How young is too young for puppies on trail?

Dogs, dogs and even some cats
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Re: How young is too young for puppies on trail?

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

LOL

Well, I'm not "old and grumpy," afraid of dogs or a foreigner but I think people should keep their dog on a leash when the local regulation requires it (wilderness or not).
pills2619 wrote:I'm tired of the number one complaint about dogs being off leash is that people don't want to be bothered by them.
That's just one issue. There's also the impact on fragile, alpine environments and wildlife.

This will always be a hot topic - some people are too sensitive AND there are too many idiotic pet owners out there. :-"
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
metalmountain
14ers: 42  1  2 
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (1)

Post by metalmountain »

pills2619 wrote:Don't use a leash unless near roads. they ruin the fun for you and your dog. People who bitch about leashes have some fear of dogs which they should get over or they are not familiar with the mountains or they are just old and grumpy(old and grumpy might as well be dead or in a nursing home, old and happy is whats up...) The one rule of thumb is yes its your job to make sure that when that person bitch's about your dog, make sure your dog doesn't do anything stupid... and if your dog is actually a menace, thats a great time to keep him on leash. And please don't start complaining about this... you just sound 1. old and grumpy 2. like a whiner who can't get over there fear of mans BEST friend (omg its Godzilla!!! oh wait its just wiggles...) or 3. A foreigner to this land; a good test for this one is whether you gear cost adds up to more than the money you spent on food and gas and beer actually being in the mountains.

sorry thats a little off topic but I've been pissed at this one a$$hole for a while now and I'm tired of the number one complaint about dogs being off leash is that people don't want to be bothered by them. Thats not good enough for me when we spent 7000 years of eugenics creating animals that want nothing more than to run around and work hard and listen to their masters.
Hahaha yeahhh... :yawn:

In case you missed it there was a festivus thread a while back, maybe you should have unloaded this over there instead.
"I found that nothing truly matters, that you cannot find for free." - The Gaslight Anthem
TallGrass
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TallGrass »

I like dogs, grew up with dogs, immediate relatives have dogs, friends have dogs, hunting dogs, show dogs, companion dogs ... I like 'em all. I know it's up to me to make sure a dog in my care doesn't get hurt. Was hiking down to Maroon lake (leaving) when I came to a spot were everyone was slow and quiet because folks were checking out the wildlife (grouse, ptarmigan, or some other birds) and were being careful so they wouldn't spook them away for others. Shortly thereafter I came upon two girls coming the other way with a dog and suggested they might want to leash him because of the wildlife up ahead. "Oh, no. It's fine. He's voice trained." About that time he saw something and like a flash was running through the brush down the hillside with one chasing after yelling, "[dog] STOP! [dog] COME BACK! [dog]!..." I just looked at the other girl for a second then kept hiking down.

Here are five time-tested ways you can train a dog to respond to your comman... SQUIRREL!!!!!!!

If you're young and don't hate leash laws, you have no heart. If you're old and don't like leash laws, you have no wisdom.
"A few hours' mountain climbing make of a rogue and a saint two fairly equal creatures.
Tiredness is the shortest path to equality and fraternity - and sleep finally adds to them liberty."
Derek
Trip Reports (57)

Post by Derek »

pills2619 wrote:Don't use a leash unless near roads. they ruin the fun for you and your dog. People who bitch about leashes have some fear of dogs which they should get over or they are not familiar with the mountains or they are just old and grumpy
As I posted on the previous page, I love hiking/climbing with my dog. He almost always wears a backpack, and on the backpack is clipped a retractable leash. When we come across others (which doesn't occur too often, as he's more of a "bushwhacking pup") I always grab the leash out of simple respect of the other people. I dont have a fear of dogs, and I'm not old and grumpy (Maybe grumpy...) even though I'm a part time leasher.

Being "familiar" with the mountains has nothing to do with dogs. Dogs are not a natural mountain item. There are people who go to the mountains to get away from things....like people and dogs. I don't think its too much to ask to be considerate to anyone that may feel this way. That way everyone is having a good day. (The 2 minutes Rufus spends on the leash when meeting someone on the trail isn't hurting his experience....maybe just his pride. :wink: ) And if Rufus runs up on someone when he is unleashed and I'm not paying attention, its not their fault for being "dog haters", and its not Rufus' fault for liking people, its MY fault for not keeping track of my partner.

Just my opinion obviously.

--D
pills2619
14ers: 14 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by pills2619 »

by familiar I only mean you know how to act around a dog when in the backcountry like don't run or act suspicious. and of course when its there I grab my dog also but hes genrally not right by my side where i can do that.
They forget that some crisis is necessary to hone skill. "Near misses," those brief encounters with the reality of mortality, are great learning tools if properly approached. -Denali Climbers Guidebook
TallGrass
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TallGrass »

:lol: Why don't you just tack your "how to act around my dog" list to every trailhead info board? Different dogs behave differently, just like people. Many who've rescued one from a shelter (God love 'em) know that all too well.
"A few hours' mountain climbing make of a rogue and a saint two fairly equal creatures.
Tiredness is the shortest path to equality and fraternity - and sleep finally adds to them liberty."
metalmountain
14ers: 42  1  2 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by metalmountain »

pills2619 wrote:by familiar I only mean you know how to act around a dog when in the backcountry like don't run or act suspicious. and of course when its there I grab my dog also but hes genrally not right by my side where i can do that.
What about us trail runners? I have definitely had some dogs that were not leashed chase and lunge at me.
"I found that nothing truly matters, that you cannot find for free." - The Gaslight Anthem
DaveSwink
14ers: 37  12 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (6)

Post by DaveSwink »

metalmountain wrote:
pills2619 wrote:by familiar I only mean you know how to act around a dog when in the backcountry like don't run or act suspicious. and of course when its there I grab my dog also but hes genrally not right by my side where i can do that.
What about us trail runners? I have definitely had some dogs that were not leashed chase and lunge at me.
I have been bitten three times while running on trails in 2012. Twice the owners denied it, even when I showed the blood on my calf. They definitely shared the attitude of "just get over it". Even being shoulder blocked at the knees by a friendly dog can result in a rough tumble for runner and dog.
highpilgrim
14ers: 58 
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

dswink wrote: They definitely shared the attitude of "just get over it". Even being shoulder blocked at the knees by a friendly dog can result in a rough tumble for runner and dog.
Expecting some dog owners to respect other's space and experience of the wilderness is futile.

Everyone has to love their puppies just as much as they do. How could it be any other way?
Last edited by highpilgrim on Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
pills2619
14ers: 14 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by pills2619 »

My dog has never had a history of biting anyone and that is why I allow him off leash. My buddy has a German Shepard pup that has bitten someone and I cringe every time he doesn't have a leash on... there are always bad owners
They forget that some crisis is necessary to hone skill. "Near misses," those brief encounters with the reality of mortality, are great learning tools if properly approached. -Denali Climbers Guidebook
DaveSwink
14ers: 37  12 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (6)

Post by DaveSwink »

pills2619 wrote:My dog has never had a history of biting anyone and that is why I allow him off leash.
Good on you for your consideration. =D> Think about the impact of your dog running up to an oncoming trail runner too, please (for your dog's sake too). Enjoy your hikes with the pup!
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

pills2619 wrote:Don't use a leash unless near roads. they ruin the fun for you and your dog. People who bitch about leashes have some fear of dogs which they should get over or they are not familiar with the mountains or they are just old and grumpy(old and grumpy might as well be dead or in a nursing home, old and happy is whats up...) The one rule of thumb is yes its your job to make sure that when that person bitch's about your dog, make sure your dog doesn't do anything stupid... and if your dog is actually a menace, thats a great time to keep him on leash. And please don't start complaining about this... you just sound 1. old and grumpy 2. like a whiner who can't get over there fear of mans BEST friend (omg its Godzilla!!! oh wait its just wiggles...) or 3. A foreigner to this land; a good test for this one is whether you gear cost adds up to more than the money you spent on food and gas and beer actually being in the mountains.

sorry thats a little off topic but I've been pissed at this one a$$hole for a while now and I'm tired of the number one complaint about dogs being off leash is that people don't want to be bothered by them. Thats not good enough for me when we spent 7000 years of eugenics creating animals that want nothing more than to run around and work hard and listen to their masters.
[-X

Some people are just self-centered and inconsiderate of others.....
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"