Growling dogs

Dogs, dogs and even some cats
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
jeffs
14ers: 45 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (2)

Growling dogs

Post by jeffs »

So I have my fair share of dogs at home.. and I love them to pieces.... but if your the couple we met on So Col trail yesterday you should leave yours at home. Let me set the scene, my wife was leading the way on back to the TH, a very large dog(70-80lbs, pit bull, lab mix?) crested the hill headed toward us dragging a lead rope and stopped about 20 yards away. The dog barked and charged, and couple yelled from about another 20 yds further behind the dog "don't worry he's nice".. the dog stopped about 10' from my wife and started growling looking like he was going to attack. I promptly charged in front of my wife with the intent of scaring the dog off or inflicting whatever pain I could with a set of sharp hiking poles.. The dog growled and fled before I could do any real harm. I told the owners they needed to keep their flipping dog under control or I was going to take him out..... What did the owner say...? Sorry? Sorry my dog was loose, charged and was growling at you and your wife...? Noooo... He opted for "I'll take you out".... So if my dog just aggressively charged someone and threatened them I think I would have choose the "I'm so sorry my dog is being an idoit" path. Instead I heard "My dog has never growled at anyone before" and "My dog has never bit anyone before". That's understandable if you picked the mut up from the pound yesterday morning. You came very close to losing your dog yesterday, so I would suggest that you keep him under control before he hurts someone, or himself....

There... I feel better.... :)
Last edited by jeffs on Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hey, it's flat up here?!
MountainHiker
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 109
Trip Reports (7)

Re: Growling dogs

Post by MountainHiker »

:cartman:
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert
Somewhat of a Prick
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 84
Trip Reports (17)

Post by Somewhat of a Prick »

Riveting tale, chap.
Lady McClimbsalot
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (12)

Post by Lady McClimbsalot »

*you're
I'll climb till I dye!
Steve Climber
14ers: 27  3 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (11)

Post by Steve Climber »

Good story, bro. Next time include some dragons.
Dave B wrote:And/or line thy helmet with tin foil and realize this is a freaking mountaineering website.
Steve Climber wrote:So that's your backpack, huh?
DaveSwink
14ers: 37  12 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (6)

Post by DaveSwink »

Dogs that are well in front of their owners seem to have very uncertain reactions to encountering a stranger, and sometimes act like they are threatened. I have found that stopping and looking away seems to defuse them a bit. I was bitten twice last year while trail running and the owner responses were similar to the denial you got. Most dog owners don't want to believe that their dog could threaten/bite even after it happens. I would anticipate a very bad reaction to hurting the dog. If it goes that far, be prepared to tangle with the owner too.
jeffs
Trip Reports (2)

Post by jeffs »

Dex wrote:
jeffs wrote:So I have my fair share of dogs at home.. and I love them to pieces....
You like kicking a hornets nest, don't you?

You're not going to get much support here.

LOL - Not looking for support, I was just venting at a situation that almost got out of control. Fortunately the couple continued on their merry way up the trail, yelling back to us "Our dog has never bit anyone". I'm glad it didn't....
Hey, it's flat up here?!
Tortoise1
14ers: 15 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Tortoise1 »

"I'll take your dog out" is not really a good starter for the conversation. There are people who would kill you if you killed their dog. The law is on your side, no reason to be a vigilante. I'd let them have the first word, then say "people have gone to jail for many years and had their net worth wiped out based on the acts of their dogs", then take a picture of the dog and walk away.
jeffs
Trip Reports (2)

Post by jeffs »

Tortoise1 wrote:"I'll take your dog out" is not really a good starter for the conversation. There are people who would kill you if you killed their dog. The law is on your side, no reason to be a vigilante. I'd let them have the first word, then say "people have gone to jail for many years and had their net worth wiped out based on the acts of their dogs", then take a picture of the dog and walk away.
Good plan.... Better path....
Hey, it's flat up here?!
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

Tortoise1 wrote:"I'll take your dog out" is not really a good starter for the conversation. There are people who would kill you if you killed their dog. The law is on your side, no reason to be a vigilante. I'd let them have the first word, then say "people have gone to jail for many years and had their net worth wiped out based on the acts of their dogs", then take a picture of the dog and walk away.
Not really. A local cop was forced out of his job for killing a loose dog. A video was ambiguous as to how threatening the animal was.
http://denver.cbslocal.com/2012/11/26/n ... -pit-bull/
This had been debated on talk radio endlessly at the beginning of the year.
DanaMac
14ers: 21 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DanaMac »

I'll come at it from another side. My dog is great with people, but she is not friendly with other dogs. So she is ALWAYS on a leash with us. Over Memorial weekend, we camped near the Shavano trailhead to climb on Sunday. On Saturday evening we did a little hike around the area, and were encountered by two off leash dogs. Of course they came barreling over and a dog fight ensued, with me pulling so hard on the leash that I my dog partially blacked out. Just because your dog may be fine off leash, mine may not be, and she doesn't appreciate getting sniffed up. We kept her on leash all the way to the saddle, where she waited with my wife while two of us summited. And again, she was approached by multiple dogs off leash which could have meant another dog fight. Please leash your dogs for many reasons. I'm just asking - not demanding, not scolding. And I would never confront anyone on a trail about it, UNTIL there is a dog fight.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

Summer is officially here!