Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Dog Ranking System

Dogs, dogs and even some cats
Forum rules
Let's try to keep the topics related to mountaineering, please.

Re: Dog Ranking System

Postby bailey » Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:18 pm

I love the idea of a dog ranking system or discussion. I'm between climbs right now and debating where to go based on my dog...looking at Uncompaghre, Yale or Humboldt. We did San Luis yesterday/today and are resting in CB. Suggestions? She's done 18, but is 10 now...

Postby HikerGuy » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:53 pm

bailey wrote:I love the idea of a dog ranking system or discussion. I'm between climbs right now and debating where to go based on my dog...looking at Uncompaghre, Yale or Humboldt. We did San Luis yesterday/today and are resting in CB. Suggestions? She's done 18, but is 10 now...

Easiest for the dog, might be Yale. But Uncompahgre is the nicest peak of the three and not much more difficult. If you have 4wd, the vertical is quite a bit less. Check the weather and hit the one with the best forecast.

Postby bailey » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:06 pm

Thanks! Narrowed it down to Uncompahgre or La Plata (SW route)... Going to check the weather!

Postby MtHurd » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:15 pm

HikerGuy wrote:
bailey wrote:Easiest for the dog, might be Yale. But Uncompahgre is the nicest peak of the three and not much more difficult. If you have 4wd, the vertical is quite a bit less. Check the weather and hit the one with the best forecast.

Negative, I had to pick up a big lab in places on the 2nd class stuff on Yale. Not a big deal though, it shouldn't discourage you from taking a dog.

Postby Bill Cummings » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:53 pm

I saw a lab put on the brakes at the ridge on Yale and started barking--very agitated--as his owner started to go ahead. Of course, the owner turned around for the dog, but I think it was the end of the climb for both dog & owner.
Bill "Blind Willie" Cummings

"God loves you just the way you are. But He loves you way too much to let you stay that way." --"Junebug"
"You can't argue with the truth when it comes up and bites you on the buttocks." --Peter Lang

Postby mountainmicah83 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:54 pm

[quote="DancesatmoonriseMicah took Baz up the four Chicago Basin 14ers and he did fine. So it depends on the dog. We also saw very few people that day. It was early to mid September 2010. See the TR for more details.[/quote]

That sure was a fun 30 some odd hours.
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent." -- Calvin Coolidge

Visit my blog at: http://mountainmicah.blogspot.com

Postby CaptPenner » Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:39 pm

How does my off leash dog carrying my gun in his doggie pack factor into the dog ranking system?

Postby jdorje » Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:45 pm

On leash or off leash does not change the dog class rating. Of course the higher classes are harder with a heavy pack.

There's also the dog exposure rating. Above a certain level of dog exposure you may want to use a leash. Naturally the exposure rating is completely independent of the class rating.
-Jason Dorje Short

Postby IanG » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:34 pm

If I was to make rules for dogs on 14ers it would be 2 simple ones:

1. You should be able to carry out a dog if you're allowing them up and that means the entire hike.

2. The dog should have booties. We don't hike barefoot, neither should them.

Postby cheeseburglar » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:45 pm

Taking a dog up a mountain is just like going with any other partner. They may be all fired up and appear ready to go, but if they haven't trained and are coming straight off the couch, you might get them and you in trouble.
I'm not taking the old dog on any more outings more than 1,800 vert. Unless there is snow. That rule might bend. But the younger dog is coming tomorrow. I bring one bootie in case there is a boo boo. They haven't needed booties yet.
The marmot said “Nobody is perfect and you are not nobody.”

Random FoTH Quotes

Postby d_baker » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:47 pm

IanG wrote:We don't hike barefoot, neither should them.

You should read this report.

Postby rocky » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:56 pm

While our dog has been trained to say, "I want one" when it's time for her "cookies", I just can't teach her to yell "ROCK" when she kicks one loose.
rocky
south fork, colorado

PreviousNext