Dogs in the Hourglass??

Dogs, dogs and even some cats
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Re: Dogs in the Hourglass??

Post by nyker »

tomcat67 wrote:...I cant help but think that the dog or the leash it was attached to was somehow to blame. I love dogs more than most and we bring our dog on a lot of outings but this was just plain stupid imho. . T
First off, glad you're safe.

To your point above, I don't think the dog had too much to say in whether it wanted to climb up the hourglass or not...

Bummer you had to turn around, but better that than reading about you on Denver news tonight being the victim of rockfall or worse.

When I climbed Lindsey recently, there was a guy dragging a dog down that gulley.
That gulley took a few mm off the soles of my Vibram soles, who knows what it did to the poor dog's footpads.

I love dogs too and grew up with them, though I'd leave the pooch home for a good portion of
many of these peaks both for their safety and the safety of other climbers.
MtHurd
14ers: 57  4 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MtHurd »

I guess this dog is trying to be the second dog to climb all the 14ers. Since this dog can handle ropes, maybe Lizard Head next.
nyker
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

tomcat, was the dog a large, dark Shepherd mix? Wonder if it was the same guys from Lindsey.
soybean56
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 210 1
Trip Reports (4)

Post by soybean56 »

Glad to hear you made it out safely Tomcat. Sorry to hear that you had to turn around. I love my dog dearly, but there are certain places dogs shouldn't go.

Not to derail the thread, but how was the condition of the Hourglass? Did you run into verglass/ice?
mtndude3737
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (2)

Post by mtndude3737 »

Barry Raven wrote:So since that dog used a rope, is he now considered a "mountaineer"?
1. moun·tain·eer/ˌmountnˈi(ə)r/
Noun:

A person who takes part in mountaineering. Therefore, no.
Barry Raven wrote:Was the dog wearing a helmet?
Dog helmet.jpg
Dog helmet.jpg (86.54 KiB) Viewed 2396 times
Barry Raven wrote:I guess this dog is trying to be the second dog to climb all the 14ers. Since this dog can handle ropes, maybe Lizard Head next.
If he does climb Lizard Head, I hope he can type, cause I want the beta so I can climb it next month.
What is there, beyond the mountain, if not the man? - Walter Bonatti

The simpler you make things, the richer the experience becomes. - Steve House
ak47
14ers: 44 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ak47 »

Wow! as a dog lover whose dogs have completed a combined 35 14ers and countless winter summits in indian peaks and the san juans...I am stunned! I would never consider bringing one to this group. In fact I'm heading for these peaks on monday and the first thing I did was find a dog sitter, because I obviously care about her not dying and am considerate enough to know she puts others in danger with rockfall. I guess the climbers figured they could just leave the dog on the mtn if it couldn't complete the traverse and someone would rescue it for them. What's with the amateur hour out there? Any theories?
uwe
13ers: 45
Trip Reports (0)

Post by uwe »

jasayrevt wrote:where's a 2 X 4 when you need it

Louis Farrakhan famously said when taking his boy to the woodshed, "...and there ain't much you can't solve with a 2X4."

So who let the dogs out? Did I say that?

Are we going to the dogs? Oops, I did it again.

Doggone it, I can't help myself.

Ok, I'll stop now.

Glad the dog and folks all good and sorry you had the troubles.
Kitten
14ers: 58  1  2 
13ers: 122
Trip Reports (24)

Post by Kitten »

I think it is a very bad idea to take dogs on this route, and then have them kick rocks on top of that... boy glad you were ok. ](*,)
"Do or do not, there is no try"
Yoda, Star Wars.
ThuChad
14ers: 31  1 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by ThuChad »

Did they have one of these?

I'm just pretending to be a poseur.
RosieTheSummiter
14ers: 40 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (3)

Post by RosieTheSummiter »

Wow...all these dog issues coming up again and again... gets me thinking - if some people cared half as much about the potential for scratches, dings, leaking fluid and broken parts for a dog as they do their cars, it would be a very different environment.

Given that, considering this site has a "Trailhead Status" section to alert owners to the various hazards of the approaches to the THs and that people value that info, I'd like to propose a section a "Dog Status" or "Dog Info" section be added to each route where people can chime in on the route, the breed of dog, the level of difficulty and owner recommendations. Yes, every dog is different just like every dog and every owner and every vehicle is different. No, it will not prevent all ID-10-T's from bringing dogs where they should not go, just as a TH description doens't prevent all WRX owners from thinking they can drive on a 4WD road and avoid getting stuck. But we seem to have far fewer stuck and broken vehicles these days than we do bloodied, scared, beat-up dogs (Como being the exception, perhaps.)

We even have a "cell service" section for each mountain. Can we really not consider having at least one section on each mountain route for pooches considering we've just had people haul 60+ lb dogs downhill in their packs??
"Don't get mad, get altitude."
MUni Rider
14ers: 51 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (20)

Post by MUni Rider »

There is a forum section titled "Pets on Peaks". A far better place for this thread.

----Glad you made it off the mountain safely. Better luck next time.
"It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by the dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worthy course; who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat." (Theodore Roosevelt)

"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit." (Edward Abbey)
MtHurd
14ers: 57  4 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MtHurd »

ThuChad wrote:Did they have one of these?

Now that's a good way to get a dog and a cat to the summit.