Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

New PETS sub-forum

Dogs, dogs and even some cats
Forum rules
Let's try to keep the topics related to mountaineering, please.
Site Administrator

New PETS sub-forum

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:29 am

To keep from clogging up all of the other forums sections with the never-ending dog threads, I've created "Pets on Peaks." I'll go back though the forum and try to move as many dogs threads as I can find.

With all of them in the same place, it's easier to hide pet threads on the home page by changing your Display Settings (link also on home page).
"There's no recess and no rules in the school of life" - D. Mustaine

Re: New PETS sub-forum

Postby susanjoypaul » Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:43 am

Thank you Mr. Middlebrook.
I mean, "Woof!"

Postby dpbasing » Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:26 pm

TY BILL \:D/ =D>

Postby Snowgirl » Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:33 pm

Oh, thank you!!! Is it too early to hope that this will limit the number of "Can my dog hike X Trail/Peak/Ridge"? Yeah... maybe not. :lol:
Such things for example as the grasp of a child's hand in your own, the flavor of an apple, the embrace of a friend or lover...sunlight on rock and leaves, the feel of music, the bark of a tree, the abrasion of granite and sand, the plunge of clear water into a pool, the face of the wind--- what else is there? What else do we need?
--Edward Abbey

Postby edhaman » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:05 pm

Two questions:

1. Will a gun sub-forum be next?

2. Can my dog hike Denver City Park?

Postby timstich » Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:19 am

That's dog gone discriminatory.

But still, a great dane in forum history.

[Three pages of thread titles already here. Wow.]

Postby Roald » Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:29 am

Excellent, and thank you. I never knew I could change my settings to only show certain topics. Just unchecked the Pets on Peaks topic, so maybe that will prevent me from getting irritated by seeing pictures of dogs on summits.
chrismjx wrote:

Roald, in that one sentence you managed to demonstrate that A) you're an idiot and B) you're a hypocrite, and a perfect example of the cause of the modern-day problems in this country.

Postby peter303 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:14 pm

+100 idea

Postby Mark A Steiner » Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:16 pm

HOT DOG!!!
Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatever state I am, therewith to be content - Paul the Apostle.
Good day.

Postby SilverLynx » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:36 pm

Great idea! I like it.
"I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear."
~Nelson Mandela

"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma - which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition."
~Steve Jobs

Postby Neil » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:51 am

I say make all dog threads invisible on the home page regardless of settings. If folks want to debate how lucky Missy is or any number of other topics unrelated to human mountaineering, it's your server space! But as a long-time member of your amazing site who hasn't groveled and begged in a few years, please use your powers for good -- make this a hiking forum again! I honestly fear losing our best mountaineers to a runaway forum. Thank you for your consideration. Oh, do this and that check for operating costs is in the mail!

Postby coloradokevin » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:15 am

Neil wrote:I say make all dog threads invisible on the home page regardless of settings. If folks want to debate how lucky Missy is or any number of other topics unrelated to human mountaineering, it's your server space! But as a long-time member of your amazing site who hasn't groveled and begged in a few years, please use your powers for good -- make this a hiking forum again! I honestly fear losing our best mountaineers to a runaway forum. Thank you for your consideration. Oh, do this and that check for operating costs is in the mail!

I'm a dog guy, and I like hiking and climbing with my dog (naturally). Even I've been overwhelmed with dog stuff on here in the past week, but I strongly suspect it will die down again soon. The dozen or so new members who joined the site because of the Sawtooth dog will probably be heading elsewhere soon, unless they have some other interest in mountaineering. The fur can only fly for so long.

I was even (originally) thinking of starting a thread on dog rescue equipment, to toss around ideas I had that I'd like to discuss with others who (actually) hike with their larger dogs. I've decided to wait some time before starting such a thread, due to the doggone frenzy of dog threads we're currently seeing.

It will pass though, just watch. And, when it passes the mountaineers will still be here (debating politics, guns, beer, hot tubs on summits, Bill Middlebrook's apparent faults, and sometimes mountaineering).

Next