Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

New PETS sub-forum

Dogs, dogs and even some cats
Forum rules
Let's try to keep the topics related to mountaineering, please.

Re: New PETS sub-forum

Postby tmathews » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:14 am

Bill, thanks for this. I've unchecked this sub-forum and it doesn't show up on the web version, but these threads are still showing up in the mobile version when I'm viewing the site on my phone. I made sure I was logged in and everything. Are there any tweaks you can make so this sub-forum doesn't show up in the mobile version? I also have Off-route unchecked and it doesn't show in the mobile version. I hope all of that makes sense.

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:11 pm

Yeah, I just haven't had a chance to apply Display Settings to the mobile version.
Only SNOW will end the madness

Postby Mel McKinney » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:14 pm

Great idea! I hope it helps funnel the pet threads. It should cut down on the craziness, your frustration and the need to go hiking, weed-wack the yard and "insert activity here" just to get away from the site! :lol:
Mountains cast spells on me - Why, because of the way Earth-heaps lie, should I be Chocked by joy mysteriously; stilled or drunken-gay? Why should a brown hill trail Tug at my feet to go? Why should a boggy swale Tune my heart to a nameless tale Mountain marshes know?
--- Belle Turnbull ("Mountain-Mad")

"Nothing is so embarrassing as watching someone do something that you said couldn't be done."
---Sam Ewing

Postby Carmeanie » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:42 pm

coloradokevin"

I was even (originally) thinking of starting a thread on dog rescue equipment, to toss around ideas I had that I'd like to discuss with others who (actually) hike with their larger dogs. I've decided to wait some time before starting such a thread, due to the doggone frenzy of dog threads we're currently seeing.

Kevin..I'd love to hear what kind of rescue equipment I should be carrying for my 75 pound dog. I typically carry a tarp that is big enough to wrap him up in... and an ace bandage...

Carmen

Postby HuskyRunner » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:46 am

Carmeanie wrote:coloradokevin"

I was even (originally) thinking of starting a thread on dog rescue equipment, to toss around ideas I had that I'd like to discuss with others who (actually) hike with their larger dogs. I've decided to wait some time before starting such a thread, due to the doggone frenzy of dog threads we're currently seeing.

Kevin..I'd love to hear what kind of rescue equipment I should be carrying for my 75 pound dog. I typically carry a tarp that is big enough to wrap him up in... and an ace bandage...

Carmen

Here's a thread from a vet's point of view on being prepared while hiking with your dogs: http://www.14ers.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=37063

Another page from American Hiking Society on 10 essentials for dogs: http://www.americanhiking.org/Resources.aspx?id=1813

Personally when on longer hikes with our 5 or 6 Huskies we take:
roll or 2 of vetwrap, last couple of blood tests I've had they used this stuff on me.
pain meds: buffered aspirin is OK, sometimes we take Rimadyl
anti-diarrhea meds
dog booties, lots of dog booties
collapsible bowl
backpack large enough to put our biggest dog in, have a Serratus Aplinelite, 75 liter, comfy and only 5lbs and bombproof.
our first aid kit
cloth tape, being climbers we have lots of it around
On multi day hikes the dogs wear Ruffwear Palisade packs, the harnesses are good for picking the dogs up and around obstacles if needed.

load AnimalHelpNow on your smart phone, CO only: http://ahnow.org/
"I made up my mind not to care so much about the destination, and simply enjoy the journey." David Archuleta
"And if they get out there they see, son of a bitch, this is a beautiful planet." Jim Whittaker

Previous