Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Dog Ranking System

Dogs, dogs and even some cats
Forum rules
Let's try to keep the topics related to mountaineering, please.

Re: Dog Ranking System

Postby NMmobileK9CatDrG » Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:49 pm

Completed our 19th 14er this weekend. Our dogs have completed 5 Class II 14ers with never an injury or a regret on our part for taking them. We made a wise decision in NOT taking them up Princeton on Saturday. Despite it being the best weather day we have ever seen on a Colorado hike, Princeton presented too many opportunities for injury because of the extreme amount of talus. We did see other canines make the route successfully including those two gorgeous German Sheps. Still for us, hauling an injured dog down Princeton, even by the standard route would have been more than we could have handled. Happy with our decision :-D

Postby cheeseburglar » Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:31 pm

So if we are talking ranking like a rock climb rating system, the dog making the first climb would make (or indicate by body language, because they can't talk or write) the ranking.
My dogs ranked Castle Peak three T-bones. That is the number of treats I'm supposed to give them after the effort. This is from the lower start, I don't drive to the upper trailhead at Castle. My dogs and I have done that with and without snow.
Elbert is 2 T bones.
The toughest mountain my dogs have done is Peak C in the Gore Range. 4 T bones. And we had great conditions. A little sketchy on some icy snow during the coulior climb, some serious tale between the legs. I had crampons on and an ice axe. The class 4 ridge was no problem to climb up. Fortunately, we descended the snowfield. That descent was easy for the dogs, much easier than down climbing class 4 with 2 dogs.
Of course, they use no aid like ropes or booties.
My real question with this ranking system is if a dog is willing to do more if there are more marmots to chase does it change the ranking? If you go up Pyramid, you might not see any marmots. If you go to Capital, you are guaranteed to see marmots. But on Pyramid, you will see goats. But not at Capital.
My dogs consider Sopris (a lowly 12er), which is about 4500 vertical, a 1 T bone just because of the guarantee of getting some good marmot chasing in.
Seems like any ranking system will depend on the dog.
Dogs need to be trained. They probably won't spend 3 or 4 hours running up the stairs in your house each day to get a workout, unless you train them to do that. Let me know if you figure out how to train them to run without me.
The marmot said “Nobody is perfect and you are not nobody.”

Random FoTH Quotes

Postby Jesse M » Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:54 pm

Cheese, I have just started running my husky pup, 9 months old, while I ride a longboard. It does take a bit of work on my part, but he seems to love it and I can't complain, much easier than pushing myself. I have not seen him so excited as when I pull out the harness.

Postby cheeseburglar » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:38 pm

The huskies don't take much training to pull, it seems to be instinct.
Pulling when you want them to and not after marmots is a different story, can't help you with that.
Kya and I went on what might have been her 14er retirement hike, here we are with our hike jouring setup.
They sell something like this, but fancier, off the shelf at REI. Kya and Kussum both did the Sawtooth on saturday. No problem for a properly trained mountain dog.
Attachments
hike jour.jpg
hike jour.jpg (125.74 KiB) Viewed 467 times
The marmot said “Nobody is perfect and you are not nobody.”

Random FoTH Quotes

Postby colbyde » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:51 am

I again agree it depends on the dog. I have two pups and one is much more capable than the other for two reasons. Shes much more agile and also has a deeper trust in me so I can get her through tough sections. My male thinks he knows everything and would be the first to charge a steep line and take a tumble. Heres a shot of Sierra coming down the back of Missouri Mountain on a day we did Missouri, Oxford and Belford
Sierramiso.jpg
Sierramiso.jpg (107.5 KiB) Viewed 420 times

Postby semitrueskerm » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:24 am

Speaking of the loyalty of dogs, here's a pick-me-up for this morning:

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/dog_paradox

Postby SKIBREC » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:08 am

Mike & Gail

There's no such thing as bad weather... just the wrong gear

Postby Duffus Kentucky Climber » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:34 am

"We don't need to climb no stinkin' fourteeners, Daddy!" "We prefer birds."
It looks like the ridge is just right up there!

Previous