Sawyer the 14er Canine Dies

Dogs, dogs and even some cats
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
SurfNTurf
14ers: 58  28 
13ers: 127 7
Trip Reports (48)

Re: Sawyer the 14er Canine Dies

Post by SurfNTurf »

I've always enjoyed the posts about Sawyer. I'm sorry for your loss. He lived a more rewarding life than most dogs on the planet, and I'm sure he loved every moment of it with you. Best of luck completing the book project, you can definitely count me in for a copy.
“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper
I fall a lot
Trip Reports (0)

Post by I fall a lot »

Josh

I'm sorry to hear of your loss....he sounded like a great animal that brought you lots of joy. I'm happy to hear that his final days were active and that he wasn't in any pain, he was lucky in that respect and was lucky to have you as a life companion as well. Cheesy or not, a vet once told me that the depth of my sorrow was equal to the depth of my love for my animals. It helped.

Hang in there.
bonehead
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bonehead »

On the summit of Lincoln just last week,
we spent time with a fellow named Chris
and his beautiful friendly Blond Lab.
I told him all about Sawyer.
I'm not quite sure he believed me.
I don't usually do 14ers, but when I do
the dogs I encounter make my day.
So sorry for your loss.
Pat
fahixson
14ers: 57 
13ers: 31
Trip Reports (1)

Post by fahixson »

Sorry for your loss Josh. Thoughtful tribute to an amazing dog. Look forward to reading more about him (and you) when the book comes out.
flyingmagpie
14ers: 56 
13ers: 54
Trip Reports (23)

Post by flyingmagpie »

Josh--
Sorry. Those of us who have truly loved a dog (or two, or three) have shared your feelings of loss. Sawyer lives on in the wonderful memories you have of the adventures you shared.
--John
"I've found the truest paths always lead through mountains."

--Kate Wolf, "An Unfinished Life"
EatinHardtack
14ers: 42  20  3 
13ers: 79 32 2
Trip Reports (8)

Post by EatinHardtack »

Sorry for your loss. When my little girl goes I know it'll be one of the hardest days of my life. My puppy Scout and I have close to 70 summits together. Her hips are starting to go as she not only climbed with me but spent most of her life with me at work. I feel for ya man, remember the good times with Sawyer. Best wishes.
"In our youths our hearts were touched with fire" - Oliver Wendell Holmes
crossfitter
Trip Reports (7)

Post by crossfitter »

I'm so sorry for your loss. I had always hoped to meet Sawyer out on the trails but unfortunately our paths never crossed. From everything I have heard and read no one could hope for a better companion. I too lost my golden retriever to a sudden and unexpected illness several years ago; it was truly a crushing experience that words could not do justice.

Take solace in knowing that Sawyer had a wonderful, long life and through your journeys lived enough to fill a dozen lifetimes. The unconditional love for a great dog is a special and unique and can never be replaced, but the pain you are feeling now will fade. That bottomless pit will fill in over time, until it becomes a peaceful valley deep in your memory. When you go back there to visit Sawyer from time to time, it will be a quiet but warm place where you will fondly remember the best of times with him or even just the mundane little things. The grief of his loss will fade to nothing more than a gentle reminder to come back and visit every now and then.
- A mountain is not a checkbox to be ticked
- Alpinism and mountaineering are not restricted to 14,000 foot mountains
- Judgment and experience are the two most important pieces of gear you own
- Being honest to yourself and others about your abilities is a characteristic of experienced climbers
- Courage cannot be bought at REI or carried with you in your rucksack

mtnbikir
14ers: 23 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtnbikir »

Sorry about your loss. I very much enjoy hiking with my dog also.. and I know this day will come sometime to her as all of us. Feel for ya bro. Take a break, and if you are ready.. get another.. You seem like an awesome Dog parent! See you out there.
Summit Stomper
14ers: 40 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Summit Stomper »

Sorry to hear about you're special companion! My Springer is going to be 10 this year and I've started to wonder when I will see her slowing down. I do not look forward to the day. You have had a great time together and I wish our dogs could live so much longer than they do. This (pain)too shall pass! There have been many wonderful posts by your 14er friends/family. In time, go climb that last one in memory/tribute to your doggy!
Teeth to the wind!
mtgirl
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 104
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtgirl »

:cry: :cry: :cry:
I'm so sorry, Josh. I know there are no words right now that can ease your pain. I know, exactly, what you are going thru. It's been nearly a year since I had to put my yellow lab, Yukon, to rest. It was by far the hardest thing I've done, and it took my heart a long time to heal. I finished climbing the 14ers on August 12th, and I said goodbye to Yukon on August 13th. A year has passed, and I'm finally able to speak of him and smile, instead of cry, knowing that I gave him the best life a dog could ever wish for. I miss his companionship and loyalty. I've started the cycle of life over, and now have a 7 month old chocolate lab, Tillman, that's healed my heart. When the time is right, I hope you do the same.

Go climb Capitol, in honor of Sawyer. Wishing you peace in the days, weeks, and months ahead.
"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."
Crestoner
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Crestoner »

Josh:

I am very sorry to hear of Sawyer's passing. I congratulate you on a long outstanding climbing partnership and all that the two of you accomplished in those first 11 years.

The only problem with dogs...they just don't live long enough. But what they lack in quantity is more than compensated for in the quality of their lives and friendship.

He has a new climbing partner in Scooby.

Hang in there, Josh. Drop me a line if you want to talk.

Dave
Jeff Valliere
14ers: 58  1  15 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (8)

Post by Jeff Valliere »

Oh man, so sorry to hear this Josh. The bonds those of us who climb mountains with our dogs is like no other. Sharing so many miles on the trail, so many good times, the shared enthusiasm and love for the summits. That loyalty and friendship is really impossible to put into words (though you did a great job), but know that many here, myself for sure, understand what Sawyer meant to you and how painful this must be. I often times lament that dogs have WAY WAY WAY too short of a lifespan, it is just not fair that a tortoise or parrot (no offense to tortoises or parrots) will live as long or longer than we do, yet dogs, who many of us bond with as we would another human, who truly become a key part of our family live for only a fraction of that.

I really regret that we never got to share a summit with you and Sawyer. Hang in there and let me know if there is anything I can do or if you want to talk. Jeff.