals » Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:29 pm

I think that each and every Chihuahua should have year round free access to Culebra -

- due to their Mexican Heritage.

Provided that video proof of success - uno or deuce on the summit - is submitted.

Postby cheeseburglar » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:23 pm

doggler wrote:
MntOwl wrote:Cool thread, but a lot of variables to deal with. What if we start with the easiest? What would be the easiest 3-5 14ers for dogs, maybe a list can grow from this?

In all seriousness, I don't know if there is much difference between this list and any one constructed for canines.

Yes, my dogs have climbed class 4 peaks that aren't 14ers, but didn't summit Snowmass because of the 20 people occupying the 40 square foot summit. Not having a bunch of people makes class 3 much more reasonable to take a dog on. And possible but still sort of risky to take a dog on Class 4 if you know there is no one else around.
Which makes pretty much all 13ers much better to take a dog on than any 14er...
The marmot said “Nobody is perfect and you are not nobody.”

Random FoTH Quotes

Postby wolfshadoww » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:33 am

HikerGuy wrote:1 Paw - walk up, a cat could do it

But WOULD a cat do it?

We've been keeping our dogs on the class 2 and we won't dare take them on anything more than that (I'm sure not going to be able to pack a 90 pound lab down or up and over something!) We have invested in the booties for our dogs, which definitely helps with paw shredding. They are also popular for pictures and comments on the trail. :)
“The mountains are calling and I must go.”
― John Muir

“It's a tough lesson: There is no summit that comes before you expect it.”
― Mark Obmascik

"Climbing is as close as we can come to flying."
-- Margaret Young

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:46 am

cheeseburglar wrote:
doggler wrote:

Yes, my dogs have climbed class 4 peaks that aren't 14ers, but didn't summit Snowmass because of the 20 people occupying the 40 square foot summit. Not having a bunch of people makes class 3 much more reasonable to take a dog on. And possible but still sort of risky to take a dog on Class 4 if you know there is no one else around.
Which makes pretty much all 13ers much better to take a dog on than any 14er...

Without getting into the "there is really no 4th class on any 14er standard route" whole argument, Micah took Baz up the four Chicago Basin 14ers and he did fine. So it depends on the dog. We also saw very few people that day. It was early to mid September 2010. See the TR for more details.

I have known guys with dogs that could do fifth class. No kidding. Up to like 5.6 or 5.7. Mostly small breeds, like a Jack Russel. They pretty much just attack the hard parts by running up them. There was one guy who used to bring his dog to the climbing gym and he'd hit some of the boulder problems on the ramp-like lower angle stuff. It was a hoot!

So give those canines half a chance!

Postby sue personett » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:38 am

I must admit that I learned my lesson last summer and will not take my dog Jack on anything over class 2. He's tough and can figure out ways around obstacles but he does not do steep snow ( even though he loves snow ). He's been on one 14er with me ( I finished the 14ers before he started hiking with me.), about 30 Centennial Peaks, and many Colorado county high points. He's a great hiking companion but I won't put him into a stressful situation like the one that he went through last summer. I now carefully research my hikes to make sure they are easy enough for him. I realize that every dog is different so it's up to the owner to " Know thy dog. " I think I know mine now. Have fun out there!
Namaste
Sue

Postby moxie » Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:11 pm

Back in the early 70's I met a dog named 'Tho' who was owned by an Olympic ski team member who had been in the Vietnam War and adopted him after he had a paw blown off by a bomb. What a dog. I met them hiking enroute from the train stop to the Chicago Basin group, which Tho and Mike had just climbed, and heard some of his story and was forever impressed with meeting the most amazing 14nr dog of all time. Years later there was a huge article in the Denver Post about this three legged dog's exploits in Vietnam and climbing so many of the 14nrs of Colorado. If I can find a link to that article, I'll post it.

Postby MountainHiker » Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:03 pm

wolfshadoww wrote:
HikerGuy wrote:1 Paw - walk up, a cat could do it

But WOULD a cat do it?

Maybe if you drag a string for them to chase!
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert

Postby Gueza » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:04 pm

Dancesatmoonrise wrote: "there is really no 4th class on any 14er standard route" whole argument

How dare you Jim!

P.S Aren't you suppose to be deep in the Weminuche right now?

Speaking of dogs I've seen some pass out from exhaustion or altitude and others, such as Gladbach's pooch, bust out some spicy moves high in the alpine. It all depends on what your individual dog can do. You just got to find out what your pooch's comfort zone is without endangering it or anybody else.
Look at every setback, failure, and time you feel down in your life as a temporary, fixable condition. That is how you never give up and keep moving onwards.

"Never Stop" - AJS

"Be kind, Take care of yourself, and Work Hard" -Steve Gladbach

https://www.youtube.com/user/14erskier

PreviousNext