Dogs ok climbing Castle/Conundrum?

Dogs, dogs and even some cats
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Summit Stomper
14ers: 40 
Trip Reports (0)

Dogs ok climbing Castle/Conundrum?

Post by Summit Stomper »

I have a Springer Spaniel that I have done several 14ers with. None that were more than a 2 difficulty. She has had no problems doing them with a pack. How hard do you think this one would be? thanks
Teeth to the wind!
dehrlich101
14ers: 46  2 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (21)

Re: Dogs ok climbing Castle/Conundrum?

Post by dehrlich101 »

I have a Australian Cattle Dog, he was able to do both castle and conundrum no problem last summer. We didn't descend from Conundrum, we went back up Castle and went down the regular way. Dropping down into the scree from Conundrum could cut up dog paws.
I am glad I shall never be young without wild country to be young in - Aldo Leopold

Support Colorado Search and Rescue - CORSAR Card

LOJ
GeezerClimber
14ers: 58 
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (0)

Post by GeezerClimber »

I've climbed Castle twice and saw some dogs. One was being carried by its owner---cut paws. There is a lot of small, sharp rock. If you bring a dog, I'd also bring booties just in case.

Dave
OscarMayerSweener
14ers: 39 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by OscarMayerSweener »

Took my black lab up Castle last year. Her paws did fine - she's an experienced 14er pooch. She did have trouble with the one cliffy (Class 2+ maybe) move on Castle's northeast ridge. There's enough snow up there that if your dog is good with snow it will save her paws a lot of wear and tear. Good luck!
edhaman
14ers: 15 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (0)

Post by edhaman »

I know this has a "here we go again" tone, but, as many have said on this general subject: unless you are prepared, willing, and able to carry your injured or ill dog back to the car, don't take it. I'll admit that the odds are with you for a safe trip, but what if...
tlongpine
14ers: 27  1  2 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (4)

Post by tlongpine »

edhaman wrote:I know this has a "here we go again" tone, but, as many have said on this general subject: unless you are prepared, willing, and able to carry your injured or ill dog back to the car, don't take it. I'll admit that the odds are with you for a safe trip, but what if...
Groooooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn.

Is it the unsolicited and sanctimonious advice hour? Can I play?

Unless you are prepared, willing, and able to carry lots of water bring a pump.

Unless you are prepared, willing, and able to climb mountains barefoot without developing blisters and sores on your feet, wear shoes.

Unless you are prepared, willing, and able tolerate rain, bring a shell.
I am unable to walk away from the mountain without climbing it. An unclimbed mountain tugs at my consciousness with the eternal weight of time itself. Until I've pressed my face into it's alpine winds, hugged it's ancient granite walls, and put it's weathered summit beneath my heal I'm unable to resist it's attraction.Knowing nature gives the mountain more time than she gives us adds urgency to the obsession. As has been said before; the mountain doesn't care.

It can wait forever. I cannot.
jmanner
14ers: 58  28  10 
13ers: 55 14 3
Trip Reports (15)

Post by jmanner »

tlongpine wrote:
edhaman wrote:I know this has a "here we go again" tone, but, as many have said on this general subject: unless you are prepared, willing, and able to carry your injured or ill dog back to the car, don't take it. I'll admit that the odds are with you for a safe trip, but what if...

Unless you are prepared, willing, and able to climb mountains barefoot without developing blisters and sores on your feet, wear shoes.

Really dude? :wft:

FYI: My husky made it no problem on Castle back in June '10. We didn't get Conundrum due to a spring blizzard. He was fine, but tired. As I recall the only other person up there also had a dog and they had a great time as well.
A man has got to know his limitations.-Dr. Jonathan Hemlock or Harry Callahan or something F' it: http://youtu.be/lpzqQst-Sg8

'Life is too short to ski groomers'

"That man's only desire was to stand, once only, on the summit of that glorious wedge of rock...I think anyone who loves the mountains as much as that can claim to be a mountaineer, too."-Hermann Buhl, Nanga Parbat Pilgrimage
tlongpine
14ers: 27  1  2 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (4)

Post by tlongpine »

jmanner wrote:
tlongpine wrote:

Really dude? :wft:
My mistake. I thought this thread had become a place to offer condescending advice in response to no specific example. I guess that's only acceptable if dogs are the topic. :-k
I am unable to walk away from the mountain without climbing it. An unclimbed mountain tugs at my consciousness with the eternal weight of time itself. Until I've pressed my face into it's alpine winds, hugged it's ancient granite walls, and put it's weathered summit beneath my heal I'm unable to resist it's attraction.Knowing nature gives the mountain more time than she gives us adds urgency to the obsession. As has been said before; the mountain doesn't care.

It can wait forever. I cannot.
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtree »

It's perfectly fine to leave your dog if it can't make it out. Others have done it. Just call SAR when you get in range. Besides, if the pooch isn't prepared to survive on its own, it shouldn't be hiking anyway.
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.