The 14ers.com dogs

Dogs, dogs and even some cats
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
CoMountainGirl1
14ers: 12  1 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (0)

Re: The 14er.com dogs

Post by CoMountainGirl1 »

This is Taj, named after where my fiance and I got engaged at the Taj Mahal. We have only had him since Jan and he's done 10 14ers and a handful of 13ers. This pic is at the top of San Luis, the side tongue is Taj's signature move.
Taj.jpg
Taj.jpg (122.3 KiB) Viewed 3396 times
Started_14ers_in_2006
14ers: 19 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Started_14ers_in_2006 »

Skip Perkins wrote:Hi,
My name is Hank and I have had to post my own picture because the old guy that I hike with is too technologically illiterate to do it himself. He does take me hiking but his pace is pretty slow so I have to chase a few other things to keep myself in shape. I have learned that if I dawdle he calls and gives me a bisquet for a being a good boy. Boy, if he only knew. Today we haven't hiked at all because he's had his butt parked on the sofa reading some dog thread on this site. I hope to do a 14er sometime but his wife says, "over my dead body." I guess he might be a widow soon so I can claim a summit.
IMG_3039.JPG
That gave me a pretty good laugh! Very cute!!
I don't climb 14ers to race to the top, I climb them to GET to the top.
Jay521
14ers: 42  10 
13ers: 175 22
Trip Reports (56)

My two forever friends....

Post by Jay521 »

This is a picture of Gunnar (left) and Kodi - taken on top of Mount Princeton in probably 1990.
They are Norwegian Elkhounds and were my best friends and hiking/climbing partners for 15 years.
I miss them terribly.
Attachments
Dogs1.jpg
Dogs1.jpg (192.57 KiB) Viewed 3278 times
I take the mountain climber's approach to housekeeping - don't look down
Started_14ers_in_2006
Trip Reports (1)

Leigh wrote:Awww...this thread makes me miss my Duke. We never hiked any 14'ers together, but he made several trips to Colorado with me before I put him to sleep this year at 15.

Here we are at Boston Mine - he was 13 at the time and dragged me uphill the whole way!

The next day we hiked to St Mary's Glacier and I ended up carrying him down as he didn't care for the rocks too much

I've been fostering since then, but I think I'm ready to rescue another dog, just researching breeds to pick the right one...definitely getting some ideas/inspiration from this thread!
You're a great puppy mama =D>
Started_14ers_in_2006
Trip Reports (1)

Greenhouseguy wrote:I don't take the pet hiking because my wife bought this...thing. I think it might be an Ewok.

LMAO!! That's awesome!!!
Started_14ers_in_2006
Trip Reports (1)

This is THE BEST thread! I don't have a dog, but I'm thoroughly enjoying all of your pictures here! There are a lot of spoiled and loved pets here in our great state...what a breath of fresh air!!
Baz Agastus
14ers: 33 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Baz Agastus »

We dogs are so much more fit to climb 14ers than you humans. I myself have done 31 of the 14ers and would have done more if my human wasn’t too chicken to bring me.

Some of you may remember me from when I once snuck on the computer and wrote my own TR. If you don’t let me remind you:
Ellingwood Point – Doggie Style
http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepor ... m=tripuser

Since then my owner was pretty steady at taking me out so I didn’t mess with showing the world that dogs actually can maintain their own profile and write their own TR’s on 14ers.com.

Then of course I guided a couple of my humans into Chicago basin. I forced them to do the whole thing from Purgatory car to car in just 33 hours and I was still wanting to play fetch the last couple of miles on the trail:
http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepor ... m=tripuser
and then the next summer, I dragged my human 32 miles and 17K feet in elevation in just 2 days up 5 San Juans:
http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepor ... ki=Include
Now this summer, I have only gotten to do Halo Ridge on Holy Cross:
http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepor ... ki=Include
Because I am so deprived of the alpine this year, I figured I would get back online and let everyone know that I am still a hoss. It’s time other dogs step up and let your humans know how much more awesome you are than them. Meanwhile… I will be sitting and waiting for my owner to come to his most loyal bestest friend and wait patiently for him to take me out and show him how it’s done!

Ill sniff your behind at the top!
HuskyRunner
14ers: 22  1 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (1)

Post by HuskyRunner »

Some pics of our current five Siberian rescued dogs.

Earlier this year on Silverheels, from left to right: Isabelle, Nanuuk, Dakota, Skye, and Skyler.
IMG_1634 by thecrankymonkey, on Flickr

Skyler on Niwot Ridge on a skijor outing January, 2011. Skyler was picked up as a stray in Kansas City and was scheduled for euthanasia before we rescued him. He was heartworm positive, timid, bit and growled, he's now a happy boy that likes to give kisses and snuggle.

Skyler by thecrankymonkey, on Flickr

Dakota on Mt. Sherman July, 2007. Dakota was surrendered by a woman who bought from a pet shop, lived in an apartment and had to give him up because he wailed like banshee (no what that really sounds like) when she left him alone.

Dakota And Moon by thecrankymonkey, on Flickr

The pups with a foster we had at the time, Shuksan (small white pup laying down) on Buckskin Pass in 2006

Happy Dogs by thecrankymonkey, on Flickr

Sitaka was our first rescue in CO, we were his fifth family and he was in rescue for over a year, he was a terrific boy. Unfortunately we lost Sitaka earlier this year to Leukemia but we feel blessed to have had the opportunity to spend eight wonderful years with him.

Sitaka by thecrankymonkey, on Flickr

Skye was surrendered to us by a family that picked her up from a school playground, the guy told us if we didn't take her that minute he was going to dump her in the woods on the way home. She's just a little intense but a sweet girl that loves to run, she's done a 50 training run with my wife.
Skye by thecrankymonkey, on Flickr

Nanuuk on a skijor outing 12, 2011. Nanuuk came into rescue during a nasty divorce. He was timid, 30 lbs under weight, nails so long he couldn't walk and the fur around his neck damaged from being tethered. He's a big happy boy now, 80 lbs. that loves to play in the snow but mostly he loves his couch.

Nanuuk by thecrankymonkey, on Flickr

Lastly a pic of a short dog sled outing in Wash Park
Dog sledding Wash Park by thecrankymonkey, on Flickr

If that's not enough pics I have plenty more of our dogs and some fosters on my Flickr set: http://www.flickr.com/photos/thecrankym ... 303987203/
"I made up my mind not to care so much about the destination, and simply enjoy the journey." David Archuleta
"And if they get out there they see, son of a bitch, this is a beautiful planet." Jim Whittaker
Dark Helmet
14ers: 7 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Dark Helmet »

husky, if you ever stumble onto an undersized runt (~60lbs) PLEASE email me!!!!

Love the snow pics, those dogs look so at-home!
sue personett
14ers: 58 
13ers: 86
Trip Reports (1)

Post by sue personett »

Dear HuskyRunner,
I love your photos! Looks like I need more Huskies.
Namaste
Sue
HuskyRunner
14ers: 22  1 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (1)

Post by HuskyRunner »

Looks like your two are doing as well as my five! What I really need is a lead dog, what the Wash Park pic doesn't show is shortly after my wife took the pic I almost wound up in the lake as Dakota wanted to catch some geese!
"I made up my mind not to care so much about the destination, and simply enjoy the journey." David Archuleta
"And if they get out there they see, son of a bitch, this is a beautiful planet." Jim Whittaker
mdwoodland
14ers: 58 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mdwoodland »

This is Moab. When she was 14, she did her 14th 14er (Huron) with me. Now, she is a happy 16 year old that prefers short walks and long naps.
HuronPeak13 (1280x960) (1024x768) (800x600) (640x480).jpg
HuronPeak13 (1280x960) (1024x768) (800x600) (640x480).jpg (315.08 KiB) Viewed 3175 times
“There are two kinds of climbers, those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe