Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Dog Found (and saved): Mt. Bierstadt!

Dogs, dogs and even some cats
Forum rules
Let's try to keep the topics related to mountaineering, please.

Re: Dog Found: Mt. Bierstadt!

Postby tmathews » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:38 pm

Just a helpful hint for those of you getting tired of the notifications for replies to this thread -- if you don't want to receive the email notifications, simply click "Unsubscribe topic" at the very bottom left-hand side of this page (if you reply again, you'll be re-subscribed, though). Carry on! :mrgreen:

Postby Justin9 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:39 pm

After scanning much of this thread, I have several questions. Forgive me if these have already been asked or answered.

1. Who currently is in possession of Missy?
2. Is the person, or group of people who took Missy to the vet financially capable of paying her vet bills? - If not, I would be happy to pay a portion since I did not actively participate in the rescue.
3. Has the person who is in possession of Missy spoken with her owner? If so, how about an update.

Thank you to all who put your lives in danger to save an animal that desperatley needed your assistance. You should be thought of as heros and you each set a fine example of what a community really is. =D>

As for what should be done with Missy, it is my opinion that she should not be returned to her original owner. I do understand both sides - that is where the dog would go because she is loyal like all dogs are - or - her owner neglected her and does not deserve a second opportunity to prove himself.

Additionally, I understand having to go out of town for work - I own a small business. If one of my employees was ever in a similar situation, I believe I would rather help than deny time off to seach for a dying family member. It I did deny the time off, I hope that person would tell me to jump in the lake and immediatley go searching for the dog using every resource available.

Thank you again to all who helped in this incident.

Postby Floyd » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:41 pm

aortolani14 wrote:
nfire wrote:my first 14er after moving to colorado was bierstadt. i climbed it with my dog. there was a guy up there who told me "dont worry man, there's nothing on the traverse that a dog couldn't handle!". I sure am glad in my gaperdom that i didn't listen to that guy. glad missy was saved and huge thanks to the rescuers.

I did a web search on crossing the sawtooth with my Dog before we ever left the house. I don't know if it was this site, or some other site, but it said very close to this, "People take their dogs through there all of the time. You have to have a harness of some kind and some ropes to help them with one or two manuevers but other than that careful path selection is all that is needed." This was so wrong. I can't say how much I wish I never took her down there. All of this would never have happened. Missy did the decent on Bross' talus slope and I thought that this was going to be similar. No one should ever take a dog through that saddle unless they can easily carry them. I was so unprepared for this whole ordeal.

I just googled "dog sawtooth evans beirstadt" and this is what I found: (excluding anything from this site since you weren't aware of it to ask questions beforehand or post a help thread until after she was found) And I didn't cherry pick these results, it is what it is.

http://www.everytrail.com/guide/mt-bierstadt-to-mt-evans-via-saw-tooth
The hike up Bierstadt itself is faily easy and we even ran into people with their dogs. However, the crossing of the saw tooth will take you on a very intense class 3 scramble and is not dog or little child friendly. In fact, its not friendly for anyone who is not in shape or not able to take on a class 3 scramble.

http://donlyman.blogspot.com/2007/07/bierstadt-to-evans-sawtooth-scramble.html
I met up with some other hikers with a dog, at this point they had to turn back because it was just too steep for Fido. Don't bring your dog on this route:

Oddly, just about everything else was from this site. Not sure how you could have missed it?

I can't stress enough that the rescuers are some real heroes here.
"Athletes express themselves physically, this is their art. As an athlete, exhausting oneself on the field or or on the track or on the trail or on the mountain brings calm and satisfaction. Thrashing about… our expression." - Steve Gleason

Postby JA_son27 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:57 pm

Congrats on a successful rescue! My wife and I were saddened by this situation, then we were elated by the rescue. But the hate and vitriol toward the owner has darkened an otherwise happy occasion. It's interesting that mob mentality can actually exist on a website forum.
"The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me."
Matt 25:40

Postby MountainHiker » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:58 pm

Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert

Postby ATK » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:59 pm

JA_son27 wrote:It's interesting that mob mentality can actually exist on a website forum.

You must not get on the internets often.

Postby Matt » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:59 pm

James Dziezynski wrote:You left your dog in the mountains to die. All the excuses in the world don't change that. You had dozens of outlets to do more, even as simple as making a lost dog flyer and posting it at the trailhead. I'm surprised you had to "learn" that lesson. Even a 5 year old child would make a flyer for a lost pet.

Thank goodness for the community who was strong when you were weak.

Anthony, you have guts posting here. You'll be very, very lucky to get your dog back. If you don't, you have no right to challenge that. In a life or death situation, you turned your back on your dog and even after you had taken care of yourself (in itself, a good decision) you took no further action. It is beyond many of us how you didn't think to post flyers at the trailhead. Or have a friend do it.

Moving forward, you would be well served by some of the hiking clinics at the CMC or even the free clinics on "Hiking a 14er" that pop up at REI from time to time. Leave your dog at home. Figure out what class 3 means. Ask questions on these forums.

In the end, you got very, very lucky you were on a highly traveled mountain and there were rescuers ready to step up. Nearly everyone has gotten in a bad situation on mountains, now you know there is a community at large willing to help. Next time instead of praying and feeling sorry for yourself, try actually doing something. Sure, it can be hard to ask for help but isn't your dog's life worth it?

All that being said, please stay safe in the mountains and take your time. As pissed off as I am at your lack of action, when you find your way back to the mountains you will have a new awareness and I hope for many less dramatic adventures in the mountains for you. And maybe when you are ready for responsible dog ownership, stick to the class 2 routes.

I've never read your book, advertised with each of your posts.
If it's a fraction as preachy as you've been on this thread, I won't bother.
People who like to be preached to usually go to church, not 14ers.com. Just sayin'
We are all greater artists than we realize -FWN
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -HDT
Peak List

Postby James Dziezynski » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:05 pm

Matt, I make no apologies for being a voice for neglected animals. None.
Check out my book Best Summit Hikes in Colorado at http://amzn.to/WKkWOH

Postby Paula » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:06 pm

It never ceases to amaze me how fast this community mobilizes when things hit the fan. Everyone who risked their own safety on Missy's behalf, both the group that found her and those who went looking earlier, you're wonderful people and I'd be honored to buy any of you a beer at a future happy hour. It's unfortunate for Missy that her owner didn't know he had such a strong resource available earlier.

Postby Dex » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:07 pm

MountainHiker wrote:Image

I like that there are dogs at the bottom of that picture.
Montani Semper Liberi
"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." Barry Ritholtz

Postby hootchiesmom » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:09 pm

hootchiesmom wrote:Hoping we can bring this back to Missy, how the vet visit went, if the owner was confirmed via the rabies tag, and most importantly how Missy is doing today! Also would love to hear more about the rescue, Missy's reaction to being found etc...

I am not a hiker, live some 1200 + miles from you, but I am a GSD lover, all I want to know is PLEASE how Missy is doing today!!! Have all of the rescuers abandoned this thread?

Postby thetoddman » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:10 pm

Something with Anthony's ever-evolving excuses/explanations and the trotting out of his neverending 'friends' that all have EXACTLY the same things to say just doesn't pass the smell test to me. Do others here get this sense?

PreviousNext