Sawyer the 14er Canine Dies

Dogs, dogs and even some cats
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Inky6900
14ers: 57 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Sawyer the 14er Canine Dies

Post by Inky6900 »

With this thread coming to a close over the last day, I wanted to thank all of you on here for the comments, thoughts and prayers. It certainly has helped the process for me and everyone that knew Sawyer like my parents, sister and girlfriend. Many of my coworkers and friends have liked your posts.

It was a pleasure to hear from some of the new folks on here that never knew Sawyer and some from the old days that I messaged quite often. The post that made me actually laugh was by bonehead (Pat) when he said he'd told another climber about Sawyer on the summit of Lincoln and they didn't believe him. I remember when Soy was climbing with me, we'd be on a summit and climbers there would shake their heads and say, "I can't believe it!"

A special thanks to: MountainHiker (Ian), mtgirl, Dave (and Sawyer's new climbing friend Scooby), Jeff and Sierra, Barry, HunkyDunk (Rick), Globreal (Britt), Gerry Roach, AdgePeakster (Adrienne and Tippet). I was moved by your messages, have appreciated our past interactions and all of you are recognized in my book. A special thanks to AdgePeakster and Globreal. Your messages mean a lot to me.

I'll leave everyone with one more photo of Sawyer and me.

Thanks again.

Josh
North-Eolus-Summit.jpg
North-Eolus-Summit.jpg (310.82 KiB) Viewed 4028 times
With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.
clemsonmtneer
14ers: 35  6 
13ers: 23 6
Trip Reports (15)

Post by clemsonmtneer »

Very sad to hear... I remembered reading about the 14er hiking superdog a few years back, so wanted to offer my condolences for the loss of Sawyer. 14 years is a good, long, healthy life for a dog, yet still not long enough as others have stated. I grew up with an awesome golden retriever who also loved to hike but passed away at the age of 14 a few years back, so I feel your pain. While it's tough to think about now... my parents (who live in South Carolina) were absolutely devastated after our golden passed, but about 6-7 months later they decided to get another golden, and it was the absolute best thing they could have done, although they needed some time to pass before even considering it of course. On a more positive note, definitely looking forward to reading your book about your and Sawyer's 14er adventures when it is published.
dchappy7
14ers: 2 
Trip Reports (2)

Post by dchappy7 »

HI Josh, I ran into your post about your dog while searching to see if my labrador retriever Maximus could climb some class 2's with me.
I was moved to tears reading it as we dog owners love our dogs and would do anything for them. I dread the day Maximus leaves
this earth... Sounds like Sawyer had a great life here on earth and being a Man of Faith I do believe what you said and what Billy Graham said about heaven!
I just climbed my First 14er in Quandary Peak in July and flew into town since I live in California but plan to drive next time and bring him
with me. Please contact me when your book is done I am buying one for sure as you have earned it and so has Sawyer.

God bless, Dan Chapman
Phil 4:13 " I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength"
smrcka
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 116
Trip Reports (0)

Post by smrcka »

Very moving story. Josh you are very lucky to have had such a dog in your life and to have shared so much together. Sawyer was very lucky to have had you as well! My condolences to you.
It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err. - Mahatma Gandhi

To be aware is to be alive!
HarryW
14ers: 6 
Trip Reports (2)

Post by HarryW »

Josh, we have never met but your post about Sawyer was very touching. You two obviously had a special bond and wish I could have met the two of you. I can relate to your pain, we just lost our dog of 17 years a few weeks ago and are still in the grieving phase.

Your link with Sawyer says a lot about the kind of person you are, wish you the best and may your memories be good ones.

A quote that I don't know who authored but hope you enjoy;

"Near this spot are deposited the remains of one who possessed beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity and all the virtues of man, without his vices."
"And so you will sledge nearly alone, but those with whom you sledge will not be shopkeepers: that is worth a good deal"

Apsley Cherry-Garrard - The Worst Journey in the World
climbinfool
14ers: 46  1 
13ers: 49 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbinfool »

Josh,

This is an experience that I can relate to all too well. I truly empathize and hope that your thoughts naturally drift more to the times you shared than to the loss of Sawyer. You were very fortunate to have each other. I lost Amiga, my Malamute-wolf hybrid, after 14yrs, 3months and 5 or 6 adventure-filled days together not quite 3yrs ago. Once things seemed right, I eventually spread her ashes up on Mt. Hope.

This really hits home for me, so I have to keep this short. I sent you a private message a bit ago to share how I can relate, times Amiga and I spent together and how I dealt with the loss.

There's no doubt that dog thanks you and wants you to get the most out of life. It was ~ 2 1/2 years before I was even able to think about getting another dog again. Those relationships can't just be 'replaced'. Finally ~ 2 1/2 months ago, I did find a new buddy at the shelter who was waiting for someone to give her the best life possible. Dizzy is really different from 'Miga in a lot of ways (because I didn't want to spend any time wondering why she wasn't more like the friend I lost), but we've already climbed a dozen 14ers and 13ers since I adopted her.

Sawyer will always live on inside you. Everybody heals in different ways and at their own pace. You may be a long, long way from thinking about such things, but, when the time's right, there may be a great dog out there just waiting for someone to give them a wonderful life. :0)
"Everybody I know has a big 'but'" - if you can tell me what movie this quote is from (and aren't too embarrassed to admit it), I'll buy you lunch.
"Oh...oh I've got a helmet - I got a beauty!" - George Hanson
herdbull
14ers: 58 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (1)

Post by herdbull »

Sorry for your loss. Some dogs are more than just dogs. I've been there my friend.

Good dogs are hard to find.
Great dogs shall never be forgotten.
Long live Sawyer.